Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Saw "Gran Torino" last week » Gran Torino and Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Redwingz
Username: Redwingz

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I know I may be a bit early with this as the movie has yet to achieve national release, but I just got back from seeing Clint Eastwood's latest Gran Torino. You can clearly see a "Charlevoix" street sign along with the address 13140 in one of the scenes. I looked it up and it appears that the said scene was filmed at Charlevoix and Drexel on the Eastside.

Anyone in the area know if in fact that was 13140 Charlevoix in the movie? It appears to be an abandoned storefront. I'd take a look myself but it's a bit of a long drive for me. In one scene there is a Highland Park Police vehicle, which is a stretch given HP's location is nowhere near Charlevoix. I guess you have to be a Detroiter to know things like that.

Good to see Detroit in a movie. While Clint is going up and down his basement stairs, you can see a map of Lake St. Clair on the wall. See the movie when it come out. Not a bad movie, Clint.

John E.
Runyon @ Griener
Now in San Jose

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it was , just didn't look like that part of the east side to me.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 320
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

according to IMDB, the movie was filmed in:

Detroit, Michigan, USA
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, USA (interiors)
Highland Park, Michigan, USA
Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
Warren, Michigan, USA

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the 3rd Gran Torino thread....

Saw "Gran Torino" last week
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/164233.html?1231086149

Gran Torino
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/169689.html?1230645777

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not been to the site, but google maps shows the building and it is the same as in the film.

Little_mike
Username: Little_mike

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redwingz, it's Charlevoix & Drexel. Just go to www.yellowpages.com and click on maps and directions. You can pinpoint the intersection. Then click on birdseye view and pan from every direction.

Ahhhh.... the old neighborhood....!

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 419
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Mike ... did you choose your screen name based on the old store at Charlevoix and Seyburn? If so, that was my great-uncle, Little Mike.

If you see this, please e-mail me at demesrey@yahoo.com.

Little_mike
Username: Little_mike

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry. Never heard of the store.

I E-Mailed you.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.