Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Aquarium: Preliminary opening to the public » Archive through January 30, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Esteban
Username: Esteban

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This hot off the press...

Dear Friends of the Belle Isle Aquarium,

What a change a few months can make!
Things have really started to shift in the Aquarium's favor. The FOBIA president and representatives recently met with the Detroit City Council who took to the proposal of reopening the Aquarium with great enthusiasm. Meetings with the administration are hoped to lead to an accord which will clear the way to re-opening the Aquarium.

FOBIA President Vance Patrick has the following announcement to make to all friends of Belle Isle Aquarium:

The Aquarium is scheduled to be open to the public for the Shiver on The River event February 7. In preparation for this event we are looking for volunteers to help clean the inside 1st floor public area this weekend. I will be at the Aquarium this Saturday 10:30am till 3:30 pm. If you can help please bring a bucket and a mop, paper towels, window cleaner and rags. I would really appreciate a large show for this clean up event. We need to show the City we are always up for the task. I truly look forward to seeing many of our old friends from the early days in the trenches for The Belle Isle Aquarium. Feel free to pass this on.

Thank you
Vance Patrick
586-663-9482

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news, if my job permits, I'll be there to help out.

Otherwise, I'll keep my donations current.

DETROITERS, Lets make sure OUR Aquarium reopens!!!

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

=D

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 639
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be great news indeed. I am forwarding your post to other area organizations.

We will try very hard to be there.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2914
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOOT !

TO ARMS TO ARMS !

People, lets make this thing happen,
and make sure it happens,
and make damn sure it never needs to happen again..

WOOT !

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Esteban
What fantastic news! I had no idea the reopening of the aquarium was even being considered. I will try my very best to be there to help clean. My grandchildren and I were there protesting the day it closed. I am so excited to hear this. This is a breath of fresh air, especially after seeing the front page of the Detroit News. Everyone needs to pitch in and help!
God Bless Detroit!
Johnnie Sue Bridges

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I'm ecstatic about this, I'm still wondering how it's possible considering the city is $300 million in the red.

Esteban

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's becoming possible, because much of the burden will be taken off the back of the City of Detroit by the Friends of Belle Isle Aquarium. Needless to say, it's a gamble which is dependent on that organization's ability to swell the ranks of its patrons and volunteers.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 742
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they replace the fish yet, or is that a work in progress?

Esteban

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strictly speaking, fish never left the Aquarium; the Koy which are placed in the pond outside were kept in the basement tanks during the winter.
Wow! It just occurred to me that - in the strictest sense - the Belle Isle Aquarium is STILL America's oldest operating Aquarium! :-)

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 743
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there you go. Still is! How about that?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, in short, if you want to help, show up THIS weekend, THIS saturday, right, between 10:30a and 3:30p?

Is there anything on Facebook/etc?

Sjmes
Username: Sjmes

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any fliers or info available or maybe ways that people can give more strength to the movement? Maybe by trying to work out donations that could become one year memberships if doors do open for good? My thanks to FOBIA and all of their unknown members for their dedication to this community!!!

Sjmes
Username: Sjmes

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is their site: http://belleisleaquarium.com/
They have a raffle going on to benefit the aquarium on their site. It looks like you could win a Saturn Sky or a Chevy Camaro. Also up for grabs are a stay at the Book Cadillac and Dinner for 4 at the Detroit Yacht Club! I might be a poor college student but I can't turn that down...

Ypsi_len
Username: Ypsi_len

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great, my wife and I will be there to help on Saturday. We also passed the info on the Detroit Derby Girl message board (my wife is a Derby Girl) so hopefully we can round up a few more moppers.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were tons of other fish there, were they too in the basement? This is very exciting to me.

Some good news in the bog of eternal stench, aka: 2008-2009.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there with a mop. Just hope there's heat. Mopping in 15-degree weather doesn't sound pleasant.

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so is it opening up just for the event? or is the aquarium actually reopening?

Esteban

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As best as I can discern, the Detroit Council are giving the Friends of Belle Isle Aquarium the nod and their representatives are now slated to meet with the City Administration. I suspect Aquarium supporters will find a more sympathetic ear than the previous mayor.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just bought my raffle tickets...

my wife will take care of getting memberships tomorrow or monday!

this is GREAT news...

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 435
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a surprise. I thought it was all over. Just want to give my respect and gratitude to those who would not quit in their efforts to bring life back to the aquarium. Best of luck, good people!

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 489
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things are tight, but if it reopens, I'd be willing to buy some coral to help replenish their displays! Good News. Hopefully we can vote in a modest stipend to take some pressure off "Friends", and ensure continued viability.

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Esteban
I just bought my tickets for the drawing in support for the Belle Isle Aquarium to re-open. I want to bring my grandchildren to help clean on Saturday; will there be heat in the building? Thank you again to the Friends of Belle Isle Aquarium for all you are doing to preserve what little our city has left of it's treasures.
God bless
Johnnie Sue Bridges

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a good size Channel Cat Fish; goes by the name of Chuck. This bad boy has outgrown his 29 gallon tank - needs a new home.

Who do I talk to about relocating Chuck to Belle Isle?

Esteban

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there will be heat in the building.
A catfish? Contact the Aquarium curator:
Doug Sweet
sweets4@att.net

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just bought my tickets.

Wish this group the best.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great!I have to explain to my kids every time we go to the conservertory how cool that aquarium was.I am unable to make it on saturday,is there another work session?thanks,Dave

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Esteban...Thanks for the information; Chuck thanks you too.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Direct Link to opening and help date: http://www.belleisleaquarium.c om/events/2009/shiver_announce ment_09.html

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4371
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is very exciting. The aquarium is the type of cultural institution that a major city ought to have, and that a city that is trying to appeal to outsiders as a destination to visit ought to have. As it stands, Belle Isle offers immense benefits to residents and locals who can use it for recreation, but to the outsider visiting for a day, its unique status as a destination is really limited to its fine views and architectural landmarks (and, I guess, the Great Lakes museum). The Aquarium would give it a destination again that people would flock to.