Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Star Trek at the Science Center - this looks awesome!!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitsciencecente r.org/upcoming_exhibits.html

I am SOOOO looking forward to this!!!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9339
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That stuff is from the Hilton in Vegas. They dismantled it after they couldn't agree to a lease renewal. Looks like they are bringing quite a bit of it here, too bad Quark's Bar won't be included. I always enjoyed a Romulan Ale or a smoking vessel of red something or other before going on the rides.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really doesn't have a lot to do with science though, does it?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9341
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it attracts nerds, and nerds like science, so... I mean, I see the correlation.

Nerd and proud.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By chance, I attended a conference at the Hilton in Las Vegas and went through the exhibit. It was awesome.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 734
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Really doesn't have a lot to do with science though, does it?"

Perhaps not, but if it brings people in the door, is it a bad thing? In my case, it was BECAUSE of shows like Star Trek that I grew up with an interest in science.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9357
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Perhaps not, but if it brings people in the door, is it a bad thing? In my case, it was BECAUSE of shows like Star Trek that I grew up with an interest in science.

You and pretty much everybody working at NASA. I'm sure the original prototype for the Shuttle wasn't called Enterprise on accident.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Star Trek was a MAJOR influence on technology and technology research. It brought a lot of people to science and it sparked their imaginations (don't you think the original flip top communicator that Kirk used in the original series didn't inspire flip phone cell phones?)

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking forward to the new Star Trek film to be released this Spring.Helmsman Sulu is to be portrayed by that Asian actor who portrayed Harold in the Harold and Kumar stoner films. Since Sci-Fi invokes the question "What If?", I wonder if he'll be wearing a a pair of Speed-o's with a hemp leaf on the front package ala the Olymiam Toker, Mr. Phelps, under the Star-Fleet uniform?

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that folks can win a WEDDING on the bridge of the Star Trek Enterprise...

Cool!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3803
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, talk about extremes on here. I'm in the middle, neither fan nor newbie.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wife, daughter and i are going tomorrow...

were going to do the IMAX too...

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El jimbo says: "Star Trek was a MAJOR influence on technology and technology research. It brought a lot of people to science and it sparked their imaginations (don't you think the original flip top communicator that Kirk used in the original series didn't inspire flip phone cell phones?)"

Flying machines. Vessles that can reach the depths of the oceans. Trips to the moon. Who'da thunk?

Unless we blow ourselves up first, our species will eventually see all the cool things in Star Trek come to reality. IMO. And, no doubt we will be considered a virus by some of the others who certainly must inhabit our universe.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about them hot green skinned gals?
When are they gonna come to reality, because I'm tired of tricking chicks into sitting still long enuff to hit them up with KryoLac.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6577
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall one episode of the original Star Trek where you could spot a flip clock on a console. It was an analog clock with digits that suddenly flipped over to the next number.

It seemed advanced at the time but in reruns it's laughingly obsolete.

Wiki's Analog clock with digital display shows how it worked.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know where I can go nearby and get a TOS style shirt? I want to go but I want to take some pictures in the captain's chair.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6660
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking forward to seeing the exhibit. It's good fun pop culture; to which some of it has influenced technology today.

I don't think this is part of the exhibit though.

orion

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone know where I can go nearby and get a TOS style shirt? I want to go but I want to take some pictures in the captain's chair.

I thought I read that pictures are not allowed. Hopefully, I am incorrect.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 284
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Orion Slave-girl Crack Ho's....Yeah!!!!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI...the prototype space shuttle was originally called "Constitution" but was changed by popular demand to "Enterprise" as a tribute to Star Trek.

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone been to see this? Is it worthwhile?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.