Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » King Kwame's High School « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spirit2028
Username: Spirit2028

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A recent trip to Cass Tech reveals a disaster not unlike Kwame's reign as mayor of the city of Detroit.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMbN2i 47BEY

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many shitty trespassing videos are you going to post?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what happens when school districts know they can get more money from the suckers (taxpayers).

What ever happened to that chick who likes firing grapes at the school board members? If she shows up at the next school board meeting I'll stop at the fruit market.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was also my mother's and my sister's high school, and the high school of any number of important, famous, accomplished, and successful Detroiters and former Detroiters. One of the great city high schools in the country really, and step up out towards college and the middle class for generations of working class Detroit kids. To label it only as "King Kwame's High School" for your juvenile video is to miss the point more than a little bit.

It is a shame what the DPS allowed to happen to this prominent downtown building once they replaced it. Even another vacant lot would be better. Of course, I have grown to expect nothing but the absolute worst from that pathetic crew of self-aggrandizing idiots.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3671
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's up with Cass Tech's new football field?

Are they still barred from actually playing any football on it? lol

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It was also my mother's and my sister's high school, and the high school of any number of important, famous, accomplished, and successful Detroiters and former Detroiters. One of the great city high schools in the country really, and step up out towards college and the middle class for generations of working class Detroit kids. To label it only as "King Kwame's High School" for your juvenile video is to miss the point more than a little bit."

Yeah, but that doesn't get YouTube hits. We need to remember what's important here.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, gotta get them Youtube hits. Because you can then flash them as 'street credz' to all your little white suburbanite jerkoff buddies.

Why don't the homeless guys in Detroit show some balls, and start killing and eating these douchebags when they're on their little 'Urban Explorer' outings?

Detroitchef

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plus, I don't get this idiots metaphor comparing the Old Cass Tech to Kwame's tenure in town. Is he saying somehow that the Mayoral office was left abandoned and given free reign to scrappers and suburban douchebags? Is Kwame supposed to be the douchebag urban explorer who dared tresspass into the ruins of the Mayor's Office? Is Spirit implying he's really KK? I don't get this idiots' thought processes... plus his videos suck. They suck huge donkey balls. It's not even interesting Urban Exploring, it's merely doing what a million other jerkoffs have done before. Why don't you take a kayak through the sewers or something INTERESTING?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3492
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how Kwame said he was head of the debate team at Cass. Check up on that if you want some laughs.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That cheeses me that the books and supplies are just sitting there when I sure could use some of that stuff...

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The narrator in the video also refers to the "Castle"... obviously he doesn't know it's called the GAR Building.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 575
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How original.

You went in to a vacant building in Detroit and videotaped it. No WAY!

I hear there is an abandoned train station and a large car plant vacant in the city too.

You should try to locate them and explore them too. Oh, oh and post a video of it too. That would be awesome.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 772
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legend's in their own minds.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure he doesn't know what the GAR was, so the name would be meaningless to him.

Cloud_wall
Username: Cloud_wall

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This city's biggest problem is apparently trespassing. Why does this stuff so enrage everyone? The video doesn't appear to be groundbreaking, but I've never seen the inside of CT or the view from the roof and I'm mildly interested. Spirit doesn't seem to be claiming that he's a legendary explorer for bringing us the footage.

Also, the vitriol about not knowing the history of a 19th C. lobbying organization is pretty ridiculous. How dare he call that building resembling a castle "the castle"? The GAR building has not been inhabited by the GAR in a very, very long time, and this young person should not be ridiculed for taking a passing interest in its appearance.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 297
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy is 48 years old, according to his Youtube page. Hardly some wide-eyed kid.

And there's this thing called "research." How is it that many on the forum know it as the GAR? Isn't really that hard to find out.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 424
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a silly video. Cass Tech is more than 100 years old, and suddenly it's only "King Kwame's" school? (Also note the alliterative similarities to "King Kong.)

Why not go NEXT DOOR to the new Cass Tech, and ask the staff and administration why so much material was left? Don't tell me that no one will give an interview! I taught at CT for a half decade and know the folks. You WILL get what you need, even if "off camera".

Muckraking only goes so far! We KNOW the problems in the city; how about some solutions?

SE Michigan suburbanite "urban explorers" like this = WEIRD.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to defend the guy in any way, but we (CT students) used it to call it "the castle" back in the 80s. I had to walk by the GAR every day when leaving to catch the bus.

(Message edited by Islandman on February 11, 2009)

Spirit2028

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tough crowd. I hear the message loud and clear "KILL THE MESSENGER". If I had stood out on 2nd Avenue and taken some video of all the broken windows someone might have said that's terrible we need to do something about that. The fact that I took it a step further and showed you the destruction from within means everyone assumes I alone have caused this catastrophe. That couldn't be further from the truth. If someone wants to be pro-active then call the police or the DPS and express your outrage. Call the TV networks, tell them some "suburban douchebag" is in the house !

There were several points that I hoped to make with this video. The 1st was that the scrapping and destruction of this grand high school has accelerated rapidly. There were a lot of people fighting to preserve this building from being torn down but where are they now ? What is the re-use of this building ? Where are the urban planners with their suggestions ? What invariably will happen will be after no one does anything, the building will be totally stripped and everyone will throw up their hands and say "HOW SAD" and we'll put up a parking lot. Interesting enough that is what is needed for this area right now. When a function takes place at the new high school cars are scattered all over.

The 2nd point was that there is a school next door with thousands of students and maybe a 100 or so teachers. You mean to tell me that no one sees anything, no one hears anything, no one says anything ! The fact that some "suburban douchebag" has to drop this sad story on your doorstep is outrageous !!! This is literally happening in real time and no one appears to give a rat's ass. After some homeless person kills the messenger (let's hope) then go out and channel your outrage on securing the building. The entrance I used was easy to spot. It faces the existing parking lot.

The 3rd point and Detroitteacher you get a star for catching this one, was that there are a ton of good supplies that are still left in the building. It's almost like class ended one day and they announced the new school is ready and everyone dropped everything and ran next door. There were all sorts of books, computers, drafting tables and perfectly good teaching supplies throughout the school. Why someone could not have taken inventory and transferred some of these supplies to other schools is beyond me. Again where's the outrage. Oh I get it, after we kill the messenger we'll get right on that. For God's sake there was a story that the national media picked up when 1 school solicited parents for toilet paper. My apologies to anyone that attended the high school. I realize many famous and honorable people went to that school other than Kwame. If I had a choice I would have loved going to school at such a historic building.

As a side note some politically correct people (to a T) would call the castle the "Grand Army of the Republic" building. For my purposes I call it the castle because gosh darn it looks like one. If I have to spell everything out for everyone everytime that would be a little over the top. I could also care less about youtube hits. For those of you who don't know, to post a video on the web you have to create a file on the internet. Youtube is the place where this can be done. Once on youtube, you can then access this file with the URL. Thanks for watching, and go out and be pro-active instead of name calling. I find that extremely juvenile. If I have to pay a trespassing ticket...so be it. It would be worth saving the building if that's what everybody wants to do.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 773
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit2028, I don;t think anyone said you caused the destruction, you are just promoting it.

The whole promotion ties into the Broken Windows Theory.

Now lets sit back and watch the continued destruction.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "The fact that some "suburban douchebag" has to drop this sad story on your doorstep is outrageous !!!"

Nice hubris and self-absorption, but pretty much everyone knew about this long before you discovered Detroit recently. Thanks for delivering yesterday's news today. FYI -There are dozens of videos documenting this, including several that were aired on Fox2 like a year ago or so. Same for all your exploration videos. It's been done to death.

Your overall approach to Detroit is repugnant - you relate your story of filming a party in the State Fair neighgborhood and being chased by partygoers who demanded your tape. They should've beat the living shit out of you. Who are you to film someone's private party, like they're animals in a zoo put on display for your viewing pleasure? It's almost as if you're saying "Hey, look at black people in their natural element." You're like the Ugly Suburbanite, looking at Detroit and its residents as some curiosity and bringing back film footage of these exotic people.

This is why you're getting such an overwhelmingly negative reaction here. You ought to learn a little something about the city before posting your ignorant videos so proudly.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit,

That whole area looked like a war zone when I was going to school there. My mom's car was broken into for conferences, as well as students' cars. There were liquor stores, whores, crack dealers, flop houses, etc. within BLOCKS of our front doors. That's not counting all of the abandoned structures.

All that to say that it has been that way for years, and that this is not enlightening to anyone.

Yes, it is a travesty that a school with so much history is left to decay in this way. Hell, every school deserves better.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 425
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The 2nd point was that there is a school next door with thousands of students and maybe a 100 or so teachers. You mean to tell me that no one sees anything, no one hears anything, no one says anything ! The fact that some "suburban douchebag" has to drop this sad story on your doorstep is outrageous !!!"

No, what's outrageous is your ad hominem attacks against people you didn't even bother to talk to. Heck, you could have even asked ME about the move, since that was my last year @ CT and I was involved. I could have gotten you teachers, students, and maybe even a former (retired) administrator or two to talk to. You could have talked to recent alumni, or the folks over at Preservation Wayne. You have no idea how we felt about 1) the move, 2) the district's role in the move, 3) the directions we were given FOR the move, 3a) what we were told to take, 3b) what WE WERE ORDERED TO LEAVE (oh, unless you think WE SHOULD HAVE STOLEN SUPPLIES!!!), OR 4) current and future status of the old CT site.

You know nothing.

I totally agree with Hockey Player:

"You're like the Ugly Suburbanite, looking at Detroit and its residents as some curiosity and bringing back film footage of these exotic people."

Actually? I say we sell tours to these suburbanites. If the good folks down in Brazil can sell "exotic" tours of the favelas, we ought to sell "the Detroit urban experience" to these oh-so-brave intrepid explorers. Sheesh.

Detroitchef

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still want to see Spirit and his buddies get them some kayaks and hit the sewers. THAT would be a kick ass video. I'd also pay good money to see the party goers beat the crap out of him for his video-trespass. I re-iterate... why don't the homeless in Detroit simply kill and eat these fuckwits when they trespass into abandoned buildings?

Other than that, I agree with the others. Souless, discompassionate and frankly ignorant footage of something that everyone already knows, and nothing but infantile outrage when it's pointed out to the little douchebag. The breathless sense of self-aggrandizing drama that Spirit interjects into his little expeditions is frankly juvenile, been done before and done better... and rapidly getting tiresome.

I feel this sense of indignation from the guy, that NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR HIM.... but as my granny often said "It takes a fool to point out the problems and offer no solutions, and most fools do." Okay, you're a badass scofflaw who is going to go into abandoned buildings and film a bunch of crap, post it on YouTube and... then what? Where's your solutions? Where's your talking to, identifying and chasing down those responsible, where is even an attempt to educate the viewer as to the 'Why' of the situations you 'discover?'

Nowhere. Empty, souless and amateur... describes the videos and their maker.

Spirit2028

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitchef you're a real treat. Why don't you do yourself a favor and lay off the peanut butter sandwiches for a bit. Care to share where you're a chef at, just as a heads up so no one eats there. With that kind of attitude I wouldn't want you preparing my food or anyone elses for that matter. What's your solution for this mess ? I'm very much interested in urban planning and would be all ears for any solutions you might have or are you just some foul-mouthed sob ? Personally as stated above, I think the best use for this property would be a parking lot to serve the existing high school. Not very exciting but I don't see a better use at this time. Did you're granny also share that expression that if you don't have anything nice to say, then it's best to keep you're mouth shut ? Missed that one didn't ya ? Incidently you and Hockey_player can put your panties back on because I have some urban planning videos that will bunch them all up. The 1st will be on the Ambassador Bridge and the 2nd will be on Hockeytown. You tough guys be sure to get back with me after you view them. Thanks for watching.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 334
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

(Also note the alliterative similarities to "King Kong.)

unfortunately it was the Detroit POLICE DEPARTMENT that called him King Silverback...

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 493
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spririt2028, I'm sorry about the bitchiness your video is getting. Personally, though, I would never venture into those buildins, I prefer to admire their beauty them from the outside.

I love how juvenile some posters here can be. I mean, Detroitchef...really...you want to keep Detroit's image going with cannibilistic homeless men? Really?!?! That's really imature to me. Sure we can all put foward to solutions and that's nice and all...but if someone wants to go into an unsafe adandoned building and film, let him do so. His risk. These buildings stand here for nothing...why not have some adventure and go inside these buildings? To some, they're screaming "EXPLORE ME!".

"...your little white suburbanite jerkoff buddies." how mature.

Detroitchef

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, the 'ad hominem' attack... Spirit, usually the last desperate leap of logic since you can't support a single defense of the crap that rolls out of your mouth. If you can't refute the charges against you, attack the person.

I already gave you my solution. Stay in suburbia, stop trespassing and taping yourself on these silly outings, drop the "Big White Daddy Knows Best" attitude, and STFU about how everyone else is just stupid and waiting for the pearls of wisdom from you to come and save the entire city from ourselves. Did you think that NO ONE KNEW that there were supplies left behind in CTHS? Man, someone loves himself in Spirit-land.

Although, I did quite like the bit where I said the Homeless of Detroit should be allowed to kill and eat you if they find you all alone in one of those buildings.

I am pretty much a foul mouthed snob... and I for one think that the CTHS building is so far gone they should make a parking lot out of it, or expand the DPS Herman Breihaupt program into a portion of it. But I knew that a long time ago, and didn't need you and your stupid trip to tell me that.

I notice that you don't say a peep to English... there is someone who could have filled you in on the reality of the CTHS situation, instead of your juvenile and idiotic 'trespass groundbreaking urban journalism' bullshit, how about talking to English and the other CTHS staffers? Nope, you'd rather paint them as 'ignorant savages who are somehow in collusion' with the scrappers and dipshits like yourself. Nice, typical racist attitude.

I work for one of the 'big name' guys at the MGM. Guess which one and I'll buy you dinner, numbnutz. BUT, you only get one guess. If someone like you thinks that my opinion of crap like your infantile videos in any way relates to how I do mmy job... I want some of what ya'all are smoking!

Hey Lt Dave, hows the DPS liking the new Chief? I didn't see them shooting EBC's pic down like they did Jerry Oliver's!

Spirit2028

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They sold a t-shirt in Greektown awhile back. It had a picture of a revolver with the caption reading something like "Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten". Somehow I can picture you sporting a shirt like that.

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nelson says HA HA!

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 494
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitchef, just remember being a foul mouthed snob never gets anyone anywhere in life, just ask Monica Conyers, the laughing stock of Metro Detroit. Your foul language, doesn't make me laugh but pity you because that kind of language is never acceptable and down right immature and the sign of poor intellect.

"Stay in suburbia"- how devisive can you get?

Crosswordgirl
Username: Crosswordgirl

Post Number: 469
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =EIpKKSEQ2qI

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

love the "hot lunch jam"

Cloud_wall

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty sure Spirit omitted an "l" and not an "n" when he called Chef a "foul-mouthed sob." Chef came up with "snob," but I don't think anyone else would make that mistake. A snob, though usually faking his superiority, should be able to pull off the sham to at least some extent before being titled a snob. Not so here.

Cloud_wall

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty sure Spirit omitted an "l" and not an "n" when he called Chef a "foul-mouthed sob." Chef came up with "snob," but I don't think anyone else would make that mistake. A snob, though usually faking his superiority, should be able to pull off the sham to at least some extent before being titled a snob. Not so here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.