Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Retail Survival Toolkit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So our retail is going belly-up at an alarming rate. The biggest problem with this for most Detroiters is not that tourists will no longer be impressed with downtown, but of us having even fewer places to shop.
Let's make a list of businesses we can support that are analogous businesses to the ones that closed! In the city only please. If you do not wish to respect this, do not post on this thread.

MCB: Since most of the Starbucks closed as well, this one is important. Is Jazzy Cafe on Grand River near Harmonie Park still open? What about that place on Griswold?
And of course, Le Petit Zinc! I can't wait to try it.
http://web.mac.com/karimasorel /iWeb/LePetitZinc/LePetitZinc. html

Zaccaros: The Nov 1st Freep had a list of the best grocers in the city. Because they're bastards, they charge to read archives, even though I have a subscription(for unknown reasons). If anyone is dedicated enough they could get the article from the library and scan it.
Harbortown and University are much more affordable and practical alternatives to Zaccaro's. I only went to that place once anyway.

Athlete's Foot/J Bees: Help me out with this one. Other than the Payless south of the Boulevard on Woodward and the one in Vernor in SW, by Junction, I don't really buy shoes. Any good athletic shoes places in town? By the way, I know it is Payless, but the staff at those two have always been extremely nice.

Sweet Georgia Brown- ?

Borders- the Barnes and Noble at Warren and Woodward, and John King's. Is that little place in the Ren Cen still open?

Avis - ?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the clothing stores? Serman's, Henry the Hatter downtown, the retailers in the 7/Liv area, the whole spate of retail, restaurant and tavern operations in the West Vernor neighborhoods.

There are lots of other areas, and I ought to be more specific, so if you can be, please do.

Deteamster, do you include the inurbs as "City" for the purpose of this thread? (HP, Hamtramck)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzy Espresso is indeed open, and they get weekly business from me. Mike would appreciate everyone coming in, I'm sure. It's very indie and hip - quirky, if you will.

Book store in the Rencen is closed, I believe.

As to shoes, I think I've seen athletic shoes at the place on Monroe in the white garage (not City Slicker, but next to it and they put their shoes out on the street). I don't really buy athletic shoes often (unlike Deteamster who apparently runs around shoeless... ;-) )

As for Avis, there's still the Enterprise in the Rencen. I almost always when needing a car or large van rental have used Enterprise or recommended it. They offer various discounts to employees of some companies, too, so ask. People forget about them sometimes because they're in the Rencen.

I am going to break the rules and recommend some other places, too.

Bureau of Urban Living I think is the most attractive layout of any shop in the city. It's urban and classy and others should use it as a gold standard of modern, clean, and edgy yet refined.

Pure Detroit I like but I always forget which location to go to to get which stuff as each one seems to have a focus.

Also, for newbies to downtown, I strongly suggest the tours at Inside Detroit, or if you've got friends coming into to town.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Deteamster, do you include the inurbs as 'City' for the purpose of this thread? (HP, Hamtramck)"

Sure!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3790
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to bring the thread down, but Zaccaros will be closing next week.

I know of 3 "Foot Lockers" in the city (7/Gratiot, 8 Mile/Dequindre, Jefferson/Dickerson and Warren/Conner). Plus, I know of 2 more Athlete's Foot/J Bees (7/Gratiot and Warren/Conner). Then there's a Footaction in Bel-Air Centre.

City Airport has an Enterprise dealer.

Arguably, the Barnes and Nobles at Mack and Moross is in the city (but they pay taxes to Grosse Pointe).

As for Coffee, Tim Hortons opened their first Detroit location inside an old Starbucks (inside the Millender Center).

(Message edited by DetroitRise on February 10, 2009)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4471
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Woodward Resturant inside the Compuware Building has went to out of business. The court seized the property just weeks ago. What more downtown retail is closing. Downtown Detroit is becoming a instant ghostown.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 460
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Bigby Coffee just opened on Woodward in Midtown.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2239
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What could be very beneficial would be some sort of centralized database that would specialize in Detroit retail. Who knows, it could be a money maker as you could actually sell ads to generate income.

Darned shame I'm not web savvy. I tried to create one years ago for the Warrendale area just to keep keep people aprised at what businesses were around but I ran into big problems getting it to be searchable.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is that little place in the Ren Cen still open

The RenCen Borders has been closed for a while now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.