Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Tubbys Closed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 585
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the Tubbys at Fort and Washington Blvd. has bitten the dust.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5257
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bummer - though it always felt so isolated in an ocean of parking lots

Hopefully they'll turn up in a better location.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The service wasn't so great there. I didn't like going in there. Still, it stinks that they had to close.

The Tubby's in Hamtramck (Holbrook and Conant) seriously has the best service I've ever had at a fast food place.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And so it continues...

Those 30,000 out of towners coming in 6 weeks for the final four sure are in for the show of a lifetime! Having been to 4 final fours in the last 10 years I can tell you that one's experience at the event is not dictated just on your team's performance...people will spend a ton of time trying to learn this city. There will not be much left here for them to enjoy.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt that. I expect places will open, rather suddenly, just in time for all those visitors, then close just as abruptly. Strike while the iron is hot.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That place has been open for 10 years plus - so it's location worked for it - I used to go there when I first started working downtown.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like there are a lot of things closing down downtown lately. This economy is killing everything.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure a new sandwich place is opening there. There was an ad on Craigslist looking for employees for a sandwich place and the guy said he was in the old tubby's downtown. This was a month ago

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 283
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron Cameron is a partner in the new sub shop that is moving into the Washington Blvd. location. Yes, the same Ron Cameron that was a talk show host on WXYZ and later co-hosted Sports View Today with Bob Page.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're talking about the Tubby's at Washington Blvd and Lafayette across from the federal courthouse, it has been closed for quite a few months already for "remodeling." I went there about a year ago and got a chicken sub, and when I got back to my office across the street it was soggy and soaking wet for some God forsaken reason. First and last visit.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 501
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No!!! I loved this Tubbys! Yes, the location was old and sometimes service slow, but it was a reliable and often convenient place to grab a quick bite in the downtown area, without having to run into the RenCen or Millender, or some place else. Hope the remodeling comes to fruition once things pick back up, there's nothing like eating a "famous" surrounded by the downtown skyline.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 709
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure that's the Tubby's that has been for sale for a few years online. If I remember the listing correctly the owner was a doctor who did not have the time to devote to the business.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 921
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Didn't Ron Cameron open up the 24 hr Deli down by the airport a few years back? That place is now the Toarminas Pizza on Merriman. I hope the new place can make a go of it.

(Message edited by reddog289 on February 12, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.