Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Hockey players discover body frozen in ice » Archive through January 30, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 534
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's saying that it is not correct that the hockey players saw the body and kept playing. Which I say he cannot know unless he has inside information. He cannot possibly know that otherwise.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What wasn't "told right" the first time?
Re the cops, how hard it is to find an elevator shaft with a body frozen in it?

What wasn't right is that the cops DID respond to the first 911 call. They couldn't find it. And to answer your second question, did you see the picture? Now try finding that in a huuuuuuuuuge warehouse in the dark with maybe only a flashlight when the ice is dirty and dark and the ground is littered with all sorts of crap.

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares about the hockey players, the homeless guys have been living about 20 feet from the corpse for at least a month! "I don't recognize him from the shoes."

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are they gonna do, Bosch? Call 911 on their cell phones? Hold up a cardboard sign on the side of the road: "Need money to call 911 to report body encased in ice in abandoned building"? They're also trespassing and squatting illegally, some of them possibly forced out of Roosevelt Park by the DPD. They also had more important things to worry about, such as not winding up like the Ice Man. I can't say I blame them for not being able to make the call.

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on January 29, 2009)

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the dark,in that basement,it would be almost impossible to find that person.We do not know if the call went in the location of the person,or just a d/b in a warehouse.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With "maybe only a flashlight" ...have you ever been in a place where cops were doing a search? Do you really think they come armed with nothing but a flashlight?

LeDuff wrote that he went over and the body was still there. He presumed nobody had come, he didn't state that for a fact. It's a natural presumption after the Keystone Kops way that 911 handled his numerous calls.

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't this body be a little trickier to 'retrieve' than your average body as well?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was certainly implied. Why would LeDouche not SAY that the cops were unable to find him? And why did he not help them find the body? Because it wouldn't be as sensational of a story if the body was found right away.

Pffft

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would he be "LeDouche" if he worked for the Free Press?

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft,Yes I have,a two man car with two flashlights looking through an expansive building.Navi,that also plays into it.Think about how small a target that is.I'm not making excuses for DPD but its not always csi.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, but is leduff a presumer or a reporter? it's fine to be a presumer, but then we have the right to question whether what he is doing is reporting or just opining and telling stories.

this story is being treated as though it were a traditional news story, with the only real "news" being leduff's whole "indifference" theme, i.e. the indifference of the DPD. as a resident of Detroit, I sure as hell would rather have the DPD indifferent to two-month old frozen corpses if the concerns of the living demand priority. as it stands, and despite leduff's tidy human interest spin, the DPD were inept in their search but not indifferent.

you have to commend the paper's sensationalism. leduff's piece would have made a great "day after" opinion piece. but it's lousy news reporting.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would he be "LeDouche" if he worked for the Free Press?

What does it matter where he works? If you are not going to report the story fully, it should not be reported. The fact is that he made our city's boys and girls in blue look like they were neglectful and implied that no one heeded his 911 call about a DB in the repository. But they DID respond. That's either lazy reporting or willingly omitting the facts to get a better story.

Pffft

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It matters to you, you keep beating your Free Press drum.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pfffft, I have no drum. If the facts were reported in the News and the Freep had flubbed the story, I would be saying the same.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4045
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one that got the feeling that someone(s), here, may know more about this than they are telling us. I mean, there is absolutely no need outside of simply knocking LeDuff for his journalism for anyone to give such impassioned knocks against the hockey part of the story, at all, unless they'd been there or know the people there. If the hockey part isn't important, than those that keep yelling (yes, we can hear you through these-here intertubes) stop making this important by calling attention to themselves, quite frankly.

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i really want to know about the hockey.... how's the ice???

Pffft

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pfffft, I have no drum. If the facts were reported in the News and the Freep had flubbed the story, I would be saying the same.

ROFLMAO

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ROFLMAO

Kwame? Is that you?
Damn. LOL. ROFLMAO is what you see.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is another dead person in detroit and you fuckers are arguing sematics and infinitesimal discrepancies in the story, what a bunch of heroes

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a bunch of heroes

And what do you want us to do about it, Gravity? All I can do is promise to not kill anybody.

Cjd
Username: Cjd

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
OK, Matty Moroun owns the place and the city doesn't bill him to tear it down. Then how about charging him with a crime since his failure to secure the building MAY be directly attributed to this death?

Kim Worthy, are you listening?
Wait, did I miss something? Now Matty might not be the best guy in they city, and he might not have the best kept buildings... but we're putting blame on a property owner because some people trespassed onto his land, broke into his building, and then one person died there and some others failed to call the police to tell them about it (possibly b/c they were afraid of attracting police attention to their own actions)? I don't remember anyone now ripping Matty who ever attacked a forumer whose house was broken into because the intruder may have gotten injured during the break-in.
The deceased wasn't a kid as far as I can tell. He doesn't appear to have been lured there by some attractive danger, like a five year old may be attracted to a swimming pool. At best (for the deceased), the guy was an innocent that was killed and then dumped on Matty's property. Ok, maybe Matty is then guilty of creating an environment where people can hide dead bodies. It seems like every block you look on Detroit has some place that would similarly qualify. But maybe Matty's place wouldn't be that way if people wouldn't break in all the time. It also could be that the deceased was just looking for a place to burn some trash and stay warm. I don't blame him, its been extremely cold this winter. But we are going to hang Matty for not boarding up the place tighter and not denying this guy a place to get warm? We'd be better off forcing these people out into the bare elements? Moreover, there's the possibility that the guy was up to something nefarious and simply had an accident. Certainly we aren't faulting Matty for an injured trespasser, are we? Should we all have a duty to make it safe for any and all possible trespassers on our property.
It seems there's a lot to fault MM for, but I don't quite see the connection with trying to hang him on a pole for this.

Cjd

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There appears to be at least one picture of detroit urbex hockey league participants (although from 2007) that has not (yet) been deleted:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.co m/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewTag gedPhoto&friendID=56872199&ima geUserID=3309491&imageID=73324 52

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And it appears that maybe I spoke too soon and unfairly blasted poor Chaz LeDuff. Apparently, LeDuff says he and a photographer were outside the repository at the time police say they went to look for the body. The egg is on my face. I owe LeDuff an e-apology. I guess I just got well, worked up. It would appear that the DPD officers may have lied about their whereabouts on the run sheets. That would be a mighty ballsy lie for LeDuff to come up with otherwise: saying the cops weren't there when they said they were. Sheeeeeeeeeee-it, I guess the douche was me. Sorry all.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cjd

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:36 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
There appears to be at least one picture of detroit urbex hockey league participants (although from 2007) that has not (yet) been deleted:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.co m/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewTag gedPhoto&friendID=56872199&ima geUserID=3309491&imageID=73324 52

Well, whadda ya know. Less than a half an hour and it is already deleted/hidden. Good thing I saved a copy of it. I wonder why all of a sudden these photos and videos have been disappearing from the 'net? Curious.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Rhymes: Where are you getting your information that the police might be lying?

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If/when the DPD did show up looking for the body and LeDuff wasn't there, you'd think the occupants would show them right to it. Didn't seem to be a big secret or anything.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is the hobos scattered to the wind once the fuzz descended on the repository.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macknwarren: No allegations of lying, per se, but something doesn't add up with police saying they were there and this:

"According to the run sheets, officers entered the warehouse at 5:14 p.m. and left at 5:56 p.m. This reporter and a photographer were outside the warehouse at those times and saw no police cruiser. The evening was growing dark, however, and the possibility of finding a body inside the warehouse would have been difficult even in daylight conditions."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090130/M ETRO/901300388

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 535
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Thefishwrap, your three posts in this thread sound like they could have been written by Charlie LeDuff. Thefishwrap = newspaper. Are you affiliated with the News or Free Press? Care to divulge? If you're not Charlie LeDuff, please please please let it be M.L. Elrick.

:-)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 875
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This whole thing reminds me of the movie "Stand by Me". Seeing that photo of those two legs stickin outta the ice made me really think that I do have it alright and that poor guy along with the two other mentioned frozen bodies found in the last few days had to end up that way. Sad times all around. May they all rest in peace.