Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Detroit's Stimulus Proposal for Obama « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't find anything on this forum about Detroit's Official Plan. There was a conference of Mayor's recently, and they provided Obama with their wishlists. Here's a Yahoo article about it, with links to Forbes 10 biggest stimulus cities.
http://finance.yahoo.com/famil y-home/article/106315/The-Obam a-Boomtowns

I live fairly near St. Louis, and I approve of their stimulus package pretty much. Really schools should be a big priority. Hard to draw middle-class families back to the city when schools suck.

I made this simple chart to reflect jobs vs. cost for 9 of those cities. Phoenix asked for $1.4 billion, but I omitted it because it did not provide job data.
http://i233.photobucket.com/al bums/ee136/LeannaW1989/Stimulu sJobsCost.png

Most of the inquiries appear to b for schools, infrastructure, and transportation.

How much has Detroit asked for, and what are the plans? If this has been posted before I apologize. I couldn't find anything when I searched the forum.

Searching Google for "Detroit Stimulus Plan (or Package)", all I could find was Kwame's plan earlier in 2008.

So, if someone can link me to where the plan is posted, I would appreciate it. I realize Cockrel has only been Mayor since September. Has he proposed anything yet? Thanks.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 498
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can our city be any dumber? Why would they not make a huge request, one of the largest on that list? We need it the most and it looks like they are failing again. Ask for 5-10 billion! Put a large sum toward starting mass transit on the spoke lines and put the rest into community programs, keeping the streetlights on, marketing, revitalizing neighborhoods and parks, and to help erase and balance the deficit. There are so many things that this city could use that money for. That list shows already healthy cities asking for money. What about the old and slaughtered cities?

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 499
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need to email our "leaders"....

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You do realize that any money that comes from the FED actually comes from taxpayers. Once again my Federal tax dollars will join my State tax dollars to help detroit because they can not seem to manage their own tax dollars.

I would oppose any monetary help for the city until they get a handle on the actual state and amount of their financial mess.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are Levin, Dingell and Jenny?? Time to bring home the bacon.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5070
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Once again my Federal tax dollars will join my State tax dollars to help detroit"

Not necessarily true. A lot of your Federal tax dollars leave the state and don't come back. Of what does come back it would be difficult to determine how much actually goes to Detroit.

(Message edited by lilpup on December 21, 2008)

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 361
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should get most of the "leaders" from the area put them on an ice floe and have them float down the Detroit River. Addition through subtraction.
Turn a negative into a positive.
That floe would have to be pretty big too.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 699
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has $832 million of projects listed so far. Not all of the city departments have their projects in the list yet. The final version will be larger.
http://www.usmayors.org/mainst reeteconomicrecovery/stimuluss urveyparticipantsdata.asp?City =Detroit&State=MI

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 795
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I would oppose any monetary help for the city until they get a handle on the actual state and amount of their financial mess.

Has the city even completed its audit from 2006 yet?

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 765
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, Detroit should be a lot more. There are an awful lot of projects missing from the list that should be included.

I don't know how serious the Obama administration will determine if any what city gets what, But I glanced over a couple of city's "wish list" items, and saw that Vegas wanted $25,000,000 for neon signs!!!

Detroit will need to prioritize it's items and make a strong pitch to Washington this spring. Minus the corporate jets.

<313>

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 987
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It used to be that Detroit made things. Start ups swarmed into the area out innovating each other. The game plan has changed. Innovation has been redefined to mean how best to panhandle the bankrupt government in Washington, DC. "Obama, buddy, have you got a trillion?"

A good argument could be made that if a drunken sailor, be it Bush or Obama, is buying a round for everyone, one might as well accept. Why not hold out a begging pan if the money would otherwise go to Cleveland or New Orleans? I agree. But all participants should understand that it is no more than a temporary fix and that the payment for these cumulative bailouts will be made by devaluing our money so it only buys half as much.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although we should get our share, we should also re-install that "innovation software" we seemed to lose with the death of Henry Ford.

Ol' Henry wasn't perfect by any stretch and had foibles (some disgusting); and so did many of the titans; but Detroit used to not only be a center of production but the reason it was the center was because this is where the innovation occurs.

In a knowledge/information economy (which is what we're transitioning into, like it or not, with or without a bailout), innovation is even MORE important. And Detroit's practical attitudes would stand it in good stead in creating the software, services, and processes that will be the employment of the future.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you really blame the City of Detroit for the lack of innovation by residents and businesses? I think it has more to do with all the companies that promised lifetime employment. No?

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 627
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The roads could use some work!
-Transit
-Parks
-SCHOOLS
- Neighborhoods
- Renewable Energy

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 624
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Oladub:

It used to be that Detroit made things. Start ups swarmed into the area out innovating each other.

I agree with you. That's why I believe it would be better if Detroit requested tax-free zones instead of a bailout. In other words, Detroit would have zones where new residents and businesses paid no taxes for 5 years. Let the federal government cover those costs. That would bring businesses, innovators, and residents. In the long run it would increase the tax base and if the local government crafted it right they could lower the overall taxes of residents and businesses.

Sure this plan still requires help from the government. But instead of requesting the government do it all, we would be requesting that they the help the city, and the city (residents and businesses) does the rest.

It's not a perfect plan but with tweaking I think it is better than just plain begging for money with no plan to use the money wisely.

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To get an edge in grabbing these dollars the city needs a cohesive if not at least a coherent plan. The mayor, council, city manager & dept heads need to be on the same page. It also requires the politicos representing the city & metro area to play a better game of palm greasing than the next guy. Oh yeah, don't forget to include the business community & unions.
It's not a "silver bullet" solution to cure a city of its ills. Sorry Sean, but innovation & creative thinking are always needed to give your city an edge; whether it's from the political, business or residential side is immaterial. This is true in any situation. Times are changing & requires a heavy dose of diversification. French is on the right track with his list; include public safety & services as well. From an outsider's perspective, the city desperately needs a major PR makeover. This doesn't just mean making commercials promoting itself; it requires a serious commitment about how it conducts its business & places priorities. I hate to say it but to a casual observer the environment is in utter chaos & not just because of the automakers' situation. A lot of people outside Detroit & Michigan would be glad to see a major turnaround & success story. Moaning & whining ain't gonna do it. I bet the majority of the people on these forums have good & PRACTICAL ideas for the betterment of the city & quality of life. Attend council meetings, make your voice heard, insist on accountability, volunteer for a mayoral candidate's campaign, etc. It means breaking out some elbow grease & getting to work. Your city is on life support at the moment; either do the necessary surgery or let it die a horrible death. Ball's in your court.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crumbled_Pavement, that's a good start.

It's really three things.

One, a federal tax-free zone encompassing the entire city. And for 10 years. You need a length of time that encourages the investment of capital. Five years is too short - you can hardly build something in that period of time.

Two, open immigration - conditioned on residency in Detroit. We need this if for nothing else to keep the housing stock from further deteriorating and to keep the market supported. It also adds more paying customers to the underused water and sewer system. And it costs just as much to police an occupied block as an urban prairie. If we get some entrepreneurial action out of it, so much the better.

Three, a foreign-trade zone (like what they have at DTW or an Alabama auto plant) that encompasses the city. This allows the importation of components and assemblies for integration without customs. This is important particularly for manufacturing by an unskilled work force.

I think that a plan like that should be all but unassailable by Republicans in Washington - since it involves tax cuts and free trade. They might grouse about the immigration, but whatever. We can take their "extra" immigrants in the deal.

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huggy & Crumbled: good posts & very workable ideas. Y'all know your city much better than I would, so keep thinking.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'all got it wrong - Detroit is way ahead of the others in this game - in fact, it's requesting $10 Billion!
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081112/NEWS01/81112065.

Who needs to submit a proposal when you can pass a simple resolution demanding money?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been following this relatively close since October. The only thing known right now is that the amount of money keeps changing based upon who you talk to, the list of projects change depending upon who you talk to, there is no legislation in place to either fund or authorize funding for these projects, and project need to be underway within 90-120 days (shovel in the ground).

This means projects with difficult engineering or need complex multi-governmental agreements will face a hard battle unless they are already far enough in the pipeline to get through the final stages for bidding/obligation.

The federal government is going to be quite shy about anymore 'bailout' type programs regardless if they put people to work. Many of these projects (if not already approved) will need to go through certain processes including public involvement, air quality conformity, environmental justice, and approval by local, state, and federal governing bodies. If a match is required most governments are not in a position to match the projects.

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, Levin, knock-knock, you home? When will we start getting at least an equal buck for buck return on our tax dollars? This federal money game is just that a game. It should be approached like selling your car. If you realistically want to get a grand for your car then the asking price should be 2 grand. If you have to settle for a grand then fine, if the sap, er, I mean buyer gives the 2 grand, that;'s all the better. Always bargain down, don't throw out your low ball price as the asking price. Yeesh!

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 625
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mopardan.

Huggy, that's an ambitious plan. I like ideas 2 and 3. However, with the tax-free zone, I think 10 years is too long to give new residents a tax break. I think the natives would be a little peeved by that. Unless, everyone was given a tax break. That would require crunching the numbers to see if that is even feasible. As for businesses, sure, give them 10 years of no taxes. The benefits of that would be jobs (of which the employees could be taxed -- adding to the tax base), amenities, less blight, and a more vibrant city.

I'm seriously considering emailing a mock-up of this plan to all the mayoral candidates and the city council.

(Message edited by Crumbled_pavement on December 22, 2008)

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I realize Detroit needs a lot done, but $10 billion seems like a lot. That's 3 times what Miami wants and 4 times what St. Louis wants.

But I guess it's better to ask for too much than not enough.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll get us better mass transit, convention center, can be used to subsidize services that we couldn't otherwise afford, pay back loans and stuff. Detroit could easily use 10 billion dollars.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do remember reading a while back in the FREE PRESS that Mayor Kenneth Cockrel took a plan worth 10 billion to the capital and lobbyed for it, but I do not know what was on the plan. But alas, our mayor is fighting the good fight for us!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6511
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stimulus won't dent Michigan's wish list from today's Detroit News has some extremely detailed figures in the sidebar: PDF: Michigan Municipal League's list of project requests. The hardcopy had this interesting graphic:

Communities' wish list for stimulus money

Communities' wish list for stimulus money

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 942
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$1 trillion stimulus package
divided by 300 million Americans
------------------------------ --
= $3333.33 per person

$3333.33
* 4 million Metro Detroiters
-----------------------------
= $13.33 billion

Let's see: $3333.33 given to every single metro Detroiter would pump $13.33 billion into our local economy. That would stimulate the hell out of me!

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 703
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the Mayor's list or the MML are Detroit's final list.

Randy_mckay
Username: Randy_mckay

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am against the stimulus package as it is, but I think if this amount is true, it represents another slap in the face to Michigan...Michigan has been the hardest hit for the longest amount of time in this down cycle, and get 0.2% of the stimulus despite being the @10 th biggest state in the Union. Good thing we have Democrats Levin and Stabenow looking out for us...(not).

Shorthook
Username: Shorthook

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Flint? I would imagine if this train is leaving the station.. get on board!! Something is better than nothing. Correct me if I am wrong, but won't this money be borrowed from China or some other outside country?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Michigan has been the hardest hit for the longest amount of time in this down cycle, and get 0.2% of the stimulus despite being the @10 th biggest state in the Union. "

What are you basing this claim on?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3735
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan is the 8th largest state.

Randy_mckay

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine,

I wasn't making any claim. I am basing my comments on the Detroit News article amount shown of ~$2 Billion divided by $825 Billion. Today's paper showed it was $5.7 Billion but expected to be lower now...either way, the percentage is well below what Michigan would get if it received a straight 1/50th share (@$16.5 Billion) or much higher level if it went on population. Thanks to lheartehed for confirming that Michigan is the 8th largest state. I wonder if the Feds will also allow us to pay less back of this expensive spending, er, stimulus bill when the bills come due...

Novine

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with your math is that your assumption is that every dollar is in spending. That's incorrect. A significant chunk of the $825 billion is for tax cuts which will go to individuals and businesses. That means that Michigan should get a proportionally higher percentage of benefit from those cuts because of our larger population.

Novine

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The compromise bill agreed to on Friday is $780 billion. The Free Press has details on how that affects Michigan.

"The compromise included at least one blow to U.S. carmakers: a 50 percent cut in a $600 million program to replaced federally owned vehicles with new, more fuel-efficient models. Republicans had derided the measure as wasteful, but President Barack Obama strongly defended it in a speech Thursday.
The original measure included about $5.7 billion in aid for Michigan, including expanded jobless benefits for the state's half-million unemployed workers. That number was certain to be lower in the compromise bill, which includes cuts to money states will receive to help stabilize their own troubled budgets.
The compromise preserved provisions pushed by Stabenow and Sen. Carl Levin, D-Detroit, such as $2 billion in grants to encourage advanced auto battery development and manufacturing tax credits for production of alternative energy equipment."

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20090207/POLIT ICS/902070367

Randy_mckay

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your insights Novine...

Can you quantify what the amount of the tax benefit would be?

Novine

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can you quantify what the amount of the tax benefit would be?"

I haven't seen any statements on how the tax breaks will benefit individual states.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the same list from the from the US Mayors conference, but in wiki form so you can vote on the individual projects and add comments about the pros and cons of each.

http://www.stimuluswatch.org/p roject/by_city/Detroit/MI

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3782
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This doesn't mention Detroit specifically, but it will greatly impact the city. Especially if that high-speed commuter rail between Chicago and Detroit gets off the ground soon.

Obama plots huge railroad expansion

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4388
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the stimulus have any money for paying Monica Conyers to go away?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4485
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to go President Obama! A black man who would save the our American economy. Let's distrubute that money.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 711
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Michigan Messenger
"Detroit Mayor Kenneth Cockrel Jr.’s press secretary Dan Cherrin told Michigan Messenger that the list of stimulus “ready to go” projects submitted to the U.S. Mayor’s Conference this month did not reflect the mayor’s “priorities” and said that they were merely suggested projects that still needed to be reviewed and are subject to change."

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 713
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've recently posted information on the economic stimulus funding and how it likely fund some greenway/trail/bike related projects in Detroit and the surrounding area.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 840
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that high speed train will certainly come in handy for all the people who find jobs in Chicago but prefer to live in Detroit. And all those Chicagoans who have been dying to explore Detroit's night life.

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 172
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Living in SE Michigan is cheaper than living in Chicago, so if HSR (and I mean genuine, 200-mph bullet trains; 110 mph Amtrak stock just won't cut the mustard) is successful and affordable, I can see some people living in SE MI and commuting to Chicago.

Not to mention all the medium-sized cities along the route (Ann Arbor, Jackson, Kalamazoo, South Bend) that would benefit greatly from increased connectivity with the Midwest's two largest metro areas. Outside of the NEC, the Det-Chi corridor is possibly the most promising for HSR in the country.

(Message edited by glowblue on February 22, 2009)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4162
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the Milwaukee-Chicago is far more promising considering how many people go between the metro, already, and the corridor most ready to go is the St. Louis-Chicago.

Seriously, this isn't going to be so much about commuting given the distance as it will be about tourism.

Danindc

Post Number: 4424
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Seriously, this isn't going to be so much about commuting given the distance as it will be about tourism.

I actually see high speed rail as more of a boon toward business than leisure travel.

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Actually, the Milwaukee-Chicago is far more promising considering how many people go between the metro, already, and the corridor most ready to go is the St. Louis-Chicago.

Chi-Mil is only ~70 miles, though. That's too short for HSR to be worthwhile. Also, St. Louis is far smaller than Detroit, and since new grades would need to be built for HSR anyway, it doesn't matter which Amtrak corridor is in the best shape.

Danindc

Post Number: 4425
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Chi-Mil is only ~70 miles, though. That's too short for HSR to be worthwhile.

In the context of an entire corridor that continues onward to Madison and Minneapolis / St. Paul, though, this comment seems a bit short-sighted. One could also say that Washington and Baltimore are only 40 miles apart....

quote:

Also, St. Louis is far smaller than Detroit, and since new grades would need to be built for HSR anyway, it doesn't matter which Amtrak corridor is in the best shape.

Lmichigan's comment was pointed toward the work that the State of Illinois has been putting into upgrading the Chicago-St. Louis corridor. I'm not sure what the population of St. Louis has to do with anything.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.