Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Hockey players discover body frozen in ice » Archive through February 01, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"14th Street Roosevelt Warehouse"

Anyone know the history of this place?
Was in originally built by the DPS?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk: Here's a past DYes thread on the subject:

DPS Book Depository
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/95632.html?1173379 296

And links to photos taken by those brave enough to enter the building....we never would...just too creepy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/n ofunk/sets/72157605201520366/c omments/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j essespeelman/sets/721576068888 86486/

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, great info.
I didn't know that it was Albert Kahn building.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 309
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser muses:
quote:

That wasnt "reporting" btw. That was what we call in the industry "creating news."

Well then, excuuuse we unaware information consumers who aren't in The Industry (or left it in '03, in my case).

Good thing we have Mau-Mauser and Wood, juris doctor, to set us straight 'bout the diff. 'tween creating vs. reporting news.

Otherwise, a careless person could slip (yes, on the ice) and mistake a real-life bit of drama -- such as a frozen corpse near indoor shacks where homeless men pass their time -- as something worth reporting rather than as something an over-reaching journalist created to make himself seem heroic or as a showcase for gonzo writing.

To be clear:
* Yes, the florid Charlie LeDuff doesn't wield words as subtly as Elmore Leonard.
* Sure, this is totally cheesy and made my eyes roll, too: "The life and sad end of Johnnie Redding reminds us that even the dirtiest life has value. There are many Johnnies out there: Victor, Kenneth, Terrence your loved ones are asking about you."
* But this, friends, is worthwhile reporting of a story-within-a-story: Some shelters in the city provide only a chair. The chair is yours as long as you sit in it. Once you leave, the chair is reassigned.

Show of hands: Who knew that?

Carnac the Magnificant sees, oh, perhaps a dozen or so social work pros, agency folks and our DPD friends.

Me, I'm with Gnome on the show-us-or-sit-down challenge . . .

. . . and with 1KielsonDrive on a solid observation:
quote:

Most of the best writers, novelists, authors in the world couldn't have dreamed this scenario up. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Quibble about word choices all you want. But "creating news"? Nuh-uh.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5200
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Show of hands: Who knew that?

The lack of adequate shelter space is pretty well known, as is the shortage of funding for food pantries and other such services.

Dshanks
Username: Dshanks

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is everyone getting their panties in a wad about the police not finding the body? It wasn't like the guy was going anywhere soon. That block of ice will be there until April.

Also, Mauser doesn't need to prove his worth to anyone. Detroitfunk is an example of journalism excellence and everyone knows it.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fair point, Lilpup.

But though even I was aware of that situation, I now have a more vivid, more specific image of what it means for individuals coping day-to-day . . . thanks to this from Charlie LeDuff:
quote:

Some shelters in the city provide only a chair. The chair is yours as long as you sit in it. Once you leave, the chair is reassigned.

A chair, not a bed.

See, for me at least, knowing that shelters are full isn't the same as also knowing about "musical chairs," as one shack-dweller put it in The News' original article Thursday. Same situation, reported memorably. Stickier.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3600
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why is everyone getting their panties in a wad about the police not finding the body? It wasn't like the guy was going anywhere soon.

In case of a possible murder, the longer it takes to show up on the scene, the longer it takes to solve the case.

Detroit -

quote:

It works in the shadows, handling drug-related homicides and crime organizations. The Cold Case squad handles unsolved murders. There are more than 19,000 unsolved cases in the vaults, dating to 1917.

http://www.dartcenter.org/dart award/2005/winner/08.html

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5913
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's nice to see reporters for Detroit newspapers are finally finding out about the homeless and the condition of the assorted shelters. Congratulations, RC, for finding out what an awful lot of people already know.

And what are you going to do with this knowledge, besides bestowing laurels on the estimable Mr. LeDuhh? Are you going to volunteer? Write a check? Join the van brigade and hand out blankets tonight?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool video Spirit2028

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroitfunk is an example of journalism excellence and everyone knows it.

Is that the same DetroitFunk that just removed his photos of the urbex hockey league? Out of fear or shame?

The same guy that glorifies the City's destruction and criminal use of spray paint? The same guy who treas passes into locked buildings thereby allowing vagrants to follow in close behind.

You're right, he doesn't have to prove anything,... its already been proven.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2933
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So can we all agree now that the real villain in this story is not Charlie, nor Matty, nor the skaters, nor the indifferent homeless, nor the indifferent residents of the fine City of Detroit - it is the insipid "dETROITfUNK" website.

And THAT has been Detroits REAL problem this whole time. Just ask Gnome.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2934
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And what are you going to do with this knowledge, besides bestowing laurels on the estimable Mr. LeDuhh? Are you going to volunteer? Write a check? Join the van brigade and hand out blankets tonight?"

ORF speaks the truth. thinkaboutit. Get of your ass and walk away from your precious forum blather for a minute and go do something about it.

OR

Hang here and have more fun with mauser, the human piƱata. Thats usually the best way to get er done, so...

OLE !

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2298
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's your best writing example? The best you can do?

I was just asking you to show your skills and this is the result? Name calling? ha

Heck, Mauser, I thought you'd be holed up and crafting the perfect article. I'm interested in what is the correct way to Mauserize a news report. Ya know, you can't Textron it with an all important drop shaddow. Is that holding you up?

Mauser765

Post Number: 2935
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im a photographer. You want me to take a picture of it ?

Dude, you didnt get the updated fact sheet.

Stikine
Username: Stikine

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is ridiculous to read the posts attacking the messenger of a well-written piece of news.
News comes to us in a variety of ways, and these ways change with us.

So, you do not like the way the story is written? Don't read it! It seems ridiculous to me to attack LeDuff when he is reporting on what is going on in this city, the people in this city in a new and creative way.

The frozen man story needed to be on the front page,...this is our city! Shit happens like this and we need to get better as a city.

Dshanks
Username: Dshanks

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for spirited discussion, but I thought personal attacks were forboden territory here.

Just asking.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Stikine. Clear-eyed debut post. Ridiculous, indeed.

Also enjoyed earlier riff about "your precious forum blather . . ."

Now that's a truly rich dollop of ironic humor to sweeten and enliven our spirited discussion.

H.L. Mencken, Will Rogers, Jackie Mason, Don Rickles, Kathy Griffin, Sarah Silverman, D. L. Hughley, Sarah Bernhardt -- they all got nothin' on a few of our masters, not even close.

The self-parodists perform here regularly, Stikine, so enjoy the rest of the weekend show. It's worth every bit what we paid to get in.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3606
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

H.L. Mencken, Will Rogers, Jackie Mason, Don Rickles, Kathy Griffin, Sarah Silverman, D. L. Hughley, Sarah Bernhardt -- they all got nothin' on a few of our masters, not even close.

Quite a rogues gallery, I could add a few forum posters here, but will hold for now.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2936
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm....

I would pick, let's see...

If I were going to pick somebody that might be Charlie in the crowd, Id pick "Realitycheck."

But realitycheck is fairly well spoken - so maybe a bad guess. Honestly, I would hope mr Leduff had better things to do than to ever spend time here. Forums are havens for office productivity bandits, and I dont see Charlie as one of those.

And I dont hate the guys work or anything, its just his style of writing is cheesy to me.

nutria-furcap-atcha !

Realitycheck

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser and RealityCheck find common ground:

1. "realitycheck is fairly well spoken" [Thanks!]

2. "his [LeDuff's] style of writing is cheesy to me." [Me too, at times.]

3. Forums are havens for office productivity bandits [Ouch, guilty . . . and worse yet, robbing myself at home office.]

When Lowell lifted the rope for me 312 posts ago in Aug. '04, Charlie was in Year Nine of his 12-year NYTimes gig. So yeah, bad guess.

And hey, while we're passing the pipe, get a load of this from Charlie's Wikipedia article:
quote:

LeDuff's writing influences include Hop On Pop, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Grapes of Wrath, Treasure Island, Mickey Spillane, Raymond Carver, Joseph Mitchell, Ernest Hemingway, Dorothy Parker, and Raymond Chandler.

Among writers in the newspaper business who influenced him, LeDuff lists Mike Royko, Jimmy Breslin, and Pete Hamill.

Context that 'splains things a bit. Some cheeseballs among his models. (Plus some admirable legends also on my own shelves.)

Now let's go see if we can show those Palestinians and Israelis how to take a step closer, shall we, Mauser?

(Message edited by RealityCheck on January 31, 2009)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3618
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765 - "Office productivity bandits", where have I seen them before. :-)

Mauser765

Post Number: 2937
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone remember the Kennys Chicken episode of Seinfeld with the rat fur hat ? Thats what I keep thinking of when I see that clip of Charlie they keep running.

the DPD firing back on tonights news. saying they did a search and didnt find Johnny.

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two things about this story amuse me:

1. That the Detroit Police Department would not only think it's okay that they did a piss-poor job, but actually BRAG about it.

2. That the Free Press would take what the DPD says at face value and run with it in their effort to discredit their competitor. In any other instance, the Freep reporters would be skeptical of any explanation the Detroit Police gave when something embarassing to the department surfaced.

And if LeDuff was guilty of "massaging" certain things in order to tell a better story, so was the Free Press in its counter-stories. By stating that police responded to the 911 call, they're shooting down a straw man, since the original story never said the cops didn't respond.

I, personally, thought the story could've/should've been handled a bit differently. If I were writing it, I would've focused more on the issues this dead body symbolizes, rather than making myself as the writer the focus of the story. I think that's why Charlie LeDuff is being criticized so vehemently.

But it's no huge deal IMO -- certainly not bad enough to warrant some of the nasty posts in this thread.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4058
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we stop this shit, already? You're just trolling, now, Mauser. You've made whatever point you wanted to make long time ago; now, move on, and stop the shit-stirring, already.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
A video clip of the 14th Street Roosevelt Warehouse and the hockey rink in the basement. www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5PAq4 kDSj4&feature=channel_page

yep, sealed up real tight!

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 541
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit, thanks for making and posting the video -- very informative.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny,you would think from all the coverage they would try to secure it.They must have called in the work crews just for the news!

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Murders...Muggings...Carjackin gs? Commonplace! This is a one of those "Man Bites Dog" bits of sensasionalism. If one wants to garner futher interest, compare the frozen body recovered in the ice in an abandoned warehouse to the 4000 yr. old Stone Age Man recovered in the Austrian Alps a few years back. Hey, kids. Detroit's own "Ootzi, the Ice-Man!"

Mauser765

Post Number: 2939
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine - if that is your video, great work.

Now please explain to everybody your impression of how remote the location of the shaft with the body in it is, compared to where the hockey was being played.

Also please tell us what you think about trying to find a body in that warehouse.

I say again, WAREHOUSE.

Like finding a needle in a stack of needles. You could misplace a bus in that place. And there could be a hundred dead people in that basement under that ice and nobody would ever know. Did you see how unbelievably deep it is ?

I think the story is a weird story, but simply an unfortunate story. A guy who was addicted to smoking crack in that abandoned building was later found dead in that same building. People who shouldnt be in this building that shouldnt be open found him.

But not the negligent billionaire, nor the guy who found the body, nor the police caused the dead body to be dead. It would have been dead someplace, in whatever abandoned building. It is the result of a larger societal problem that is not related to the idiosyncratic details of this odd sequence of events.

But geez, close the building and have it demoed asap at least.