Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Forest Arms « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My roommate came home from school yesterday saying that there were many rumors going around Wayne State that the Forest Arms Apartments had been purchased and that they will be renovating them soon.

Unfortunately that is all the information I could get out of him. Any validity to these rumors?

(Message edited by izzyindetroit on February 12, 2009)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3498
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More like knocking them down and starting over I bet

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will shit a brick if this is true. Im hoping that brick comes, I just dont see it happening...

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rumor I heard is that they are going to preserve the facade and rebuild, but tear down the interior structure. I have nothing to back that up though, just a rumor.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think these rebuild/renovation rumors have been floating around since just a month or two after the fire. if that is actually a plan in the works, i'd be willing to bet the credit crisis probably hasn't helped it along

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 492
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived there, many decades ago. A South End article recently had a 9 million dollar estimate for renovation costs.
It was a nice building. Sad to see it sit, broken, more than a year after the fire.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 709
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll happen. No one would let this gem fall to the ground. It may have to sit vacant for a while, and weather this economic crisis, but word on the street is that there are many parties eager to rehab this building because of its historic integrity, proximity to campus, and active location. Gutting, saving the facade, and rebuilding the insides seems the best option at this point.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i heard today that a prominent local business-owner is buying it to renovate...

does anyone have more info?

yes!!!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do, but am not at liberty to say. This is really really good.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That location is too prime. Someone will step up with funds. Units won't be as cheap as they were, but people are paying relatively high dollar next door at the ABC for rundown apartments. New ones will capture the small niche market of students with larger housing budgets. This is a good opportunity for someone with capital and some determination.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got confirmation that WSU overpaid for the building to spare it from demolition and will be restoring it from the bottom up. Source cannot be revealed, but it was a preservation official whom I trust. This is great news. I was worried with the talk of the demo but saving the facade. Then again, we'll see what happens once they get in there and see if it can be saved after a year and a half of rain and snow - and the fire, of course.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, I also was told to look for a roof to be put on it once the snow goes bye-bye.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 659
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohh you are completely correct about ABC being run down i lived there for 2 years

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 481
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk: One of the companies I work for put the new windows in Forest Arms about a year before the fire. We would like to know who to contact regarding replacement when they decide to rebuild it. If you have a contact person, would you please e-mail me at corneroffice2 at aol dot com. Thanks!

Eastdetroit224
Username: Eastdetroit224

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I toured the building today with the new owner, I can tell you one thing, what was paid for the building was not over priced at all. This building is a gem. I would say that it is the most sound building I have ever seen, even in the condition it is in. The place will surely be a gem in the heart of Detroit

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 749
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they ever get the cat out of there?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great to hear, Eastdetroit!
Blueidone: Contact WSU student housing.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroitmidtown.com/05/d evelop_projects_medical.php?ms ub=5

UCCA, not WSU, sorry.

"Forest Art Complex
George N'Namdi is renovating two historic buildings on Forest for galleries, a bookstore and cafe. The estimated cost of the project is $2 million."

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps I missed something? Will the Forest Art Complex have anything to do with the Forest Arms Apts?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 513
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't believe it did. The Forest Art Complex I believ will be near the DMC. N'Namdi helped get the Garfield renovated and tought that he had sort of "staked his claim" to that small area near MOCAD some time ago.

A good friend's grandmother's friend's son.. ( this isn't a joke) owned Forest Arms. last I had heard, last summer, he was battling the insurance company who claimed that arson couldn't be proven and was trying to sell the building in the mean time. Perhaps I'll dig a little in the coming weeks to see if I can figure out who the building was sold to.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 514
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ModelD
Forest Arms Apartments to get new lease on life: Developer buys Midtown property
http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/forestarms17909.a spx

Bobl

Post Number: 505
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Scott Lowell and Detroit Investment Fund well. I love that building. Lived there late 60s, and worked as a maintenance person briefly.
At that time, there were several tenants on the upper floor who had lived there for years, even decades.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The building will receive a new roof, an improved facade and solar hot water panels."

An improved facade? What's that mean?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 787
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is pretty obvious what they mean.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like the rumors from way back when held up after all. good news. I'm not bitching here, i realize it takes enormous effort to get through the red tape and secure funding on this stuff, but its too bad construction can't start tomorrow

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4486
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good! Please fix the Forest Arms Apts. Student Housing is in high demand!

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're a Crain's subscriber, the full story from Monday:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20090215/SUB01/30215995 4/1069

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 661
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

could you copy and paste some text of the article for those of us who arent subscribers?

Bobl

Post Number: 512
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Model D:

Detroit Development News
February 17, 2009
Forest Arms Apartments to get new lease on life: Developer buys Midtown property
After a tragic fire decimated the Forest Arms Apartments last year, one could be forgiven for assuming that its future held nothing but a wrecking ball. Luckily, Midtown developer Scott Lowell has purchased the building and plans to completely rehab it.

The five-story building, located at Second and Forest, has 74 small residential units, all one-bedrooms and studios. "There's a market for that," says Lowell.

He should know, as he has already tackled the Blackstone Apartments and is wrapping up work on the Beethoven, which should see tenants this spring.

Lowell is partnering with the University Cultural Center Association and Corey Leon on the project. He says an "optimistic" estimate on construction is two years. The building will receive a new roof, an improved facade and solar hot water panels. The two walk-down spaces that previously housed Peoples Records and Amsterdam Espresso will remain commercial.

The Detroit Investment Fund is involved in the project, and historic and brownfield tax credits will be pursued.

Source: Scott Lowell and architect Mike McClear
Writer: Kelli B. Kavanaugh

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A large security gate and fence have gone up in the front of the property. I'm assuming from the way this gate is position that the front yard wall is going to be removed to bring in construction equipment. Should this new roof have been put on a year ago? I'm also a little confused that in the wake of Ilitch clear cutting perfectly sound buildings from the urban fabric that this building is being restored(not that I don't want it saved, it just seems like the left hand is doing something totally opposite from the right hand).

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 742
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you know Scott Lowell, you'll realize he's a helluva lot different than Mike Illitch.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gonna have to read up on Scott Lowell, the bad are grossly over publized.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.