Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Hockey players discover body frozen in ice » Archive through February 13, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4066
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an old (2004) article done on the building by the MetroTimes:

quote:

Tome tomb

By Curt Guyette

The old Roosevelt Warehouse on the edge of Corktown has the aura of a graveyard. It’s as if this is the place where knowledge went to die.

Located at 2025 14th St., it sits in the shadow of the hulking Michigan Central Station. Once owned by Detroit Public Schools, the four-story structure was sold “as is” after a fire swept through part of the building in the late 1980s.

It’s now owned by the Detroit International Bridge Co., which also includes the long-vacant train station in its holdings. According to the city’s Buildings & Safety Engineering Department, the Roosevelt has been idling on the list of structures to be demolished since 1997. A permit to tear the place down was obtained in 2001, but, obviously, the wrecking ball hasn’t swung yet.

It’s impossible to tell how much damage was caused by the original blaze, and how much has occurred in the years since. What’s astounding, after years of scavenging and decay, with water pouring in through a massive hole in the roof, is how much material remains.

Textbooks dating from the mid-’80s are piled in high mounds. The entire curriculum is covered: English, science, math, history. There is something forlorn about seeing so many texts abandoned to rot.

And it’s not just books. Art supplies are in abundance. Watercolor sets and bottles of tempera paints, chalk and crayons and markers and bottles of powdered paint — all can be found scattered across the floors of the warehouse, much of it still sitting in boxes never opened.

There’s lab equipment as well. White plastic bottles containing chemicals like magnesium chloride and oxalic acid and sodium borate stand mute sentry on steel shelves, untouched for more than two decades. Thousands of glass microscope slides are strewn across the floor. There are even small, slender brushes for cleaning test tubes.

There are world maps and cassette tapes and record albums, drinking straws and soap dispensers and bug sprayers. Around every corner comes some new oddity, like the pile of collapsed footballs, puckered like raisins, or huge hand-washing basins that are at least five feet in diameter.

Although abandoned, the Roosevelt is not unoccupied. One of the residents, a homeless vet, took us on a tour. Visitors are fairly frequent, he says. Kids coming in from the suburbs looking for adventure crawl through a hole in the fence that is supposed to block access.

“I’ve been getting the education I never got in school,” the man says, laughing, as he lifts a geometry text from the mountain of books.

Send comments to cguyette@metrotimes.com.

This story has been written many, many times before, it seems.

Hmmm...I wonder what (who) got in the way of this being brought down...?

(Message edited by lmichigan on February 01, 2009)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Like finding a needle in a stack of needles. You could misplace a bus in that place. And there could be a hundred dead people in that basement under that ice and nobody would ever know. Did you see how unbelievably deep it is ?"

Of course it was going to be difficult for the police if no one called LeDuff so he could either give or show the exact location of the body to the police. A simple phone call would have made an extremely difficult task rather easy.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2941
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh ?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gravitymachine - if that is your video, great work.

Now please explain to everybody your impression of how remote the location of the shaft with the body in it is, compared to where the hockey was being played.

it's not my video, i wasn't the person who originally posted it, did you not notice the "quote" tags in my above post?

(Message edited by gravitymachine on February 01, 2009)

Mauser765

Post Number: 2943
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

okay then, everybody else just look at the video and nevermind dudes impressions.

the two areas are remote from one another.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 316
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comes now David, blogging tartly at The Incorrigible City, who accuses unnamed posters on this thread of being in a "permanent state of denial."

Excerpts from his Feb. 1 post:
quote:

On the day that Charlie's story about the dead guy sticking out of the ice in Matty Moroun's warehouse ran in the News last week, you could log on to a certain prominent local message board and find yourself embroiled in a good, old-fashioned tempest in a teapot. It was a big 'un . . .

How shall we count the ways that all these critics, mostly of them criticizing from armchairs in places that are not Detroit, were outraged. Oh, hell, let's not. It gets tedious, hearing the same complaints over and over again.

Wait, let's do, for the record: The reporter's a hack. My dog could have written this. How is this news. This happens everywhere - even in the suburbs. The reporter is a lying liar who doesn't know anything and we do.

. . . In their minds, Charlie's piece should have alerted readership that this dead body in this abandoned building that had been frozen in ice there for weeks or whatever was just steps from Detroit's coolest new coffee bar. Would that have made everyone happy?

. . . It may be time to stop criticizing the press and start seeing how perhaps the permanent state of denial that people move into in order to cope with the madness may be clouding your judgment.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9300
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox 2 reporting this morning that the man doesn't appear to have been murdered, but instead may have died while scrapping.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9301
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090203/M ETRO/902030357/1409/METRO

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lessenberry has one worth reading in the Metro Times today (here), and I don't say that often.

It's a reflective, personal, clear-eyed essay on Johnnie Redding's high-profile death . . . with links connecting him, in effect, to Jack and deposed Merrill Lynch chairman John Thain.
quote:

What appalled me about this story was the public reaction. Most of the discussion I heard involved people complaining about "that picture" . . .

Running that picture was a public service, and the newspaper should get some kind of an award for it. This is reality, people; time to wake up and smell your society rotting. We've been living, most of us, in a world that has allowed us to mostly insulate ourselves from reality.

Link again to full column.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free Press blogger "O" tries to hint that LeDuff massaged the facts on the Iceman piece. There are 911 calls at the bottom of the article. It takes awhile to listen to all of them, but it seems that there was a keystone cops type of miscommunication between the 911 Operators and Police Dispatch.

LeDuff gave exact directions to the building and directions on how to find the body. By the time the Report got to the cops on the street, the information got bent all out of whack. The cops first went to the Roosevelt Hotel; that dump just south of the Mercury Coffee Bar.

With cops on the scene, Dispatch even calls Leduff for better directions. They still couldn't find the Iceman, yet, don't call him again for specific details.

The surprising thing about the phone calls, seems the 911 people and the Dispatch people have never heard of the Book Depository Building or the Roosevelt Warehouse. They seem genuinely confused, or unsure, about the location.

You can draw you own conclusions, but sounds like the 911 people don't know how to take a report, or how to correctly complete fill out an incident report. Big shock, 911 is buffoonville.
Freep link with 911 calls

The thrust of the "O" interview is "we tried real hard to find the guy" oblivious to the fact that the phone calls reveal 911/Dispatch to be incompetents.

It must be frustating for the street cops to be on the receiving end of such buffoonary. Everyday they must have to deal with 911 reports that are a jumbled mess of bad information.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They seem genuinely confused, or unsure, about the location.

if that is truely the case, someone please forward this link to 911 dispatch
http://maps.google.com/maps

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted some photos I took of the building to the new City Bird blog:

http://citybirddetroit.blogspo t.com/

I thought it relevant. The 3rd floor is actually beautiful.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4967
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Le Duff comes across as a bit of a buffoon himself in those tapes, or maybe douchebag is the right word. "This guy's a popsicle". "Better bring a jackhammer." He sounds like a character in an old movie.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading both the LeDuff and Free Press stories and listening to the tapes, you can't help but conclude that the response from 911, DPD, and EMS was anything but indifferent, which was the whole point of the story.

*911 called back until it got the location right.
*At least two cop cars, and maybe a third -- plus an EMS unit -- responded promptly to what they thought was the scene and started looking. That was the old hotel on 14th. When they didn't find anything, they called back, and 911 directed them down the street to the schools' building. They then searched every floor and the roof. It was getting dark and it's a big, dangerous building...they failed to find two legs sticking out of the ice.
*It's still unclear where LeDuff was, and if he did return to the scene, why he didn't see the vehicles, and why he didn't call 911 from the building in the first place.
*In his first story, he quotes the male 911 operator as saying, "That's what we do," after "this reporter" suggested, "Bring a jack hammer." That's an interesting exchange, but it's not how the conversation took place.

According to the tape, the operator says "that's what we do" after LeDuff offers an apology for all the work the guy is doing as he tries to locate the building. Oh well. Are journalists supposed to relay what people say in precise order, or can they mix and match?

*Even without the mischaracterization of the public safety response and the wobbly quotations, the story is a great one and it does say a lot about Detroit in 2009.

Gnome

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're mostly spot on MW. I don't see Police indifference in how this all came together, just incompetence.

Now, I don't work for Otis Elevator but I do know that you don't find a a bumsicle that is in the bottom on an elevator shaft by looking on the roof. The roof? Where is the bottom of an elevator shaft?

The roof or the basement? ah...

It seems embarrassing that the Sargent interviewed would try to show how much the cops cared, how hard they worked, by saying they looked on the roof. Twice.

The first 911 operator was clearly told where the body was located and how to get in. Through the loading dock. Why didn't that info get to the street cops? Incompetence.

The tapes also show the confusion about the general location. When the cops where searching the Roosevelt Hotel, Dispatch called LeDuff who again told them the location of the building.

When the cops didn't find the Iceman, did they call LeDuff again for exact directions? Why not? They knew his phone. Why didn't they call? Incompetence.

The next day, during the daylight when searching would be easier did anyone call LeDuff? Doesn't sound like it from the tapes.

Now, does LeDuff have a flair for the dramatic? Yep, that's why we're discussing this bumsicle and not the dozen others that will soon be stinking up crackhouses and weedy lots across the urban landscape.

LeDuff did more than those other citizens. Did more to bring to focus the strange netherworld of Crackville's Urbex Hockey League. More focus to the plight of those who have to decide between sitting up in a chair or freezing to death.

Indifference? not really. Incompetence certainly. The biggest problem in all of this is that the cops did the best job they could.

That is the problem.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2962
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"LeDuff did more than those other citizens."

yeah, and he got paid.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2963
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Even without the mischaracterization of the public safety response and the wobbly quotations, the story is a great one"

I think this unintentionally summarizes the 'quality' of that article.

Gnome

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

yeah, and he got paid.

See, Mauser in contrast to you, most people get paid for their talent. You on the other hand exhibit no talent which is pay worthy.

Still waiting on your redux Mauser. Nothing quite like the quality snapshots you take to glorify the wanton defacement of our collective landscape.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2965
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my what now ?

Mauser765

Post Number: 2966
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyway - those quotes alone sort of define what type of story this all was. lets call it, "well crafted".

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just came across this, didn't see a post for it

Warehouse owner says trespassers to blame for frozen corpse

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090212/M ETRO/902120481

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A group of those explorers allegedly gathered in the former warehouse to play hockey. At least one of them was aware of Redding's body but did not call authorities to report the situation."

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4116
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"It's terrible. Just terrible what happened. People keep breaking into my buildings no matter what we do," said Manuel "Matty" Moroun

"People ask why don't I just tear down those buildings," Moroun said. "Do you really want me to tear them down? What can I do?

"I'm not a magician."

WOW! This man has the biggest balls in the State of Michigan. He is never challenged, and will never been challenged until he dies, it seems. He obviously can say and do whatever he wants without impugnity.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2977
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

abandoned buildings are the fault of the owner.

period.

blaming explorers or homeless is like complaining about the flies that land on the turd, rather than complaining about the dog that actually laid the turd.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4117
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On those above Detroit News quotes, alone, Manny could win "Michigan Douchebag of the Year" for the next decade running.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the buildings just across 14th have for the last year + since i've lived in the area seem to have somehow escaped the scurge of the tresspassing homeless because they are properly secured you old fuck. you'd think a billionaire could afford a couple more sheets of plywood

and his claim that he has security driving around these properties is absolutely, completely, 100%, unmittigated bullshit!

also since the frozen man story ran (and well before) there is still a gaping hole in the backside of the MCS that you could drive a truck through.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As many tines as I've been buy that building,I've never seen a guard.Manny do as little as the city will let him get away with.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I was coming home from work last week (down 14th) a little after dark, and saw a private security truck driving slowly down the street. They were shining a car-mounted spotlight on the schools building.

I was kinda shocked.

Oh, and just last Saturday afternoon, I saw four twenty-somethings park on 17th and walk right into the MCS through the gaping hole Gravity mentioned above. In the middle of the day. I drove right by them while they were jumping up onto the ledge to go through the hole, and they were completely unfazed.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 563
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"bumsicle"

It was a human life lost.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but if Manny wantd to build a bridge at MCS (not possible I know, but hypothetically) then you'd have a small army of his private security goons, just like at Riverside Park.

Hey, why don't we point Mr Urban Explorer over to Riverside, and let Manny's Gestapo rid us of the annoyance?