Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Ikea Shuttle From Downtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS is genius.

Was listening to the news, and I guess March 7th, Ikea is going to start doing shuttles of up to 40 people (I'm sure more if there's more demand) to their Canton Ikea store from Campus Martius.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you get the stuff home?

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a good idea, but I think they got it backwards in the first place. They should have used that big-ass parking lot in Canton as a park-and-ride lot and built the store downtown!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3792
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It is a good idea, but I think they got it backwards in the first place. They should have used that big-ass parking lot in Canton as a park-and-ride lot and built the store downtown!

Agreed.

But you must understand, this is METRO DETROIT (bizzarro world).

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 361
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus the Canton site is halfway between Detroit and Ann Arbor, and an easy freeway exit from Toledo, Lansing, and everywhere in between. People drive for hours to shop at Ikea.

Krapug
Username: Krapug

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IKEA has operated a bus shuttle from Manhattan to it's store in Elizabeth NJ for years. It has become a regular NYC "thing".

They do deliver (for a fee), but at least for the NY-NJ Bus crowd they offer reduced deivery fees.

Enjoy the sweedish meatballs !

Ken

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 882
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waymooreland, I don't know for sure, you may have said it 'tongue in cheek', but it's an excellent idea. It's an idea for city planners to consider seriously.

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friday I took the free Ikea water taxi from Wall Street to the new(er) Brooklyn Ikea. It was amazing! I think the Ikea shuttle in Detroit is a great idea.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to say, but an Ikea in downtown Detroit would be a really bad thing. They do not do urban-form stores, like Target does, for instance. It doesn't fit their model.

Do you really want what's out in Canton to be downtown? Because that's what they build.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focussonthed-

I would want a suburban type store downtown, But that much traffic, foot or car, world be amazing for Detroit right now!

image- 300,000 sf Flagship Ikea on Hudson block! You get me?, .,.,..

<313>

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 920
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit can have Cantons traffic. My one cousin drove to Pittsburgh I belive to go to Ikea.If you go to Ikea, It's a 3 hr tour, Thats just trying to find the exit.

Roq
Username: Roq

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 6:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
It is a good idea, but I think they got it backwards in the first place. They should have used that big-ass parking lot in Canton as a park-and-ride lot and built the store downtown

That is not IKEA's business model.

Huraporta
Username: Huraporta

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most people go to Ikea to buy inexpensive furniture. How are you going to bring home a table or bookcase using a shuttle?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3754
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Building an Ikea downtown would require leveling several buildings for parking.

I have taken the Ikea shuttle from Manhattan to Elizabeth, NJ. It's a very convenient service and they probably make an enormous amount of money by offering it.

You can buy one of those cheap Ikea bags to carry your smaller items, and have the larger items delivered. It's really not much different than carrying things across a parking lot to your car, except the shuttle bus will probably pick you up at the door.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3673
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ikea is finally going after the lucrative downtown Detroit market, eh?

lol

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" If you build it, they will come "( even if they have to take a shuttle ! )

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is actually not bad at all taking most of your purchases back on the shuttle. Big things should be delivered but even with paying for delivery, you end up saving $. An urban Ikea would be goofy...it might fit ok in a vast open space, such as the old Tiger Stadium site (I'm not saying build it there, but something similar). I do, however think that an urban Target or something would be nice in maybe Midtown.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chicago-area Ikea is far from the city, too. I think it's in Naperville. I don't think Ikea management envisions their stores in urban areas, or even inner-ring suburbs. Target, on the other hand, is good at incorporating their stores in urban environments. There's one in the South Loop and one on the north side, more vertical than suburban stores, built above the parking lot, with escalators for shopping carts.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 749
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the shuttle idea, but who really is going to meet up at CM to take a bus to Ikea? Downtowner's (doubt there are enough to make this profitable). For me, it takes 20 minutes to drive to CM and park, then we have another 30 minute bus drive to Canton (50 min total not counting time waiting for a bus to show up and load). Or I can just drive to Ikea from home in 40 minutes.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IKEA has delivery service so you'd have to use that if you went on the shuttle.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What if the shuttle from Campus Martius to Canton had a cavernous space underneath (like those chartered buses have) and you could pack your purchases (they usually box them flat at IKEA) in there for a slight fee.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IKEA sells small stuff too, guys.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chicago IKEA is in Schaumberg. Kinda like Chicago's version of Troy.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3758
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What if the shuttle from Campus Martius to Canton had a cavernous space underneath (like those chartered buses have)

Most likely, the Ikea shuttle will be a coach bus like that. In NYC, they contract one of those coach bus companies to serve as their shuttle.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there are 5 Ikeas in the NYC metro area, but the only one I've been to recently is in Red Hook, Brooklyn. I believe it's their only urban location in the US. It's custom-tailored to NYC living, and they feature a number of enclosed showrooms of various small NYC apartment sizes:
"This is My xxx-sq-ft Apartment, and it's My Favorite Place in the Whole World"
You walk inside, and it's smartly designed from ceiling-to-floor with every space-saving item that Ikea has to maximize the space.

It's right on Brooklyn's East River waterfront. In addition to a number of shuttles, they also run the Ikea ferry boat, zipping customers to & from lower Manhattan, maybe a nautical mile away.

I know for years they used to run shuttle busses out of the Port Authority in Manhattan to their Elizabeth, NJ location (as Iheartthed can attest). Not sure if they're still running these shuttles since Ikea Brooklyn opened last year.

As far as the Campus Martius > Canton shuttle goes, I'm curious about it's volume. Shuttles & ferries are a no-brainer in NYC, but Detroit is a car-based culture...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.