Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Peoples Records « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 241
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a 100% purely unsolicited testimonial for Peoples Records. I visited Peoples last week to sell them some ancient vinyl and was treated like a human. No crazy pawn shop type stuff going on. 100% positive experience. There was a customer in the store from LA working on a film crew doing a story about Detroit. He had just been to Lafayette Coney and was testifying as to the residual properties of the loose burger experience.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah peoples is sweet! great selection, great deals and brad is a doll.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wish you woulda let me look at your vinyl before you sold it, Python! :-)

Love People's. Brad Hales is my hero. So glad he chose to reopen in a new spot after the Forest Arms fire.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 586
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listening to a podcast of Downtown Soulville the other night and Mr. Finewine, the host, called out People's records. Said at least half of his record collection over the years had come from Detroit, and much of that from People's.

O.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 664
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Mays still around, on 8 Mile?
How does that one stack up next to peoples?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhat off topic, but does anyone know where I could purchase a record player?

Panda
Username: Panda

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mays Records is gone. Really can't compare the 2 IMO.
People's is the best record store around.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Somewhat off topic, but does anyone know where I could purchase a record player?

Sears has stand-alone cabinet record players (also with CD player, etc) as well as stereo component turntables.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 350
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends what you want to use it for. To play records occasionally or to transfer them to CD, these can work.

http://www.recordspinner.com/

For a decent turntable, look around when garage sale season gets going, and you can get one for pennies.

I'd also like to put in a plug for Record Graveyard in Hamtramck. Good selection, good people.

Rjk

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks.

I'm looking for one for my father so he can listen to some old records that he has. The low end one at Sears is all he would need and they carry it at a store that is in my vicinity.

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does he have a system where he can plug in a turntable?

I have one left over from my father's estate and is no longer used. It is a good one. If you can drive here I'll give it to you.

Rjk

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does he have a system where he can plug in a turntable?"

No, but I appreciate the offer.

I stopped at the Sears store today and the one they have in stock looked pretty good. I didn't purchase it but I probably will in the next few days.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 990
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well if you are still looking to get rid of that turntable purpleheart email me kenneth_sherman at comcast dot net. I have been looking for one forever at garage sales and pawn shops but can't seem to find one. I can't bring myself to pay 100 bucks for one at Best Buy or Sears. I've got a decent Record collection started with quite a few old 45 singles that my grandpa had given to him from a friend of his who owned a bar and no longer had use for the records in his Juke Box.

I have slowly been building up my collection at local (Flint) record stores and have yet had the chance to go to People's but plan on it soon.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sony makes a decent low-end no-frills record player.

For higher end enjoyment and DJ type stuff I like the Stanton models.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Solo Records on Woodward in ... Berkley (maybe?) or Royal Oak has a bunch of nice, refurbished turntables and receivers. Wally is a GREAT guy.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i noticed a couple weeks ago that stormy records in dearborn had some used turntables for sale. i got one at encore in ann arbor once, too. you could always check around at record shops....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.