Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Hockey players discover body frozen in ice » Archive through January 29, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Mauser and Reality.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2279
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you google "urbex hockey" detroit you'll find that these guys have deleted most of their pics, however, click on the cached links and you'll find their fun loving romps through the ruins of Detroit.

A couple of them appear to be major posters on this forum.

Needless to say, their code of honor rings hollow.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9238
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well there was this thread from Jan 2007:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/95310.html

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4433
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the ghetto. where you can find dead body at a ghettohood.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As predictably as foul fumes from Downriver . . .

. . . as reflexively as a stray cat chasing anything that moves . . .

Redfordette slinks by to piss into a thread:
quote:

Jeez, Fishwrap, do you keep a photo of LeDouche on your wall, in his everpresent ski-hat?

This is at least the 2nd time in 2 days (who can keep track?) she dilutes a discussion with some acid.

Tuesday's worthless entry, on a thread titled 'Great Detroit piece in Weekly Standard,' says in full:
quote:

CJR can pour all the syrup it wants over the turd, it remains a turd.

[Unclear if reference is to mag piece flagged by RhymesWithRawk or to Charlie LeDuff, quoted in it.]

--> My point isn't that Redfordette, or anyone, should post only words of agreement or support. I'm just sayin' something of substance would be welcome, that's all.

For the record, I don't know Charlie and agree he over-weaves the silvery strands now and again . . . but I see no reason to question his sincere commitment to improving the city. Fishwrap and Gnome put it well earlier.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can't leave anyone out of the circle, Police, Hockey Players, Matty, ect. You need to expand on your post Mauser. Are you saying the hockey players were not there, did not see the body, and thee reporter is telling a lie about getting a call from one of them?

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could Detroit Edison turn off the power and just let this guy freeze to death?

This is tragic.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats not funny :-)

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In detroit stimulas package from Obama should include beefing up our law and security enforcement. Install camaras on every other light post...... can't trust ones word anymore. Revamp the whole police department and get rid of those crooked cops and make some changes. Create strict law for billionares or city property owner to take action on their vacant property or deal with jail time.

This will continue if somethings doesn't change, I'm really sick of this! Why it seem everyones crooked and I'm the only few concern citizen who cares bout ones lives. I need to see change now ......there's alot of crooked people who doesn't care to change this city and move forward, those the ones that need to leave.

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i smell a new "hockeytown" marketing campaign.....

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9238
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:26 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Well there was this thread from Jan 2007:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/95310.html

What happened to the pictures on detroitfunk??

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit had 340 homicides last year. That's almost one a day. I would guess about 25 percent wind up as stories in the two papers, probably less. The News and Free Press are open to a lot of criticism, but not for being sensational on crime.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit had 340 homicides last year. That's almost one a day. I would guess about 25 percent wind up as stories in the two papers, probably less. The News and Free Press are open to a lot of criticism, but not for being sensational on crime.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From midday update in Freep:
quote:

Cockrel said the building probably should be torn down, but large abandoned structures can cost millions to raze -- and the city is looking into whether any of the expected federal stimulus money could be put to that use. Ideally, Moroun would level the building or redevelop it, but the city doesn’t have the money to front the cost of demolition and then bill him as it does to owners with smaller blighted structures, Cockrel said.

. . . Councilman Kwame Kenyatta said he faults Moroun for the situation more than 911 and questioned how Moroun could still leave the building unsecured.

“It lays at the doorstep of Matty Moroun,” he said. “This man is the richest person in the state. … He more than anybody else has the capacity to resolve that issue.”

Amen.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2916
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the pics on detroitfunk were taken down cause the hockey guys hate publicity and didnt want the attention. thats why i say its impossible that any of them called the detnews. nobody here knows that whoever was in the building doing whatever DIDNT call the police. we know that the Detroit freakin News had to call three times for any response.

if they did call and the cops didnt respond, how exactly would you know ?

you wouldnt.

tree falling in a forest.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 919
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that the Book depository has been boarded up many times. I see it closed and then open. Guys just take it down. Dangerous tribes took up residence. What can be done - lock them in with iron over the windows?

Maybe tear gas them out? But they will come back...

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe they broke the code of honor. Wow. What pieces of garbage.

I wonder if they left more than footprints or took more than pictures? Oh holy code of honor!

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the hockey guys hate publicity and didnt want the attention. thats why i say its impossible that any of them called the detnews.

The Detroit News doesn't say that the hockey players called them.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the free press is reporting that the police did respond on the day the body was first reported, searched the warehouse and didn't find it.

given charlie leduff's documented history of plagiarism and outright fabrication, is it any surprise he comes off as the hero in this story---the hardboiled reporter who boldly waited for the nonresponsive police to come dig this man out of his "frozen indifference"? everyone is a bad guy here except for him (the urban explorers, the hockey players, the 911 operators, the homeless who live there, the police).

but does anyone really doubt that charlie leduff wasn't totally salivating when he first saw those legs sticking out of the ice? and it wasn't out of compassion.

Wood

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also, Moroun's goons have been out repairing the numerous places in the fence where it had been compromised, and covered the hole in the western doorway with a temporary measure that looked like a pallet nailed up against the frame.

too bad it took a corpse to get him to do something about it.

SWmap, moroun did have the western doorway re-boarded once in the last two years, and it lasted a few months. there was ALWAYS an 5'x5' hole in the fencing just on the northeast side of the building which gave easy access to the loading docks, and the building overall. this hole has now been repaired.

my guess is we'll see moroun securing the building about as much as the depot [i.e. repairs made in the fencing but nothing done to the windows or other access points] for a few weeks until this dies down.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The boarding up is not sufficient. The boards fall"off the windows and doors from the wind blowing thru the bldg - this is not how the "tribes" are getting in. The boardup activity is like putting perfume on a pig, just a show for the neighborhood.
I doubt if Mr. Moroun will ever have to pay the piper.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, Raymond Carver already went over this;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J indabyne_(film)

When I was a child a dead guy was found in an abandoned house. He had been kicked to death, & his pockets turned inside out. His friends said when they saw him last he'd hd $6.00. In my mind, human life in the early 70's Cass Corridor was worth $6.00(feel free to adjust for inflation). So the mugger who took my mother's purse with the $40 for my father's b-day present @ Federal's from my siblings & myself when I was 4 gave us an incredible deal. Detroit didn't become Detroit overnight, from the Hairbuyer(NOT a Wig Shop)on down. If a Giuliani gets in, I'll revise my opinion

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3030
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good ol' DetroitYes!
Always immediate with judgment & blame assignation, always insistent on demonizing someone, anyone.

(General comment; not directed at previous poster.)

Mauser765

Post Number: 2917
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Detroit News doesn't say that the hockey players called them."

so why are we talking about hockey players ?

My point is that you dont know that the hockey players did not call police. We only know police were initially unresponsive to several calls.

"my guess is we'll see moroun securing the building about as much as the depot"

right now you can almost drive a car in the back of the station on the tracks side. easier to get in than the RenCen.

Wood

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, that's my point. he'll put up fence and shrug about everything else. "what can I do? I'm just a son of an immigrant and a former gas station attendant?"

the train station has NEVER been hard to get inside.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Because they (or a couple of them) allegedly saw the corpse and continued to play hockey, without calling the police. Allegedly. I don't know that they didn't call the police and I don't know that they did.

You're right, Mauser, we don't know but it seems like some people may know more than others.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2918
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Detroit News doesn't say that the hockey players called them."

My point is that you dont know that the hockey players did not call police. We only know police were initially unresponsive to several calls. Whether or not the hockey guys may have been callous is irrelevant and not substantiated. Im not friends with any of those folks, but I cant believe a single one of them would ignore such a thing as a dead human.

"my guess is we'll see moroun securing the building about as much as the depot"

right now you can almost drive a car in the back of the station on the tracks side. easier to get in than the RenCen.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

yep. scrappers appear to have ripped out one of those metal roll up doors back in the early fall

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Matty Moroun owns the place and the city doesn't bill him to tear it down. Then how about charging him with a crime since his failure to secure the building MAY be directly attributed to this death?

Kim Worthy, are you listening?

I am increasingly embarrassed to say I'm a resident of this city

Realitycheck

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go right ahead and say he's a glory hound, Wood. Claim he's an opportunist, a purple prose mainliner, a Hunter Thompson wannabe . . .

I'd agree (while wondering 'so what?')

BUT you risk legal consequences with actionable attacks on a living person's ethical integrity and professional performance:
quote:

given charlie leduff's documented history of plagiarism and outright fabrication . . .

I'm not a lawyer, but I do know that kind of loose talk can bring Lowell a subpoena to identify you and could put your assets or future earnings in jeopardy if you lose a slander or defamation of character lawsuit.

It's happened over online postings elsewhere, as discussed here and here. Even eBay feedback comments provoked a long-shot 2003 suit, which still cost $ to get dismissed.

Just sayin' watch your words, Wood. This isn't bar talk or some other private conversation.