Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Hockey players discover body frozen in ice « Previous Next »
Archive through January 29, 2009Thefishwrap30 01-29-09  10:22 am
Archive through January 29, 2009Realitycheck30 01-29-09  1:20 pm
Archive through January 29, 2009Realitycheck30 01-29-09  4:00 pm
Archive through January 29, 2009Pffft30 01-29-09  9:28 pm
Archive through January 30, 2009Reddog28930 01-30-09  1:51 am
Archive through January 31, 2009Gnome30 01-31-09  6:12 am
Archive through February 01, 2009Mauser76530 02-01-09  2:09 am
Archive through February 13, 2009Detroitchef30 02-13-09  2:21 pm
Archive through February 13, 2009Mauser76530 02-13-09  8:39 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny Rockets died of cocaine intoxication. he died using drugs he probably bought in that neighborhood. he used the drug in a building left wideopen with other people known to also use drugs in that abandoned structure.

there are laws that attach responsibility to the owner of such properties who allow the structure to be used as a 'drug house'.

there are functioning businesses and municipal facilities on either side of this site. i am sure they would be better off without these two unsecured monstrosities looming over their locations. and so would Corktown in general.

its time to tear them both down.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad one of my local TV favorites passed away in 1980. Sure would like to see a film expose' of urban exploration shown on the old "World Adventure" series hosted by George Pierrot.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 5765
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser - Why do you assume my dislike of criminal activity only applies to 'petty' crime?

I realize the dealers and thugs are a much bigger problem to society. Last I checked however they are not bragging about selling crack and causing violent crime here.

If I could snap my fingers and make only one disappear it would certainly be the violent crime and drug trafficiking. If there is a crack dealer here bragging about how cool selling is I would have many more issues with that person.

So should I assume that it is OK for me to copy and sell your photos since you have no concern for property rights?

Jt1

Post Number: 5766
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

1 - Who here is talking about spraypainting/tagging? The funniest thing is most taggers are amused by how much you get your panties in a bunch about this.

And most taggers are little punk bitches. What's your point?

quote:

2 - You hope someone who enters a building falls through a floor for your amusement? So I can hope you get hit by a big rig while jaywalking?

Fair point and my claim is certainly extreme to prove a point.

quote:

3 - Often when I hear about people getting caught, other people who go into buildings say, "Well, it comes with the territory."

Fair enough.

quote:

I've found no one I know bitching because the building was wide open or because it's in the ghetto.

I have stated time and time again that the city needs to get their heads out of their asses and start going after these slumlords with ridiculous fines and use any leverage possibly to make them secure the building. The building owners and city are both reponsible for allowing this to happen. This still does not justify the action of the tresspassers. If you read my post above I specifically state that the slumlords should be held accountable.

quote:

4 - Your neighborhood argument is ridiculous. I know plenty of people who have explored things within 5 minutes of their house. I know a guy who checked out the house next to his when it became abandoned.

I never stated that people don't explore in their own neighborhood. I just think it is appalling when people explore in their own neighborhood but even more appalling when people come from elsewhere to do it. Both groups are equally guilty, just one doesn't have to deal with the destruction everyday.

The primary issue is people taking upon themselves to selectively determine what should be accessed, what should be destroyed, etc.

(Message edited by jt1 on February 14, 2009)

Mauser765

Post Number: 2990
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aren't jt1 and gnome the same person ? just pick one.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Says the guy who trespasses into the building with the hockey players, takes pictures of them playing their games, posts them on his website for all to see, them mysteriously takes them down when a dead body shows up and his trespassing criminal buddies suddenly decide to go into hiding. I bet those guys have "impossible suburban crap ass attitudes" too, just like the hipsters you bitch about.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2369
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey pimplepopper, don't confuse me with jt1. Different people.

Mauser you want to know why I have a problem with urbex taggers?

Inconsiderate brats. Indolent fart gathers. Childish. Selfish. Vandals. Heathen. You smash and destroy and make dolorous the city to satisfy your singular onanistic release. Naturally leaving the world more miserable for you having been in it.

You don't see the problem of tagging a lightpole or a building because it doesn't mean anything to you, and if it does have meaning, it is like a dog marking his territory. I was here!

To others though it impacts their quality of life. It impacts their business and, in turn, on our future.

Face it Detroit is always going to be a 3rd-class city until it fills with people. Not just clutches of single males sneaking through windows and doorways. Females. Females are the key. Females don't want to come to Detroit because it looks like a hell hole, it is scary.

For example, Mary and Janiqua from Birmingdale Shores head down to the Fox or the State or Greektown and they park next to a windowless, tagged building and a bum asks them for a quarter and another for a square and on Monday morning Mary and Janiqua are at the coffee house telling all their friends about their brush with the hood.

Next weekend guess who isn't coming to Detroit to spend their money? Mary and Janiqua's pals, that's who. You know who isn't coming with them? Their husbands, their children.

You know where those people aren't buying their next house? In Detroit.

You don't think that's true? How many female taggers and urbex explorers you know? 2 out of 20 ... maybe. You ever run into roving tribes of females smashing urinals and breaking windows? No.

Maybe a single female with a group a males, but urbexing is not co-ed, and do you want to know why? Really why?

Most girls don't like going into bombed out buildings because they don't like being stuck somewhere that might require them to poo in a corner. Ladies don't like doing that.

You think it is great fun and of historical import. A hipster expression of taking back the city from those that have let it fall into disrepair. The marking of territory.

That may be true, but the upshot is you are scaring away most females by your destruction of property. To make matters worse you think that there are nuanced degrees 'tween artful tags and offensive ones; you think there is nuance in sneaking in vs breaking in.

It is same continuum of abuse and disrespect. Disrespect not just for the slumlord owner, but for the children that have to walk pass your handiwork. Disrespect to the grandmother on her way to church. Disrespect for Mary and Janiqua and the impossible notion that they'll ever be convinced Detroit is decent place to raise a family.

That is the problem with urbexing and tagging. It is disrepectful to women. Once you have a non-blow-up woman you might understand, until then Mauser, have a blast sniffing around the glory holes.

(Message edited by gnome on February 14, 2009)

Mauser765

Post Number: 2993
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here we go again, chasing your own tails and bitching at idiots like me. Meantime, billionaires have buildings with dead people frozen inside them.

and you keep proving my point over and over again.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2994
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, you like how I also removed my photos from The Detroit Free Press ? Yep - I did all that.

And we are back again to conspiracy theories and apologists.

Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, just so long as you admit to being a trespassing criminal who hangs out with the hockey players and tried to cover up the evidence of it, that is fine with me...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2370
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only point you have Mauser, is between your shoulders.

Hood2643
Username: Hood2643

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a never ending argument. some people think that trespassing is OK, others think people should be shot for it. everyone can find a flaw in someone eases logic.

which brings me to my next point gnome... there are plenty of explorers and taggers that are female. quite making assumptions and basing your solid logic on it

Mauser765

Post Number: 2995
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know the 'urban explorer' that got all these people started on this right ? You wanna ring his neck right ? You want him dead in one of these buildings, right ?

http://www.detroityes.com/webi sodes/2009/090203-Arnold/03.ht m

You got a beef with that, then you are a straight up HYPOCRITE for being on this board at all.

In this case an endorsement of the site is an endorsement of the creator which is an endorsement of this particular activity.

thats called a "gotcha".

Now, why do I hear crickets instead of people gathering torches and pitchforks ?

Mauser765

Post Number: 2996
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The only point you have Mauser, is between your shoulders."

geezuz, this board is infested with 13 year olds now.

"Oh yeah ? You're a ninny noo noo !"

Fixing Detroit, one inane insult at a time. Its posters like the jt1/gnome guy who lend credence to the common misconception that all Detroiters are as crazy as shit house rats.

Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser - the typical person who points fingers and who narcs on others instead of taking responsibility for his own actions. LOL!

Stikine
Username: Stikine

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Mauser deemed the Grand Puba of Detroit Yes? You guys have wayyyyy too much time on your hands,...maybe instead of bitchin about how bad the city is,...shut up and go volunteer at COTS or something!! What you guys argue about,......Sheesh!

Mauser765

Post Number: 2997
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Grand Puba. All the cities woes are my fault according to the troll fudge brigade here.

Dont interrupt, these people live for this. I am their favorite passtime. I am their god.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2998
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hypocrites.

Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are not a god. You are just another criminal.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just scrolling through this thread to see what's going on. You guy's need to seriously go have a drink together.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4122
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, seriously, or something.

Get off it, already. I'd also hope the mods would have enough since to realize when a thread has gone as far as it's going to go and trash it or archive it.

Jt1

Post Number: 5767
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You know the 'urban explorer' that got all these people started on this right ? You wanna ring his neck right ? You want him dead in one of these buildings, right ?

If he is illegally entering buildings then yes, I would have no qualms if something happened to him.

quote:

You got a beef with that, then you are a straight up HYPOCRITE for being on this board at all.

No. You show once again that you lack basic logic. I disagree with anything that Lowell does that supports illegally entering buildings. Posting here is not supporting those activities. It would be the same as me assuming you agree with all US policies, all Michigan policies and all Harper Woods policies because you live there.

quote:

In this case an endorsement of the site is an endorsement of the creator which is an endorsement of this particular activity.

thats called a "gotcha".

No, it is not. It's a shame that you assume posting on a board is an endorsement of the activities of the creator of the board.

quote:

Fixing Detroit, one inane insult at a time. Its posters like the jt1/gnome guy who lend credence to the common misconception that all Detroiters are as crazy as shit house rats.

Th misconception is the fault of the reader. In this case you continue to show that you are clueless and only choose to read the parts of posts that you want.

You conveniently ignore the many posts that specifically state that violent crime is a much more important issue than this. You conveniently ignore the many posts that state that the slumlords are very much at fault and should be heavily fined/prosecuted.

I'd like to say I expect more from you but I really don't.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3319
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same problem in the UK. This guy has a pretty good spin on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Rob5drwwtwE&NR=1

Mauser765

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hypocrites.

Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

criminal.

Stikine
Username: Stikine

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get outside!!!! Take a walk!!! Breathe in some fresh air!

Jt1

Post Number: 5768
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

hypocrites.

Incorrect but as usual you ignore what counters your ridiculous little claim.

I will have your pictures for sale soon. I would expect that you don't mind since you have made it abundantly clear that you do not care about property rights.

And just so you can address the points that you have ignored in the past:

1. I think that violent crime and dealers, murderers, etc are a much bigger problem and need much more attention from DPD. They however don't post on here trying to make themselves look cool. I also think that the slumlords should be fined/prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law as their upkeep of their buildings is unacceptable. That still does not make your criminal behavior acceptable

2. I do not condone Lowell's actions of illegally entering buildings. Posting here is not an endorsement of all of his activities. It's unfortunate that you can't grasp sucha simple concept.

3. I will putting your pictures up for sale for my own profit. If you have any issues with that you are certainly admitting to your own hypocrisy when it comes to property rights.

4. I have posted my e-mail here many times if you want to e-mail. I would be happy to take this discussion off the board.

As usual you will ignore most if not all of these points as you have shown you only like to read what supports your misguided agenda.

Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

criminal.

Mauser765

Post Number: 3006
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will leave this brilliantly discussed topic now for Jt1s trolls to crap all over. enjoy !

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't see a link to this piece on Johnnie Redding:

The last sad days of the Detroit man found frozen
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090212/M ETRO08/902120394/1439/METRO08

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4129
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, this thing has long since run its course. Archive this sucker, {NOW}!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I don't understand is why Manny can't be held responsible for failing to secure his property?(at least then Mr. Redding wouldn't have died there)

Say I had a pool in my yard and no lock on the gate. Then some drunk wandered into my yard and fell in, I could be prosecuted for their death on my property. Hell, I could get sued by a perp for injuring himself while breaking into my house, for that matter.

Old Manny should be held to those same standards.

(Message edited by detroitej72 on February 16, 2009)

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack Lessenberry agrees with Detroiej72 ^ (and I agree with Lmichigan's preceding point, even tho' I'll slide in one last time).

From tail item in Jack's Metro Times column Feb. 18:
quote:

Whatever you do, vote against Matty Moroun: The first of Detroit's many mayoral elections is Tuesday. . . . Nobody should vote for anyone who doesn't proclaim that they will start getting tough with the city's No. 1 slumlord, embarrassment and bad actor, Manuel "Matty" Moroun.

Best known for trying to sabotage efforts to build a new international bridge, Matty last week blamed homeless "trespassers" for the frozen corpse in his Roosevelt warehouse. "What can I do?" the billionaire whined to The Detroit News.

Any decent mayor would tell him: Fix up or tear down those buildings, or face fines, lawsuits and, hopefully, jail.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here we go again . . . Wait'll y'all read Curt Guyette's excellent, in-depth reporting in Metro Times today about L'Affaire LeDuff.

Headline:
quote:

Anatomy of a story
The news about Detroit's frozen man went around the world, but some pertinent details may never catch up

I defended him too much, turns out.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, ya think?

and what about those of us you attacked while defending him?

(Message edited by wood on February 25, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.