Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Zaccaros market » Archive through February 09, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcsuperstar
Username: Jcsuperstar

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zaccaro's market is liquidating their inventory and closing the store. I talked to the manager this morning who informed me so I could pick up some equipment I have there. Very sad.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!!! It hasn't been a year has it?

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 533
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to ruin my morning.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very bad news, but not unexpected in this economic climate.

Sigh...

D_parcells
Username: D_parcells

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is really unfortunate. They could have succeeded, but the owner kept trying to do more and more things out of that space instead of concentrating on doing one thing well (groceries etc.). Good concept, poor execution from an owner with zero retail or food experience who kept hiring people with zero experience.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 768
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^????

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spot on, D_parcells - from waiting 30 minutes to get some cheese sliced (and not because of crowds) to a general lack of knowledge about products to an inconsistent selection of perishable items (produce, meat, cheese), regular shopping there was difficult. I am not going to make a trip in the interest of charity, but rather need and convenience. If I cannot get what I need on a regular basis, then why go back and continue to be disappointed.

I will miss their Michigan beer selection. One of the best.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved this place, and supported them as often as I could. They got a nice selection of things you can't find at a your common markets. This is really going to be a loss.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

30 minutes to "cut the cheese?!"

I could have done that in 30 seconds!

But seriously, perhaps the owner(s) should have set up some training for the managers/staff.

I think Zingermans in Ann Arbor offers training for food-based businesses. And Zingerman's does a marvelous amount of quality customer service.

(Message edited by DetroitPetanque on February 09, 2009)

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 486
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F! I really hope this is not true.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sucks to hear. However, from the start, I thought they should have opened their store closer to the Wayne State/Cultural district. They would've had much more foot traffic. When I would tell other students about the market, many of them would say "huh, where's that?." Zaccaro's left the only real market in the immediate area untapped.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 677
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess it's true what they say, it is cold in the D!

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait for the lawsuits to start! Cindy Warner has had how many failed businesses now?

Barebain
Username: Barebain

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, most everything they carried could be found cheaper at the various Eastern Market shops (Hirt, Cost Plus, Rocky), and their produce selection was far too limited (and costly) to make it worth frequent trips. Sadly, stories of lagging customer service were generally true, although the service did seem to get a little better with time.

And yes, I agree that the well priced and extensive Michigan beer selection will be missed.

My only concern is that this may scare off a future retailer with similar, but better executed, ambitions.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 852
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though this doesn't surprise me. I would prefer if this was validated by someone with more than 1 post.

No offense Jcsuperstar.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 364
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got an email from Zaccaro's saying goodbye and thanks. crap.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The store will be selling off their remaining inventory at 20% starting this week.
very sad.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this was known already. This makes two failed Zaccaros.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waiting for Mikem's post to be censored in 3...2...1...

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, that's exactly why you NEVER sign a personal guarantee for your LLC. The whole point of the LLC is to shield yourself from liability when things to south.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me and you know it oh too well D Parcells... It really wasn't that a store like that couldn't thrive it was that it was 8 stores in one and not one was done correctly.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sucks to hear this is closing. Yes the store was overprice, but it was open past 5 and I support local as much as possible.

I also liked going their to oogle that smoking hot girl with the curly locks. Should have made my move when I had the chance!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just me or do others feel like there is nothing left of the progress made in Detroit in the past decade...

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its amazing to think that she had visions of opening 5 to 10 in detroit alone, but could not focus on having a strong enough platform to run one... It is sad, there are alot of great people who worked there but its hard to sustain business when you buy your stock from a mile away and price it higher and to blame others for the mistakes the owner made... With the management mary go round and the uneasy distructive culture that one person can create it is truely sad. Cindy is a capitalist, who never took the time to get to know our fair city, and tried to come in and build a store within a month and capitalize on a much needed necesity in Detroit; Quality grocers.
I feel that if she nurtured connections that she made instead of napoleon complex that she came in with the business would of flourished. Unfortunately she cut corners, and expected Detroit to bow at her feet for putting a 4900 sq ft grocer in Brush Park. The concept was great, the workers were great, but with out the power to change that mentality no one could change it besides Warner. I urge anyone else who understands the area to pick up the pieces and run with them. A business like this can succeed, even in the area it was in. But know you have to have the correct mentality going in and know it will be a tough road but in the end it can flourish. I know how desperately Detroit needs Grocers and feel so sad that Cindy Warner abused and capitalized on what should have been a great business. If she kept prices low and adjusted to give workers proper training and customer service, than even Zaccaro's could have flourished but with the 100 percent markup and lack of focus that Warner had, great people lost jobs and future business could possibly be hindered... My heart goes out to those workers and I hope you all can find work in these tough times.

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on February 09, 2009)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5241
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it was a management issue then someone might be able to step in and make a go of it.

I've often wondered if a co-op would work again in these times. Ann Arbor's is still going.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a multitude of things but above all she wanted to make it a store for detroits elite not a store for Detroit which was completely impracticle...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit News has an article online now - closing within 10 day

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4469
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrible! Zaccaros only open their market just a over 7 months ago and now they closing down. What a waste of money. I knew that he shouldn't open a store in a crackhead community.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her agreement to pay $15/ft gross rent was the kiss of death from the minute she signed the lease.

It was a ridiculous rate for the location, and if I read the complaint correctly, she was required to pay for tenant upgrades (the failure to so having resulted in the liens.)

Well run supermarket chains with significant buying power are lucky to gross 1.5% to 2% on sales. They can make substantial profits because they can control costs, provide unlimited free parking, have superior buying power, and most important, deal in large volumes. They don't pay $15/ft for raw space.

With only 4900 sq feet of space she didn't have the space to run loss leaders. She probably received little or no support from suppliers, primarily because she didn't purchase enough stuff to make it worthwhile, and according o a friend who shopped there once, there was no parking.

Business is no place for amateurs. To succeed in business in Detroit, one not only has to be extremely skilled, have deep pockets, but much, much luck. It appears Ms. Warner was not skilled in business, was undercapitalized, and very unlucky. Too bad.

The landlord should have known better. The blind leading the blind. The landlord must have figured Ms. Warner was very collectible and therefore unconcerned about the credit of the tenant.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for the record, there is plenty of parking in the back of the building.