Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Hockey players discover body frozen in ice » Archive through January 31, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2927
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This whole thing reminds me of the movie "Stand by Me". "

agreed !

Mauser765

Post Number: 2928
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

glad to see the conspiracy theories are still glowing red hot this morning. whos fault is it today ? somebody here knows something they arent talking about, dammit.

waitaminute wait a MINUTE - WHERES MY MYSPACE PHOTO ?!

oh, there it is.. I thought it was deleted during the night.

lol

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL on NPR

http://www.npr.org/templates/s tory/story.php?storyId=1000274 56

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. I'm with GravityMachine in wondering why some forumers focus on "arguing sematics and infinitesimal discrepancies in the story."

2. I salute Rhymes for stepping up with a record-correction and e-apology.

3. This ardent Moroun critic admires CJD's sense of balance in saying "there's a lot to fault MM for, but I don't quite see the connection with trying to hang him on a pole for this."

4. I can't imagine what motivates attorney Wood's persistent attacks on the messenger. True, Charlie didn't hesitate to tell readers he was a player in this event . . . but:

* He didn't place the body there.
* Nothing beyond assumptions indicates he made up descriptions of any events that followed the tip he got.
{*} A strong quote putting the tale in context comes from fire Capt. Emma McDonald: "Every time I think I've seen it all, I see this."
* He quotes and names squatters aged 38 and 47. Anyone besides Wood think those details are made up by "a presumer"?
* He reports a revealing State of the City '09 detail I hadn't known:
quote:

Some shelters in the city provide only a chair. The chair is yours as long as you sit in it. Once you leave, the chair is reassigned.

How does that fit the Charlie-as-hero rap?

Please tell us what's got your goat, Wood? (Uh, no offense, Goat. Unfortunate figure of speech.)

Seriously now, this is another ad hominem attack based on facts not in evidence:
quote:

it's fine to be a presumer, but then we have the right to question whether what he is doing is reporting or just opining and telling stories.

. . . the only real "news" being leduff's whole "indifference" theme . . .

It was a news-feature, not a breaking news or 'hard news' report, which looked at how some Detroiters live and die downtown in 2009 . . .

. . . and what happens when a frozen corpse in a tough-to-find spot is reported.

The fact that it's widely discussed here and elsewhere, and receiving Day Two coverage in both dailies, says more about the impact than the claim by Mr. 'Wood' that "it's lousy news reporting."

I believed your "sorry to be a prick" note yesterday, Counselor, but now I wonder . . .

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5907
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a few people left who actually care about the quality of information that we get in this poor damn city. That story did not belong on the front page, not in the form is ran, with CLD being part of the story. It became more offensive when the corpse was lovingly displayed. The Detroit News has entered tabloid-ville, I hope you like it, RC, because that's what we're going to have from now on.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 745
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd dissagree with your assessment Oldredfordette.
I think it was entirely appropriate to put it where it was displayed. Tacky? Sure, but it sure as hell got people's attention. I think of it as a wake up call to the city, and to the region in general.

No more business as usual.

Thefishwrap
Username: Thefishwrap

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown_lady: No, I'm not LeDuff or part of either newspaper. Just very interested in this story. I've lurked around here forever and just started posting when it interested me.

I was called out earlier for 'loving LeDuff' or something, but I'll be first to admit that I really like LeDuff's reporting. It's unlike anything that is happening in Detroit right now.

But this whole police run/him reporting he was there, gives me suspicions about the reporting on this story. It's going to be fascinating how this all plays out, I think.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post RC, but is there any way a lawyer can't be a prick? It kind of comes with the gig. Be a lawyer, be a prick. Prickdomness is a resume builder. A lawyer is either a big prick or a dumb prick, but prick none-the-less. You hire lawyers for their prickness.

Whenever I hear a lawyer say, "sorry to be a prick" I think of a wolf apologising for eating meat.

Isn't Wood another name for a ..., nah, too easy.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That photo was no more "lovingly displayed" than the one of the frightened nine-year-old Vietnamese girl running nude and screaming down a road after being napalmed in 1972. That photo ran on front pages of newspapers, caused a frenzy of reaction, won the Pulitzer and led to widespread disgust -- and action -- over the war in Vietnam.

Here it is, in case anyone's forgotten: http://www.peace.ca/kimstory.h tm

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 754
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the simplist of solutions to this whole thing is for the Police to just do their job, stay out of other people's property, bums get a job, hockey players find an outdoor pond or a rink and don't kill anyone. Easy enough.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3690
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe the simplist of solutions to this whole thing is for the Police to just do their job

Well... Don't know if you all read the Freep this morning, but they threw in a sly swipe at Mr. LeDuff. LeDuff claimed that the police didn't show up for nearly 2 days, when in fact the records show that the police responded within 15 minutes of his first call:

quote:

On Tuesday, police logged a call of a "body in elevator shaft in mid of bldg," according to a police report.

The call was taken at about 4:46 p.m., and officers were dispatched at 4:57 p.m. to an old Detroit Public Schools warehouse on 14th Street and Michigan Avenue, the report indicates.

http://freep.com/article/20090 130/NEWS01/901300321/Records++ Cops+responded+to+call+on+froz en+body

Sensationalize much?

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did the photog take the picture then?They should have been able to give pretty good directions,if they went in and took the pic.There's a diffrence in,go look in a building to,in the front door go to the main shaft lower level to the left.Something is odd....

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3691
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When did the photog take the picture then?They should have been able to give pretty good directions,if they went in and took the pic.There's a diffrence in,go look in a building to,in the front door go to the main shaft lower level to the left.Something is odd....

There is also a difference in making a(n) (unsubstantiated) claim that the civil servants ignored his call, and acknowledging that they did investigate but happened to overlook the corpse. It wouldn't exactly be the first time that Detroit received a prank 911 call...

Pffft

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you miss the part where LeDuff wrote that he and the photographer were outside the warehouse at the time the cops claim they went?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I missed it, but when did LeDuff claim that the police didn't show up for two days?
In his initial piece he states that the body was still there 24 hours latter. He doesn't state anything about the police not showing up.

Piss poor job by 911 and the police. LeDuff states that 20 minutes after his initial call to 911 that they (911) called the newsroom and asked him about the location again. When the police had a problem locating the body why didn't they have 911 contact CL again and have him describe the location or meet them down there?

As far as it being dark and being hard to see, it's a dead body for Christ's sake. Is the DPD hurting for money that bad that they can't purchase extra powerful flashlights? I've got about a half dozen powerful flashlights lying around my house. Maybe next time they might want to borrow one.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes,If that where the case,why did he not comment on that when questioned in the second article?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 685
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just FYI, I received calls from friends in New York & California about this little story. The word is spreading.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oy, as my Omi Anna used to say in Upper Manhattan.

Comes now Crain's blogger Bill Shea with purple-haze prose of his own. A post this afternoon says Charlie's news-feature . . .
quote:

. . . screamed to me: This is Detroit.

It seemed to encapsulate the city's myriad woes lately: homelessness, urban decay, loneliness, grime, fear, greed, selfishness, scandal ... I'm out of adjectives, and hopeful isn't one of them.

It was a photograph of the icy, ashen-gray urban malaise, fear, hopelessness and lonely death that pervades this city, not unlike the the shrouded figure stalking Prince Prospero's masquerade ball in Poe's "Mask of the Red Death."

Oy, noch einmal.

On a more sober note, he also quotes Moroun the Younger (Matthew), whom he happened to be accompanying yesterday on a Gateway Project show-and-sell.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the crain's story
quote:

I hadn't seen it at that point, nor read the story and had no idea it was in his father's building. Moroun turned to me, seemingly frustrated and genuinely concerned, and asked: "How do we keep people out of these buildings?"

with something more than a chainlink fence and a couple haphazardly placed pieces of plywood?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4929
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Victim identified:

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090130/NEWS01/90130091/Police +identify+frozen+body

Pffft

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little more detail:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090130/M ETRO/901300457

Mauser765

Post Number: 2929
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where the HELL do these guys learn to write this soap operaesque syrupy cheese they come up with ?

somebody light a match.

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised nobody took the poor guy's shoes.

Gnome

Post Number: 2287
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright Mauser, here is a challenge for your writing skills:

Re-write the LeDuff piece the way you'd report it. You present yourself as a critic inwhich we should pay attention.

Now, prove your worth.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4051
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

with something more than a chainlink fence and a couple haphazardly placed pieces of plywood?

A-fu%ckin-men, excuse my French. The gall of that old bridge troll to feign concern. He can sure as hell keep people off of, and away from, his damned precious Ambassador. Perhaps, that's a place to start, Matty.

BTW, that was much more directed at Manny, not his son.

(Message edited by lmichigan on January 30, 2009)

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 845
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, most of the best writers, novelists, authors in the world couldn't have dreamed this scenario up. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 759
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Life is the crummiest book I ever read,
There isnt a hook, just a lot of cheap shots,
Pictures to shock and characters an amateur would never dream up

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction"
B.R.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2930
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Re-write the LeDuff piece the way you'd report it. "

Just cut the melodrama fucking CHEESE.
pretty simple folks.

That wasnt "reporting" btw. That was what we call in the industry "creating news".

Spirit2028
Username: Spirit2028

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A video clip of the 14th Street Roosevelt Warehouse and the hockey rink in the basement. www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5PAq4 kDSj4&feature=channel_page

Gnome

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

pretty simple folks

Then you shouldn't have any trouble doing it.

Piece of cake, ez as pi, ...

We're waiting for you to teach us the proper way to report this story. Apparently I do not know because I think LeDuff wrote a pretty compelling report; but since you, Mauser, have a more discerning sensibility and a more refined knowledge of the proper way to write, please grace us with your informed insight.

Or are you just going to slink off to another thread, and pretend you didn't read this request?