Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Feds Watching DPS « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 544
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U.S. education secretary: 'I lose sleep' over Detroit schools

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090213/M ETRO/902130453

Jennifer Mrozowski / The Detroit News

The new U.S. Secretary of Education today singled out Detroit as the urban area he's most concerned about during comments on the federal stimulus package.

Arne Duncan told reporters in a conference call that Detroit hasn't done a good job of educating its students.

"Without getting into too many details, I am extraordinarily concerned about the poor quality of education, quite frankly, the children of Detroit are receiving," he said. "I lose sleep over that one. And I think the dropout rate there is devastating."
Detroit must improve the education system, he said, and the federal government is watching the system closely.

"There have been lots of adult issues and politics that I think have really done our children of Detroit a great disservice," he said.

Detroit Public Schools officials were not immediately commenting.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 932
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Obama can ask Jenny why she let DPS get to this sorry state as well.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

given the amount of federal tax dollars that have been fed into the DPS with little return by way of educated students, its no wonder.

Det_ard
Username: Det_ard

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not normally one for federal intervention in local schools but in our case I'll gladly make an exception.

Brownfieldguy
Username: Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it can do some good. Or at least scare those who have been pilfering the district for their own gain into stopping.

I think the State of Michigan is not able to rectify this situation. Furthermore, no way a Detroit Mayor is going to effect much in the way of change.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 499
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like "The Feds" are going to be quite busy with the City Of Detroit in the next few years.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4120
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, anyone know how well Arne Duncan managed as CEO of Chicago Public Schools? Chicago is one of those cities were the mayor has gotten his way and taken over the schools. Daley chose Arne Duncan back in 2001 before Obama folded him into his new administration.

Anyone know Arne's record?

From what I've been able to gather, Daley's been in control of the schools for nearly a decade-and-a-half, now, and the graduation rate has stayed at just above 50% over the entire period.

(Message edited by lmichigan on February 14, 2009)

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really doubt that Twinkie is losing sleep, or even could point to Detroit on a map.

But it's nice to know that these dipshits who think the term Public Servant means the public is your new servant, are being scrutinized.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.