Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Detroit cliché? - Sam Roberts Detroit ‘67 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Strait_shooter
Username: Strait_shooter

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New video from the Sam Roberts Band for a song called Detroit ’67.

Some of the images and lyrics are cliché, but I think it is a good use old and new video to pose the questions, “Does anyone here tonight remember those times? Can anyone here tonight tell me what it felt like?”

FYI – he is from Montreal

http://www.theduplex.tv/srbdet roit67/srbdetroit67_hi.html

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it!

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was pretty nice. I loved the lyrics, the use of the old movies, maybe cliche, but used well. I downloaded it and saved it. I'm glad that outsiders came in and did such a project on our town, maybe not the best but you really get the sense why this city went downhill.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was great. It is like he made a video summary of what we talk about on DetroitYes every day. They cover a lot of ground and as a 46 year old, those quick flashes are the way I remember things from the 60's. There is always a little bit of a thrill when in a video or movie you see them going down a street and you think, wow that is a couple blocks away from the plant where I used to work.

Detmuscle
Username: Detmuscle

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What bar was that they were in?

Strait_shooter

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was trying to figure it out myself. I have a feeling that part was not shot in Detroit. Thought it might be the state bar, but not sure, it's been a while since I have been there.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ironically 67 is a sad benchmark year for Toronto Maple Leafs as it is in The D...made me think of that "Head, Heart, Legs, or Arms" story from Ellen Slezak. I'd like to know where that bar is, too

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10447
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam Roberts are a great band. I think they are even better live as they play very tight and with a lot of emotion. Great tune!

Leyland
Username: Leyland

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That bar is Cafe D'Mongo's Speakeasy: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080403/E NT05/804030423/1035/ENT03

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would be neat to hear this played at Tigers' games and have the whole crowd sign along, as they do to "Shipping Up to Boston" in Boston.

Choon!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that is d'mongo's. I'm not sure where it is filmed though...

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Great tune...

Leyland
Username: Leyland

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, you're right, that's not D'Mongo's. My bad.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 337
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the opening film clip is the "presentation film" made when Detroit made a play for the '68 Olympics under JFK. From some of the shots it appears Roberts is wearing a camera rig that Michelle Gondry uses a lot...I think he's really getting hammered. There's some quick shots of Quebecois locations so it could be Montreal-the undercover police badge is a nice touch. As for the bar it's not the Town Pump, nor any of the major pubs in Montreal, somewhere in Corktown?

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At first I thought the bar may have been the Gaelic League, but I do not think I am right.

Any other guesses?

Razr66
Username: Razr66

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great song!! I can't get it out of my head oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, ooooohhh....

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 713
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I see a Kilkenny sign and placemat -- a beer that's available in Canada and perhaps not the U.S. Hmmmm...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K ilkenny_(beer)

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have been playing this song a lot on 93.9 for a while, but the song didnt seem to be getting much reaction. Personally, I've loved it since the first time I heard it. I'm glad there is a video to go with it.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6777
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good eye Fishtoes...

That is a Killkenny Sign

Also in this scene:

The Tap I have circled belongs to Alexander Keith's a Canadian East Coast beer. Is it sold in the US at all?

If not, then this would narrow it down to having been shot at a Canadian Bar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Keith%27s

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The song is okay, nice changes on the chorus but the rest is pretty repetitive. Great video though, and nice sentiment. He's definitely one of our better Canadian artists at present.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of looks like Patrick O'Ryans...

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexander Keith's is now available in Michigan, draft only for now, bottles/cans to come. Good stuff.

Aiw

Post Number: 6778
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not O'Ryans. Which incedentally closes Thursday.

There is an auction coming up for the contents of the place, and the site has lots of interior photos.

http://theauctionadvertiser.co m/cgi-bin/slsearcx.pl?au=Richa rd%20Lavin&dt=20081107

Aiw

Post Number: 6779
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The comments in the youtube video (not that they're any truer than anything said on here :-) ), claimed the bar scenes were shot in Montreal.

Staticstate
Username: Staticstate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they are closing O'Ryans? damn. we used to drink there when we'd go to detroit for the Packers/Lions games back in the day. Caffreys was available here for a bit, but Kilkenny never was. Love that stuff!

Aiw

Post Number: 6780
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I'm on the case... I contacted Sam Robert's management, who put me in touch with the Video's Director.

Once I hear back, I'll let you know what I uncover.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 385
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anymore Info on the location?

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice piece.The drum intro and piano hook are direct Motown lifts but Roberts re-interprets them. A nice blending of old and new. As there is little of value in modern pop music, it is no surprise to see components of a nostalgic look back.

Leo B

Aiw

Post Number: 6804
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey,

I did hear back.

The video's interior scenes due to the touring schedule were shot at a place called O'Regans Irish Pub in Montreal:

http://www.oregansirishpub.com /

The director wanted to shoot everything in Detroit, but they simply did not have enough time.

However, the exterior shots were all done on location in Detroit.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 452
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW, thanks for the info. Appreciate it. Like many here, was wondering where that bar was.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lyrics to Detroit '67, oh, an abattoir is a slaughterhouse

I went walking at street level
Feeling strange and disheveled
Past the abattoir and the glory holes
Like a film noire, in the starring role
To the side streets, kept my nose clean
Tasted beautiful, tasted obscene
Singing, oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

This is Detroit, see the skyline
A commotion on the assembly line
Raise a glass to the Ambassador
As she's moving you to the dance floor

Does anyone here tonight remember those times?
Can anyone here tonight just tell me what they felt like?

So many years, so many lives
These are the streets where they collide
From Jimmy Hoffa to Cadillac
Some look ahead, I'm going back
Cause I'm just looking for some sounds
To ease the vice that squeezes us every day

This was Motown, this was New France
Where the Chippewa did the firedance
That was long ago
This is here and now
But the memory still remains somehow
Singing, oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

I can't tell you how this old story ends
I can't touch you now, like they did back then
Past the child's play with the jump rope
Hear the gun play, it's a tightrope

Can anyone here tonight just tell me what they felt like?

Somebody call the riot police, there's trouble down on 12th Street

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 387
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good work Aiw. thanks

Strait_shooter

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bar in Montreal posing as if it was in Detroit...ah is all french to me

good work DY super sleuths

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 753
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Keith's too, but an Irish pub serving this proudly Scottish- Canadian beer? That doesn't seem right...

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10502
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always considered Montreal like a northern version of what Detroit could have been. The feel of Montreal is very similar to Detroit and the buildings andnightlife are just as gritty. A great city!

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was Motown, this was New France
Where the Chippewa did the firedance
That was long ago
This is here and now
But the memory still remains somehow

You know, that is a brilliant lyric. I'm always suspicious of artists who swoop in from afar and try to capture "Detroit"--but these lyrics are stunning and brilliant--the fact that the song was written from an outsiders' perspective lends it even more credence. Excellent.

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can Detroit YES! persuade Sam Roberts to do a show here? I think he's touring in Canada with The Stills right now, but he hasn't booked a show in the D :-(

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Abandoned Globe Trade Building at Atwater and Orleans appears to be the warehouse featured about three quarters of the way through the video (several interior and one or two exterior shots).

Strait_shooter

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ash, they were here about two months ago. Maybe we can persuade them to come back.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

February 28 - Detroit MI - St. Andrew's Hall

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a courtesy Bump :-)

Hope it answers some recent questions.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the first photo above in the pub. Is that a Redwings player in that poster? It doesn't look like a Habs uniform to me. Props to the producer for getting that placed in the video if it was shot in Montreal. I bet the bar owner couldn't get it down fast enough though, LOL.

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"lyrics to Detroit '67, oh, an abattoir is a slaughterhouse"

Abattoir isn't a common word to Americans? I never knew that was a Canadian word. Huh.

"I like Keith's too, but an Irish pub serving this proudly Scottish- Canadian beer? That doesn't seem right..."

This is so true, but a lot of these pubs have to have a few common beers for the people who never step outside the box and try anything besides the single beer they know.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.