Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Political Mis-Speak « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Robtruth
Username: Robtruth

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was was shocked that no one followed up on Warren Evans' assertment that half of Detroit's population are wanted criminals.

On Let It Rip 2-12-2009, Sheriff Evans stated Detroit's population is 900,000 and 450,000 have outstanding warrants.

Maybe he can count shrimp better than people.

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I missed that. Could he have meant that there are a total of 450,000 outstanding warrants in the county? And/or some residents have more than one warrant?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2216
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go here to watch and listen to what he actually said (at about 3:20 into the video clip).

quote:

"We're in city of 900,000 with about 450 serious, career, predatory criminals"

(Message edited by Mikeg on February 13, 2009)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3502
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With a head for figgers like that, how can he lose? :-)

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mikeg, I played the clip repeatedly and got the same phrasing. The rest of the sentence (or a sentence fragment) was "and most of these are wanted."

I don't have a horse in this race, just a concern for accuracy.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 954
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were about 30,000 outstanding warrants in Wayne County (including Detroit) in June 2008 according to the U.S. Marshals:
http://www.usmarshals.gov/safe surrender/detroit.htm

I couldn't find specific numbers on Wayne County Sheriff's website, except that 12,000 felony fugitives have been arrested in the last 4 years:
http://www.waynecounty.com/she riff/fod-Warrant-Enforcement-B ureau.htm
and 28,000 felony warrants have been issued for failure to pay child support:
http://www.waynecounty.com/she riff/courts-division.htm#fceu

There should be (and may be) a list, with pictures, of all those on outstanding warrant. It would be a great way to get people involved in finding these people. (I just sent an email to Sheriff's office with this suggestion.)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Robtruth is assuming when he said "450" he actually meant "450,000"? I assume "450" means "450", a number between four hundred and five hundred, and is counting people, not thousands of people.

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am a native Detroiter and issues that affects Detroit do matter.

I was reading the Free Press this morning and I was reading about the City Council use of Detroit Police officers as their security. Barbara Rose-Collins was quoted saying the following:

"Detroit is a dangerous city, and council members need the unit, especially when they travel to community meetings at night. Conyers also agreed with keeping security for night meetings.

"I think the citizens should not mind us having security if we need it," Collins said.

Collins, who said she had an officer assigned to her full-time for a few weeks in the 1980s after receiving a death threat, said other cities don't have the crime rate and abandonment of Detroit that can make being a council member risky."

As a resident of this "dangerous city" I find this tone disgraceful. That a elected city official would go on record to say that the city of Detroit is so dangerous that City Council members need protection from their constituents. Only in Detroit right.....

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 513
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a neighborhood's community meeting is that dangerous, then maybe that shows how much more the actual city needs the police than the city council. The people in those neighborhoods LIVE there.

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can imagine desperados are itching to get their hands on a City Council member. Community meetings should be held on the weekend during the day since the night is so scary in Detroit. Perhaps I should not walk to the store after sunset so that I won't have to face these "rebel elements" in our society.

Robtruth
Username: Robtruth

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mea culpa for mis-interpreting the 450. Just a thought: Detroit is in Wayne County, n'est ce-pas? Evans is the HPPIC for Wayne County. His former wife was The City of Detroit HPPIC less than 6 months ago. Why can't the four hundred fifty "career" criminals be caught?

Oh, he's too busy counting baloney sandwiches sold and collect calls made at the WCJ.

Head Police Person In Charge (HPPIC).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.