Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » City of Pontiac piece at NYTImes.com « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5264
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a three section audio slideshow

http://www.nytimes.com/interac tive/2009/02/15/business/20090 215_pontiac_multimedia/index.h tml

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 720
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent piece. Growing up near Pontiac and witnessing its changes has been fascinating & saddening, and this three-part photo essay captured everything about that perfectly. I have high hopes for Pontiac, its downtown is a prime location for rehabilitation, and signs of its progress are everywhere. But its crime problems are severe, and the money is just not there. It will weather the crisis, but its going to take a while.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As one with strong family ties and longstanding memories of Pontiac, I share your hope and optimism, Gsgeorge. It's depleted police department does not bode well for a reduction in its crime rate. The City runs a current deficit in the area of $6 million. It appears that one of the two public high schools will soon close because of lack of enrollment.

I note an article in the paper last week that Pontiac is considering selling its historic Oak Hill Cemetery because of financial inability to maintain it. A possible purchaser is a company in Pennsylvania which apparently owns and operates cemeteries across the country. We have about 7 generations of family buried there on both sides of University Drive..Although I have mixed emotions about the proposed sale, I would support it if this company will, in fact, provide the necessary maintenance and security which is presently lacking and so very much noticeable as you drive through this beautiful old place.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that was depressing first thing Sunday morning.We here in Pontiac will survive .I'm sure the NYT could have done this story in and around NYC/NJ,but we're only a bunch of rubes in flyoverland,so they'll do a story on our bleak lives.The upper west siders will be so moved by this that they can do a feel good benefit concert to help.Pon Aid or maybe A Concert for Truck and Coach.At least I can vent to all of you wonderful people.Now that the rest of the nation is is going through our last 10 years,welcome.Maybe the NYT can help you too.
Sorry for the anger on this sunny cold morning,but we don't want your pity.We'll keep selling cars in Pontiac like we always do,since 1952.We'll be here after the NYT is gone.Maybe they'll need a way to get home....

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hang in their Luckycar. Pontiac is going to make it. Too wonderful an old town to close down. And keep those Pontiacs going out the door. Aunt Helen bought a new one each and every year. Seems to me, I recall a Pontiac dealership was once located at Orchard Lake and Williams, near the funeral home ( Sparks-Griffith?). I recall other old businesses, Gaukler Moving and Storage ( family ties there), Lewis Furniture, the Huge Texaco station just West of Lewis, the Orpheum theater, huge Kresge's, Griff's Grill ( lawyer's hangout for those who practiced in the old Court House on Huron at Saginaw ( Grandfather was Probate/ Circuit judge,) even clothier Sam Benson at 20 Perry Street(who advertised on WCAR radio- "Shop at 20 and Save Plenty"),the night Chase's burned down, summer walks up Franklin Blvd. etc. The list goes on.
Screw the NYT. They had to borrow big-time just to stay in business.
And of course, itsjeff, one of the Forum's most remembered/beloved posters was a Pontiac man.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, I grew up in Pontiac. Remember when the Huron burned down??? Michigan Bell used to be downtown, I remember going down there often to pay the bill. Was it Garlock Drug Store, next to the old Pontiac State Bank? Neisner's downtown? Remember Miracle Mile?

The only reason I go there now is Pete's!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...the photography was great.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very powerful piece. Any Detroiter who bought a Toyota or Honda or Nissan should watch this and see how their choice is hurting their neighbors!

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 894
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cripes, the city of pontiac still owes me income tax refunds for 2004 & 2005!

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, Scooter, Pontiac's problems have to do with a lot more than just the auto industry, don't believe the propaganda. Pontiac has a laundry list of failures from the top down.

Thecarl, everyone I know in Pontiac is behind several years on their tax refunds. But don't be late paying THEM. People need to file a lawsuit against them to make them pay plus interest - but then, the city is broke so I don't know where the money would come from!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..that's right, I should limit my buying options because it may cost someone a job. I'm sure that's all that matters and has nothing to do with how the company is run.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrissy you did not understand my post. Did you see the video? Because if you did you would have seen that the coney island, the kid, and the pastor were all affected by the auto industry. Obviously Pontiac has other factors leading to its problems, but when its bread and butter goes under, that becomes its major problem.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to get technical, both the Coney Island and the bowling alley are in Auburn Hills, on Opdyke north of South Blvd.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good observation, Clark1mt. I know I was watching the video and thinking, I've never even heard of this coney, because Pontiac is very small and you pretty much know each of the businesses. That's why they didn't even ring a bell for me.

That video may tug at your heartstrings but it was created for that purpose and its sheer propaganda. Pontiac's problems started over 20 years ago, the downslide, the closing of businesses, the substandard school system and rising crime, and the auto industry was still thriving then and the plants were doing great. I remember them bulldozing entire blocks of houses because they had "plans" that never materialized, so those blocks are still standing empty. Matter of fact, they bulldozed Bagley over 30 years ago and never rebuilt, along with tearing down the school, so they could put up a golf course. They bulldozed the projects (where I grew up) because they had "plans", again, the land still sits empty and undeveloped. Pontiac has been managed poorly for decades. GM couldn't help them even when they were there paying millions in taxes and creating jobs.

We pay more attention to big city Mayors but Pontiac has had a succession of corrupt, inept, and useless mayors, school boards and city councils going back at LEAST 30 years. They just slip under the radar because everyone is looking at Detroit.

They chose Pontiac as this focus because its small and could be seen as a mini-Flint, but still, this piece doesn't tell the whole truth and it skews the facts to get at you emotionally.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.