Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Who do you want to see on City Council? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who would you like to see on City Council who isn't warming a seat there currently?

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see some of these recently( within the last year) retired auto execs/managers who grew up in the city return home and run.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 685
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me be the first to nominate (and I would collect the needed signatures myself if needed) .... C U B!

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 602
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it official, Cub is in the running?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CUB, Tobocman, Clarke....

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub and Gnome have my vote.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 686
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he accepts my nomination . . .

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9408
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He should change his name to Rev. Cub Conyers Cockrell Young to improve his chances.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3635
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Run Cub, Run!

English
Username: English

Post Number: 437
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a way to force the ward system on the folks back home? Sigh...

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the folks would like the ward system. However, City Council voted down the chance to amend the Charter and the chance to create a ward system (among other things).

*hug*

English

Post Number: 440
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Lodgedodger. I really, really want Detroit to get better, and having representation from ALL of Detroit's communities is key to that.

I'm a card-carrying daughter of Detroit's black middle class. But I've long criticized us for shutting out others. Where is our SW Detroit rep? Our Corktown rep? Our North End rep? Heck, I grew up in the Livernois-Davison area... how 'bout a rep for my old 'hood?

I wish we could have something that's more like the aldermen in a nearby metropolis that I won't name. If there were double or triple the Council members at 1/2 or even 1/3 of the salary, I think more would get done...

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Gnome running too? Who is he in real life?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7730
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is Gnome running too? Who is he in real life?

"A riddle wrapped up in an enigma?"

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 453
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary Brown

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count Scary should run.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 688
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English, if Cub accepts my nomination he would push to amend the charter to allow wards.

Cub I know you hear me calling you . . .

can you hear me? can you hear me running? can you hear me running, can you hear me calling you . . .

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post, English. I've thought for a long time that Detroit needs more council members, each representing a district. Advocacy, and action.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although, having more council members means less power per council member. I think that would be a good thing, because that would make it impossible for one or two to run roughshod over the others. With 20 or 25 council members, they'd have to form coalitions. No one member would be that visible or powerful, yet each would be accountable to constituents.

OK, sorry for the hijack. Gary Brown. Hansen Clarke. Glenn Oliver.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about my family friend - Joan Gist...she fared pretty well and for the life of me I can't understand why she wants to run again but I am going to support her and give her all the help she needs.'

She was endorsed by the News and The Freep last time.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 739
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bozo the Clown

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could forumers please post some sort of informational link to the candidates they suggest? Most people probably know who Hansen Clark and Steve Tobocman are because they hold/just held public office, but I am thinking a lot of people don't know much about Joan Gist or Glenn Oliver.

Crosswordgirl
Username: Crosswordgirl

Post Number: 466
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

trainman, the question is "who do you want to see" not "who is already there......"

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey. Me? No. Never. Nada. and when did I become the enigma around here? That's PlyRes' gig.

Cub, should run, if for no other reason than to dip his toe in the water.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When is the deadline for filing?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe its may

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090123/M ETRO/901230370

May 12th to be exact! I will voulunteer to get your name out, I am sure many others would here as well.

English

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck to Cub and all forumers running for CoD offices... please don't let our region's history discourage you. Things are changing nationwide.

People are desperate for change and they want to put GOOD people in office. If you spend the time walking the neighborhoods, knocking on doors, and getting to know people, making the personal connection? You'll win. (The Detroiters I know aren't so much xenophobic as they are against carpetbaggers.)

I think sincere and hardworking candidates in the D ought to take a page from the President's book. Six years ago, who would've thought that downstate IL would vote for some dude named Obama? And three years ago, who would've thought that he'd win IN and NC? Same thing goes here, but in reverse. :-)

I wish you well. Let us know what we can do to help you!

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 711
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cub, if you do run, I will collect signatures and I'll be happy to canvas my neighborhood for you. Usually campaigns cost beau coup money but we know that grass root organizations can work.

Vantanna
Username: Vantanna

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bootney Farnsworth.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny that this thread got started. Yesterday over lunch, I made a list of the smartest, hardest working and most honest people that I know who live in Detroit. These are the the people that I want to see run for the Detroit City Council.

Cub, by the way, was one of them.

My task over this weekend is to convince each of them to run for the Council as part of a slate. None of them have much cash behind them. However, if they combine resources, they could run a very viable campaign.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tobocman, Burt Johnson, Hansen Clarke

Original63
Username: Original63

Post Number: 478
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bozo the Clown:

Kwame the Clown was enough

Moronica is too Much

No More Celebrities

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that some of the others were helped along by family/name recognition, but what did Watson, Collins, Kenyatta, Jones, and Tinsley-Talabi do prior to being elected to city council?

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 655
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well lets see, Watson was with the NAACP, radio host community person

Collins was one of the worst US house members in history

Kenyatta was a community person, Wayne county commissioner

Tinsley-Talabi- east side community person

Jones- need help on her I'm not sure about her past political life

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 313
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda Jones came up through the labor unions, and had a lot of support from them. She was head of the Communication Workers Detroit local, and was involved in a lot of the black union organizations and activities in Detroit.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 314
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barbara-Rose Collins also served a previous 2 term run on the Council, before her time in Congress. She was also a State Rep for awhile. She's always been heavily supported by the Shrine of the Black Madonna / Black Slate organization, and is an active Shrine member.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 662
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsideal you are correct. Remember the issue with the Black slate and their endorsement for the US House when both women were members of the Shine at that time ?

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, you are a bit of a mystery person. In spite of that, you should run. You are smart, a clear-thinker, and can hold your own in an argument.

I'd planned to run, but I need to work a couple years longer. Also, I'd like to do more community service before I run.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who is a responsible adult. A change for the better!

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tyrone Biggum is a change for the better

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.