Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Saw "Gran Torino" last week « Previous Next »
Gran Torino and DetroitLittle_mike01-18-09  3:41 am
Gran TorinoKathleen12-30-08  9:02 am
Archive through December 30, 2008Thecarl30 12-30-08  12:04 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 879
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ but that was when he lived in bear lake or fruitport -- not detroit!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 992
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gran Torino and Detroit scenery was enjoyable. No comment on the movie and acting (nothing good to say, don't say anything).

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav asks (6 days ago):
quote:

Please do tell . . . how does Detroit fit in with the plot?

Explained adequately already ^, but I also like this from NYTimes review by Manohla Dargis:
quote:

The film has the feel of a requiem. Melancholy is etched in every long shot of Detroit’s decimated, emptied streets and in the faces of those who remain to still walk in them.

Made in the 1960s and ’70s, the Gran Torino was never a great symbol of American automotive might, which makes Walt’s love for the car more poignant. It was made by an industry that now barely makes cars, in a city that hardly works.

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Eastwood's hard as nails old racist curmudgeon character is a little bit exaggerated, but it's a decent movie"
I don't know about the exaggeration. This could be my father or any older gentlemen I know from Detroit or around there. They seem cranky and predjudice but will do almost anything to help anyone who needs help no matter what color or race they are. Tough exterior and soft interior.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw the movie Saturday and loved it. The ending wasn't what I wanted, depressing, but I can understand why the Kowalski Character did it. The only innacuracy that bugged me was his claim that he worked on the very assembly line that built his Gran Torino. If he was living in Highland Park at that time the commute to the Chicago assembly plant must have really put a strain on his family life. Maybe that's why his relationship with his sons was so poor.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes the house is in Highland Park , 238 Rhode Island near Oakland, I also noticed some shots on John R at Buena Vista. You can see the old Ford plant in the background. Also a shot of the Robert E. Barber grade school on Buena Vista and John R.

Hardcore
Username: Hardcore

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well When he dose Grand Torino 2 You can Tell him what to do with his 35 mil.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7707
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford made the Torino car from 1968-76. It was quite a successful seller. It came in a variety of styles, colors, and models. It competed with the Chevrolet Chevelle and later, Monte Carlo.
The Gran Torino came along, 1972-76.

Torino as a car name comes from the Italian city, Turin, Italy's version of an auto capital.

Torino evolved from the very popular Ford Fairlane which was phased out over this period.
The Torino was "Ford's Newest Bright Idea."

Engines were bulit in Cleveland and Windsor.

The Ranchero pick-up has a Torino front end design.

Motor Trend Magazine named Torinos as cars of the year duing the period.

Hurst manual 4-speed transmissions were available in sporty models. Holley and Rochester Quadrajet carburetors were popular. Built as station wagons, they were very popular family wagons. The Torino was known then as an "intermediate" sized vehicle.

As for assembly plants, Ford built Torinos and Gran Torinos at the following plants.
Lorain, Ohio.
Atlanta, Georgia.
Chicago, Illinois.
Oakville, Ontario-Canada.

jjaba, on the history of Gran Torino.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If he was living in Highland Park at that time the commute to the Chicago assembly plant must have really put a strain on his family life.

When did he say he lived in Highland Park?

Cambrian

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When did he say he lived in Highland Park?"

He did not have to say where he lived, the responding police cars were always marked 'Highland Park'.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, you left out the big block 429 engine built at Lima Ohio. There were Cobra Jet versions too. Pretty fast cars. The sister car to that was the Montego. Different front end and tailights. Also the T-Birds and Mark IV's were basically the same chassis, just stretched.
As to the house on Rhode Island St. It is 5 bedroom house. It was for Sale in 2004 for $115K. A friend of mine that has access to real estate listings looked it up. Looks like they re-did the porch railing making it white and added the white hand rails since 2004.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I owned a Gran Torino much like the movie character's after high school. It was the same year, same dark green color, and even had the same black vinyl roof. Mine was however the "Grande" coupe, where as the one in the movie was a fastback. My car came equipped with a 351 W 2bbl. It was one of my faster cars, but it had a hard life by the time I purchased it from a gas station mechanic for $200. It had blow by so bad that I had to drive around with a case of oil and be ready in an instant to add 5 quarts of oil to keep the engine from seizing.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Gran Torino last night and liked it. Eastwood's character was a bit over the top; all the grimacing and grunting reminded me a little of Lurch from the Addams Family. I especially enjoyed the scenes set at St. Ambrose church, the parish where I grew up. The lawyer, seen at the end of the movie was played by Marty Bufalini. Besides doing traffic reports for WWJ Radio 950 and writing an auto review column for the Grosse Pointe News, he does a nice job of commenting about the antique cars during the annual Motor Muster and Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village. He's also a lector at St. Ambrose. Nice to see a recognizable Detroit face in the movie!

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newport1128
Assuming you have a history on Newport, was your address between Mack and Charlevoix, Charlevoix and Vernor, Vernor and Kercheval, or Kercheval and Jefferson?

When I was in high school[way back in the 60s], I had a friend who lived on Newport between Chalevoix and Vernor but I can'r remember his address. The house has long since been torn down.

Also, wasn't there a Lutheran Church [Messiah] somewhere close in that area?

Newport1128

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turkeycall, I was between Jefferson and Kercheval. The house where I lived is still standing - one of the few. There is a church at the corner of Lakewood and Kercheval, an old brown brick edifice. Not sure what denomination, though. Lots of other old churches in the area, too.

Jjaba

Post Number: 7710
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jgavrile, besides the V-8s and straight 8s, Ford also had a Urinate. That was a pisser of an engine.

Thanks for your addition.

jjaba on the Westside.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"When did he say he lived in Highland Park?"

He did not have to say where he lived, the responding police cars were always marked 'Highland Park'.

Highland Park is also a suburb of Chicago.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah but a bit more upscale then our Highland park though.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 503
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have difficulty imagining two locales with the same name that are less like each other than Highland Park, MI and Highland park, IL. Alas.

O.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a damn good movie. I saw the hardware store from GGP, the Charlevoix sign from near the Tap Room (my friends son watched them shoot that scene -- he didn't know who Clint was when he met him!). The ending scene driving down Lakeshore toward the GP Yacht Club. Good to see our area in a movie. At the very end it said the movie was filmed in Michigan. Apparently the Lutheran Church relocted the Hmong people to our area.

I would encourage everyone to go see it for themselves.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pointe Hardware on Kercheval in GPP,a really neat store with nice owners and helpful personnel, has gotten some nice publicity as a segment of the movie was shot there. The name of the store was changed, however. You got something against the Pointes, Clint?
The owners of the store had to stock up with some extra items for the shelves,about $6,000 worth I understand, and I believe the local paper said that they split the cost with the film company which I thought was a tad unusual.
Their well-known/well placed water cooler that you pass by as you enter the store was moved to a different location. Directors have the final say.
We have yet to see the movie, but are hopeful to see it soon. I am told that one segment that was filmed in our neighbor's house is in the breakfast room overlooking the back yard, and I have sat at that same location having coffee with the former owner. He has not yet seen the movie either.

Mplsryan
Username: Mplsryan

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The movie was originally set in Minneapolis, the writer is from here. IT was rewritten for Detroit because you guys offered better tax credits for making it in Michigan.

Mplsryan

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The movie was originally set in Minneapolis, the writer is from here. IT was rewritten for Detroit because you guys offered better tax credits for making it in Michigan.

Mplsryan

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The film was originally set in Minneapolis, the writer is from here. It was rewritten for Detroit because you guys offered better tax credits for making it in Michigan.

Mplsryan

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The film was originally set in Minneapolis, the writer is from here. It was rewritten for Detroit because you guys offered better tax credits for making it in Michigan.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 395
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mplsryan, and "Crossing The Bridge" was set here & in Canada
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt01 04030/
but aside from a few 2nd unit shots they went 2 the Twin Cities because of THEIR film tax credits. Go figure

Jjaba

Post Number: 7713
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like The Rock is getting us ready for The Rock's Gran Torino tour. Fire up the Chevy long van and show us around. Thanks Rock.

jjaba, Westsider who has never seen any of these places.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park is on both the East and West sides.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we just saw it and OMG we are still (one hour later) completely into it and just starting to decompress.

It was a $9.00 movie to be sure. I'm so glad I saw it and will see it again.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2628
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was funny I wasn't sure you could film a movie in Detroit with only three black people in the whole movie until I saw Gran Torino, but they sure as hell did it. It felt like this was some sort of other Detroit that I didn't know existed where there are Asian gangbangers, Hispanics rolling around in Dickie shirts and old school Impalas, and people seeking Lions season tickets. But all in all it was a good movie I learned a lot of new racial slurs to call people now.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 219
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having worked for Ford and also having grown up there, its a little interesting in that ,it use to be wherever there was a Ford plant, somewhere near there would either be an area or a suburb called Highland Park. Check it out. Chicago, St.Paul, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Dallas, Edison N.J.
Some of them may be gone now, but I use to make note of this in traveling to the many assembly plants for Ford. Can't explain it??

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 316
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw it yesterday. Liked it, and loved the Archie Bunker redux!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

best line by Eastwood:

"Stay away from my dog."

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw the movie last weekend. Enjoyable till the end, but it was part of the plan.

Best line by Eastwood, Hmmph! reminds me of my Dad.

Glad to know the church is St Ambrose, is that the interior of the church also?
Anyone know where the Barber shop is?

Recommend the movie!

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The barber is in Royal Oak.

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw the movie last weekend. Enjoyable till the end, but it was part of the plan.

Best line by Eastwood, Hmmph! reminds me of my Dad.

Glad to know the church is St Ambrose, is that the interior of the church also?
Anyone know where the Barber shop is?

Recommend the movie!

Newport1128

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slick, the interior and exterior scenes are all from St. Ambrose. The only one I'm not sure about is the one in the confessional. I think maybe they did this one in a mock-up, since there isn't enough room in the real St. Ambrose confessionals for two actors and a camera, even in the more updated face-to-face confessional.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It did strike me odd that he had a cage door conveniantly installed for his basement door opening. What kind of bondage was he and his wife up too?

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have seen this fantastic movie twice now and will probably watch it again in the future, on DVD. I love the story, the setting, the fact that the church is good old St. Ambrose (my childhood church, too! how many times did our feet climb those front stairs, Newport???), the fact that St. Ambrose is looking so good, good enough to be a movie set! I am amazed by how Clint Eastwood seems to get better and better as he ages. way to go, Clint! does anyone know where on Charlevoix that one scene was filmed, where Sue confronts the black guys? just curious...anywhere near the intersection of Lakewood and Charlevoix? anyway, kudos to Clint and kudos to Detroit and Michigan!!! may there be many more films like this to delight our senses and to pour movie money into the economy there!

Jat44
Username: Jat44

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally saw this movie and thought that it was great! Walt Kowalski reminded me a lot of my Dad (Polish ancestory) who was also from the same era as Walt. The swearing, the racial slurs, the "not taking any shit from anybody" attitude and the beer drinking.
They even had a scene in Walt's VFW type of drinking establishment that to me, was pretty authentic.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They even had a scene in Walt's VFW type of drinking establishment that to me, was pretty authentic.

That's because it was shot in the Cpl. Richard Menge VFW Post on Sherwood in Center Line. Here is the Macomb Daily article about the local filming for the movie.

(Message edited by Mikeg on February 21, 2009)

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 551
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait till dvd release.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 909
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turkeycall, Messiah Lutheran Church was on Lakewood and Kercheval. I was baptized there. Lived in an apartment on Lakewood when I was first married. The apartment is long gone from fire and vandals.

Cambrian

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jat44, he reminds me of my older polish relatives too. The source of their prejudice always struck as coming from someone working in the plants would see the next wave of immigrants as a threat to thier job via the fact the later immigrants would agree to work for less money.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.