Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Remember Oslo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just thinking about the businesses that have closed up shop -- some I will miss because I enjoyed shopping/eating there regularly (Zaccaro's, The Woodward) and others I will miss just because they filled out downtown, but didn't really provide goods or services that I frequently needed or desired (Avis, Athelete's Foot).

In any case, I think that we can take some solace in looking at how Oslo was reopened -- something I never thought would happen after it closed down the first time -- and find some hope that individuals with the means and the desire to pick up the pieces from some of these shuttered businesses and build something sustainable will step up and do so.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've passed by OSLO on the way to the crepe shop around the corner on John-R "Good Girls go to Paris Crepes"

The problem is that there just isn't marketing in any fashion in Detroit. Unless you're 15 feet in front of the place, you wouldn't even know it was open for Thai/Sushi.

Detroit businesses don't have sufficient foot traffic - and the folks in the buildings down near Fort/Jefferson are incredibly lazy in that they scream bloody murder if they have to walk more than 2 blocks for their food.

Granted, if there were intermediary shops along the way to actually attract foot-traffic, then perhaps these "far and away" (smirk) places would get more business.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foot traffic is not a problem at 2AM in front of OSLO. I was there to go clubbing, and that area was full of people including OSLO.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last time I passed Athlete's Foot, they had the window in front broken out (and that was when they were open). Didn't know they had shut down.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.