Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Metropolitan Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spirit2028
Username: Spirit2028

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A recent video of the Metropolitan Building.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=adMKG2 glttw

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 703
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, nothing like spelling it out for the whole world to see and ruining a fairly well-kept secret. Can't wait to see what's taken from this place and/or more destroyed now thanks to the in-depth look you're giving everyone. Won't it be great when all the Royal Joak highschoolers find this video and start invading the place like they do the MCS, precipitating its otherwise lumbersome decay.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4097
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you were going to post this, at all, you probably should have done it in the existing thread on this building:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/172588.html

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So irritating.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2338
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

amaturish, childish, innane ... a classic example of what is wrong with urbex assholes.

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You do realize that there are people that go to these places that do other things besides documenting, right?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps these videos can be used as evidence in your prosecution?

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you kidding me with this....a video of a vacant building with some verbal documentation of the moment is getting boo hooed. I found it interesting. All people who have the desire to destroy or strip out have done it and will continue to discover other building's and will do the same. You did not seem to destroy anything, you simply walked through it, that is the illegal
thing.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can't wait to see what's taken from this place and/or more destroyed"

I agree in most cases. You don't want to encourage it. But with the Metropolitan, the front door was, literally, wide open. What's left to take? What's left to destroy? I'm a hard-core preservationist, but between the contamination, unsound structure, ineptness of the owner (the City of Detroit), location, etc., etc., this one's prospects of saving are slim to none. Next time you're in it (or close enough to get a good look), take a look at how the windows were done in this building and the damage to the brick around them.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The narration sounds like it could be Pat Caputo's son.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 706
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswith, I have been many times, and I can say that the building is far from being in a hopeless state and is in fact quite salvageable. And the door is only wide open when it's left wide open by inept urban explorers; typically the door is shut and is quite hard to push open. It is true that the CoD does not do a good job securing this building, but there is plenty left there to save and preserve, including the original wrought-iron railings, plaster & tile work in the lobby, and more.

I spoke to the developer a week ago and he assures me that the building will not be destroyed by the city without his consent. He and a partner have full development rights, but the CoD owns the building and is responsible for its upkeep & security. However, plans still exist for the building (apartments for rent) and it is not hopeless. Yes, the windows would have to be replaced, but big deal. The building is structurally sound and still has many of its original architectural elements that are very desirable for developers and tenants. But for now the fact that the building is open should be kept quiet, for the sake of the city, its citizens, and the building itself. We cannot afford another tragic raping of an historic structure (MCS). If scrappers or irresponsible people et. al come across this youtube video, it will be Christmas in February for them. So I say to Spirit and others like him: do the smart thing, and STFU and don't ruin a good thing just because you want to show people you visited an abandoned building.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 774
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who has development rights and until when?

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 707
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we spoke in confidentiality, it would be improper of me to display his name online, but I will say that it is a noted downtown nightclub owner. He and a partner have development rights until 2014.

Back when I first visited the Metropolitan Building in 2003 I knew it needed to be saved against all odds. Not only that but it seemed (for a while at least) to be the area's "best kept urban exploration secret". A few months back I started tracking down its ownership. As it turns out the CoD does, in fact, own the building, and are responsible for its security. However, the CoD must bow to the developers who have exclusive rights to the building thanks to a needless-to-say "interesting" agreement back in the mid-1990s. After some research, and a lot of asking around downtown, I tracked down the developer, who was, as it turns out, right under my nose the whole time. He assures me that the building is safe, so long as it's in his hands, but he's certainly unhappy about everyone, and this includes me, tromping through the place like we own it -- which we don't -- and is rightfully concerned about its preservation. The more people know about this building, the more they will try to get in, and the more it will deteriorate. This video does not help.

Ktkeller08
Username: Ktkeller08

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I'm not an urban explorer nor am I really a Detroit regular, but even I knew this building was vacant. Maybe I am ignorant to as to who urban explorers are (I assume they destroy stuff?) but it doesn't take a whole lot of looking around to find out that the Metropolitan building is vacant (and the same goes for every major vacant building in and around Detroit). I guess I just thought it wasn't much of a secret at all.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2973
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that building being abandoned and wide open was ever a secret, it was the worlds worst secret. That bitch has been open for years and years and the people on this thread are the first Ive ever heard of who might be surprised by this.

How about bitching about some owners for a change. Thats whos fault an abandoned building is, period.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I don't think it's wise to trespass, or to video it and put it on the internet, I don't see how it's breaking and entering when the door is wide open. The owners should be prosecuted for not securing the building. Most people who go into the building probably plan to do something other than take videos.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 775
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the information Gsgeorge. You pretty much imply that nothing will happen to the building for the next 5 years.

Leannam1989, next time I see the front door of your home open, I hope you don;t mind that I just walk in.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the guy with develepment rights is Larry Mongo, actually it is his wife, but that is just a niffnaw.

I don't have time to do into the details, but in under the Archer administration's rush to spur the rehabbing of downtown they tossed around development rights like water in a hurricane.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 593
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is true that it is not breaking and entering to walk through a wide open door. It would be trespass, however.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 708
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ktkeller, not all urban explorers destroy stuff, in fact that is usually a small minority of them and they give the 'sport' a bad name. But urban explorers usually do their work discreetly, and do not post videos online of their every move. Usually they go for mysterious photos, or just to experience a building that has been long forgotten. Hanging out on the roof is common, as is exploring seldom-seen corners of structures, like utility rooms, attics, and sub-basements.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The owners should be prosecuted for not securing the building."

So what? The City of Detroit prosecute the City of Detroit itself? Good luck. :-)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, if any of our fair DY readers DO go urban exploring in the Metropolitan Building, I urge you all to wear masks or respirators, cuz that schitt is as Toxic as Britney Spears. No lyin'.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 719
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswith, thanks for the tip, but I feel fine.

Spirit2028
Username: Spirit2028

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, Thanks for the info. You are indeed correct. I spoke with Larry last evening and he confirmed it. He will be working with the developer of the Argonaut Building hopefully in the near future to turn things around at the Metropolitan. Despite what a lot of people think who post their opinions on this site, the reason I showed this video was not to accelerate the dismantling of an architectual gem. It was to get people talking about what to do etc. etc. etc... and to some degree maybe we can say mission accomplished. Now let's stay focused and make sure something positive happens. Larry surprisingly was not upset with me but unlike a lot of people on this forum he was concerned for me personally. He knows the building is not secure and homeless people at times will set up camp. Rather than wishing a homeless person would knock me off as many people hope for, he told me this type of exploring is dangerous. That point is accepted and duly noted. There may come a day when all abandoned buildings in Detroit have found a re-use. That day will come only after people collectively put on their thinking caps and come up with creative solutions. And while I'm posting let me add a few more comments. "Navi" is that you behind the camera lens ? "Lmichigan" thanks for providing the link to the previous thread and "Gsgeorge" can you share with everyone again the proper protocol for posting videos on the web. I wasn't aware of any of this until you decided to lay down the rules. As a side note, I was one of those kids who couldn't color between the lines. And finally thanks for everyone who adds something in general to any post. I get a wealth of information from this blog that rivals anything I can get from the TV stations, the radio, the newspapers or any other source. It seems this blog is 2 steps ahead of anyone else. And for that reason I am grateful.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.