Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Hockey players discover body frozen in ice » Archive through January 29, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, not only did the hockey players not call the police, but they were so unconcerned with a dead human corpse, they still played the game. And I won't let the homeless guys of either. They could have gone to Michigan Ave. and flagged down a patrol car. Talk about APATHY!!! I am so sick of this BS. When are we going to wake up. Some of these SOB's will never get it. I am starting to feel that some of these fools need to be put on a deserted island by themselves. Yes i am am dead serious.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5906
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, Fishwrap, do you keep a photo of LeDouche on your wall, in his everpresent ski-hat?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

exactly fishwarp. I like Leduff. If you don't like him, I guess there's always Edgar Guest you can re-read.

Personally,
I'd rather flunk the Wasserman test
Than read a poem by Edgar Guest.

(Message edited by gnome on January 29, 2009)

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a case of negligent homocide, to me. Just how much can this Matty Moroun get away with?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good line, Gnome.
I saw a book of Guest's poems at John King's, maybe a gift can be arranged...

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice raccoon hat, Charlie...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5194
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister, that's the type of thinking needed. How to get things changed instead of constantly dwelling on and rubbernecking at the carnage.

Recognize the problem; Develop a practice; Continue until the problem is gone.

A solutions practice needs to be developed.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 880
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't see where Mr. LeDuff is the problem here. Yes, he may never win a Pulitzer, and a few of his Roundtable videos have been completely useless due primarily to his inept questioning, but this story is capable, indeed compelling, reporting. One wonders if his editor will allow him to follow up on a story about the deceased once he is identified.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This story certainly needed to be brought out.

But I could really do without most of LeDuff's self-dramatizing. It gets very tiresome very fast, and also makes a confusing mush of the story itself. He's sort of a savant's Mitch Albom.

This story is sad and troubling enough in its own right, and didn't really need to be subjected to LeDuff's look-at-me crusading reporter act.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, absolutely, the real issue here is the writer of the fucking story. nevermind the dead person or the army of homeless people, who happen to be living in a building owned by the city's biggest absentee property owner.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's my point. That's the story Charlie outlined, but didn't really tell. Instead we got cool urban hard-boiled reporter dude with all of that as a sad background. Moroun gets a mention and a little sideswipe, but not much else.

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who, exactly, is guilty of “constantly dwelling on and rubbernecking at the carnage” ??

You can’t really say it’s the media. There were several homicides this week that barely got mentioned in the media at all. A body found in front of the Detroit Yacht Club, with 2 bullets to the head got 4 sentences in the Detroit News, and as far as I’m aware, no mention by any other media outlet (or on this board) at all.

While a bus driver from Monroe was in Detroit to plan his father’s funeral, he was killed in front of his sister’s house on Nardin Park. This got a brief mention in the Monroe News, but was ignored by the Detroit media and this board.

And a 17 year old was killed yesterday on the West side (Tireman & Schaefer) and no mention of it in the media or DY at all.

These are just a few over the past couple of days that come to mind.

Meanwhile, during the same time period, the most popular thread on Detroit-Yes is entitled “Four Days to Eat in Detroit, help me plan”. This hardly sounds like “constantly dwelling on and rubbernecking at the carnage.”

(Message edited by johnberk on January 29, 2009)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9235
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And a 17 year old was killed yesterday on the West side (Tireman & Schaefer) and no mention of it in the media or DY at all.

Where'd you hear about it?

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a video on youtube called "Urbex Hockey League", filmed in the flooded basement of a Detroit building. Now its gone......

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, I was standing in line at the post office & people in line were talking about it. Have seen nothing on the news.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3686
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My personal quip about Mr. LeDuff's articles is that they always come across as condescending... As does most media articles about poor Detroit, so he isn't alone.

IRC, Mr. LeDuff is not currently a Detroit resident, and as far as I know he has never been one. I think the people who live in Detroit (or have lived in Detroit within the past 20 years) already know how it is there. Detroiters don't need some reporter to come in and enlighten them about the situation. I think we've seen this show before. (Heck, the infamous "Detroit is burning" Nightline segment was made over 20 years ago.)

So what is Charlie trying to achieve other than to be another "this is me mocking you" voice in an oversaturated market? Even with this story, a story with which he could've gotten deep into the heart of why Detroit looks as it does, he spends more time mocking overworked city services providers than criticizing billionaire property owners who let their property become abandoned eyesores. Wasn't Charlie LeDuff the same reporter who just weeks ago wrote an overall positive profile of Matty Maroun?

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised that most of the outrage here is aimed at Charlie LeDuff rather than at the asshole hockey players who have so fucking little regard for human life that they kept playing hockey and just ignored the corpse. That is the most hard-hearted, disgusting thing I have ever heard.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am deeply saddened by the picture. This body was once someone's child.

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm surprised that most of the outrage here is aimed at Charlie LeDuff rather than at the asshole hockey players who have so fucking little regard for human life that they kept playing hockey and just ignored the corpse. That is the most hard-hearted, disgusting thing I have ever heard"

Wow.. Alittle harsh?

Dont belive everything you read.. Maybe only a couple people discovered the body and the majority of the group had no clue? Maybe the body was in other part of the building, far away (out of sight) where everyone was? Maybe the people that found the body were too much in shock to say something about it? I know what to believe

Thafuzz
Username: Thafuzz

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised that most of the outrage here is aimed at Charlie LeDuff rather than at the asshole hockey players...

I'm surprised that you're surprised (being the DY veteran you are.) Lilpup's comments make me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork. LeDuff did his job as a reporter and reported the news - I don't need him to be a Teddy Bear for an Adult(C) and tell me what to do about it.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Canuck please give me some hope and tell me what to believe. You say shock? Did the couple of people stay for the hockey game after their shock? Did they leave the building without saying a word to anyone? Tell us what you believe.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least LeDuff called the police...

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats going on here?? Finding dead bodies at various locations in the city is commonplace, back in the 70s I worked for Northern Engineering, what we thought was a bum sleeping in the parking lot was actually a victim of street justice or a crime, the back of his head was blown off and the body dumped. No mention in the Freep or Detnews at that time.

This is Detroit.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 528
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cub. Canuckr, they were so in shock that they couldn't call the police? But they weren't in so much shock that they couldn't finish playing hockey.

If it was only a couple that discovered the body and not the whole group, that the number decreased from the whole group to only two doesn't change the fact that those two then are still "asshole hockey players who have so fucking little regard for human life that they kept playing hockey and just ignored the corpse."

And no, I don't think that's too harsh. If I could tell them that in person I would.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedodger: "I am deeply saddened by the picture. This body was once someone's child."

Well stated. IMHO the action or inaction of the hockey players or one's criticism of journalism is not the issue here.

LMichigan hit the nail on the head in Post #4041.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 753
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am with you there dtown lady

Thefishwrap
Username: Thefishwrap

Post Number: 5

Gravity, Eastside:

I understand where you are coming from on that, and kind of agree with you. I'm guessing it's kind of difficult to tell the story without mentioning how he got involved, etc. though.

I do hope he does follow-up work here, and I expect that.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 741
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for the alleged "code" of urban adventurers.

I guess that code must mean "what happens here, stays here".

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2915
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The area where hockey was played was down in the basement. The area where the body was found in the shaft is accessible from the main level on the opposite side of the building.

Canuckr speaks the truth, do not trust everything you read. Note that the APs national articles wont touch the part about the hockey players because it is unsourced and besides the point.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 90129/ap_on_re_us/frozen_body;_ylt=AlW.n7T1IsdHIEIlZiM1PMNv zwcF

The open building, the open elevator shafts, the homeless squatters, the billionaire owner, the piles of abandoned school supplies, the mountains of personal student records still dumped in the building containing SS#s and mental histories, the lethargic response from police - ALL of these things outstrip anything about people playing hockey in the same building. That part of the story died out because it isnt exactly true, and was based on flimsy hearsay.

The guys that used to play hockey down there would have called THE POLICE anonymously - not the freakin DETROIT NEWS. That right there should tell everybody that this part of the story is not right.

When they found the dead body in the Carlton it wasnt a big sensation, but then there was no Leduff selling the story like soapflakes either.

Or in MCS.

etc.

Dont believe everything you read. Damn straight.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMichigan isn't alone in wondering how long "this building will remain so widely open to the public? Isn't it far past time the city confronted Matty, already?"

This from the Sweet Juniper local blog by Jim and 'Wood,' "Two people raising their kids in the most dangerous city in America":
quote:

I plan on driving by later today to see if that billionaire asshole who owns the place has sent his minions to board it up again, given the fact it's now a front page local news story. . . . Hopefully this awful tragedy will generate enough attention to finally get something done about that hulking mess.