Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Michigan to get $18 billion from stimulus bill « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just in from Crains. Bring it on! And about time! The depression the rest of the country is learning about has been devastating us for years.

Unfortunately, because we happen to mostly produce non-war products, we have been getting our butts kick in terms of federal dollars. Now that the focus is finally turning to taking care of America we will get a modicum of overdue relief.

Highway29
Username: Highway29

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This to amounts to about 1/50th of the money, so I guess we are getting our share. Considering how much trouble this state is in, I was hoping for a little more.

But I hope this turns out to be a good thing and that the money is used wisely and does what we all hope it will do. I am especially encouraged by the money for mass transit, which I think is a very high priority for the future of this region.

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This to amounts to about 1/50th of the money, so I guess we are getting our share.

But Michigan has 1/30th of the nation's population.

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and in 4-5 months when this money is blown through and we are in the same or worse situation...

what then???

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^what then???

We go back to Washington for more... just like GM, Chrysler, the banks and the rest.

Why not? :-)

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 710
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last week I posted some information on the economic stimulus money funding bike/greenway infrastructure in Michigan. 3% of the highway funding is dedicated to transportation enhancements, which can include non-motorized facilities. It remains to be seen if any stimulus money will end up paying for Detroit greenways and/or bike lanes, but the City has been very supportive so far. These projects are green, can reduce our foreign oil usage, and are more labor intensive per dollar than the typical road construction project.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4127
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, because we'll certainly be worse off because of the stimulus in 4-5 months, right? lol One doesn't have to believe the stimulus is perfect to see how ridiculous the alternative is.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 934
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As was stated, Mich. has about 1/30 of the pop. It's also large geographically and has the highest unemployment rate in the country. So why doesn't it get close to its share?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pumping cash into a broken system is not going to fix anything. Use the 18 billion to lobby politicians to rework the trade situations we have. Put people back to work. Paying taxes, their employer paying taxes. That's how infrastructure is built.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3679
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This chart from the AP shows what Michigan is getting in terms of infrastructure money realtive to other states

http://tinyurl.com/cpl8qg

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.