Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Midtown wedding reception ideas? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Momohorn
Username: Momohorn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

My fiance and I are looking for a place to have a wedding reception in October (maybe the 9th or 10th) for around 125 people. We would love to use an empty loft space or art gallery. We have looked into all the places we could find online. We like Flat 151 (not in midtown), but it is a bit out of our price range. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got married on New Year's Eve in Detroit and we too looked at Flat 151. Great space, but expensive. We looked at some lofts _ many are empty _ for a venue but it didn't work out. Folks were just non responsive when we contacted developers and Realtors. Plus how would you handle parking?
Another cool place is the Guardian Building. At New Year's Eve it became cost prohibitive when the jacked up the rental from about $3,000 _ reasonable _ to I think over $5,000 _ and we had to use their caterers.
We ended up doing it at the Whitney. When it was first suggested to us, we thought it would be cost prohibitive, but it is very affordable. We had our complete ceremony there _ it was absolutely amazing on a landing in front of the stained glass windows with our families and friends on the steps and around the railing. The restaurant, on New Year's Eve, gave us the entire third floor, which includes the Ghost Bar.
Food and booze were great. Service was OK, we felt they were more concerned about their outdoor party than our party.
The price was a great value. It was essentially the menu price plus 21 percent service charge and then they through in the use of the restaurant and staff for free. Everywhere else we looked you had to pay several thousand dollars for the venue, and then use a caterer. To rent raw loft space, which we liked too, became expensive cuz you have to rent everything and have it hauled there and back. At the Whitney, they provide all the staff, set it up the way you want etc.
Go for the Whitney. you will not be disappointed.

Cloud_wall
Username: Cloud_wall

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Whitney sounds like a good option.

I haven't been there yet, but the gallery space at the Russell Bazaar might be an affordable option. They don't advertise event rentals on their website, but they seem to be open to discussion in general and they put on events of their own there.

Might not be what you're looking for in terms of ambience, location, etc., but it could be worth looking into.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you thought about the Model T factory (TPLEX) on Piquette Avenue? At night, you can see the Fisher building in all its glory from the West windows...

http://www.tplex.org/3_eventho sting.html

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

scarab club is great and can hold a max of about 125

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McGregor Memorial Conference Center on the Wayne State Campus is a great place for a reception with its Yamasaki-designed center atrium and unique exterior.

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Midtown, probably the most unique setting for a reception would be the Detroit Historical Museum ... the Streets of Old Detroit are just perfect for an event of your size.

I've DJed a number of receptions there.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might find something in this DYes Hall of Fame thread "Getting Married in the D":
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/115606.html?1226955 463

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to a wedding last August at the Gem Theatre..both ceremony and reception were held there. Beautiful place, size would be perfect for 125 or so guests.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went to a wedding at the scarab club and it was very, very nice. i also went to a wedding last year at the YWCA on jefferson (realize it's not midtown) and although the space would be a bit rough to some, i thought it was SWEET. beautiful old building. and it was stupidly cheap.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a wedding at the Masonic several years ago and it was pretty sweet. Of course I can't even remember which room the actual reception was in now... but it was definitely one of the coolest wedding venues I've been to.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.