Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Charlie Manos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody remember Detroit News columnist Charlie Manos? There's nothing out there on the Net about him. I remember fondly his love for his mutt Rosie.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 808
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was a good columnist. If my memory serves me, Rosie was named for (I think) the Wolverines going to the Rose Bowl.

Only reference to him on the web was in regard to the Hot Pants contest.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 380
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hope i have this right. in 1964, candy geer wrote the poem - "six white horses". it was about her feelings about watching john-john at jfk's funeral. i believe she worked for charlie manos at the paper. somewhere i have a signed copy of the book, with an article written by him about it. i'll look for it tonight

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manos had this in his column and I carried the clipping in my wallet for years. Realized not too long ago that it was a Pete Seeger lyric:

I get up each morning and dust off my wits
Open the paper and read the obits
If I'm not there, I know I'm not dead
So I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 458
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was kind of like Bob Talbert. Some folks just loved the guy, others could care less. They both had a following with their columns.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was a backer of the Michigan Humane Society, raised a ton of money for them back in his day.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 352
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my mom worked at a dry cleaner place on Morang near Kelly. She came out of the back room to wait on a customer, and found him standing there with a ski mask on and pointing a gun at her. He asked her "does this mask look OK?", and she calmly replied "yes, it looks fine", and then he proceeded with the robbery. I called Charlie Manos and he got a huge kick out of the guy asking about his mask. He wrote it up in his column later that week.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.