Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » The Skillman Foundation « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 331
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pontiac School Board is interviewing DeAngelo Alexander, program officer of The Skillman Foundation, for the position of Pontiac School Superintendent. I've researched the Skillman Foundation and Mr. Alexander and everything seems good. I notice that The Skillman Foundation does alot of work in Detroit neighborhoods and schools. This is the basic overiew i have of the organization.

Created in 1960, The Skillman Foundation is a private grantmaking foundation that is a charitable, tax-exempt organization. Like most private foundations, Skillman does not raise money but uses its resources to support 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations. The chief aim of the Foundation's three programs is to help develop good schools and good neighborhoods for children. The Good Schools and Good Neighborhoods programs are the primary focus of the Foundation's grantmaking. The Good Opportunities program is set up to support the Foundation's primary work and to invest in special opportunities that can accomplish significant results for children. Though we make grants throughout Metropolitan Detroit, the bulk of our grant dollars are spent in six Detroit neighborhoods -- Brightmoor, Cody/Rouge, the Northend, Osborn, and Southwest Detroit (Vernor neighborhood and Chadsey/Condon neighborhood), and on innovative and successful schools throughout the city of Detroit. http://www.skillman.org/

Does anyone have other information or an opinion to add? Thank You

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My opinion is that the Skillman Foundation is made up of some very nice people who have no idea what they're doing.

I used to be president of a community organization in one of their targeted neighborhoods. Every time I approached them about funding one of the things that we do, their reaction was always that it wasn't something that they do.

They only thing they were willing to fund were neighborhood clean-ups, which is the one thing that I never had any trouble raising money for. Even then, they made you jump through so many hoops - and their process took so long - that it simply wasn't worth it.

Dealing with them is simply a waste of time.

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seemed for a while that everyone organization I knew was getting mad bucks from Skillman. They give pretty large grants to DPS schools...size based on how well the schools are doing. So people were able to get a medium sized grant one year and if the school improved were able to get a bigger grant next year.

I have hear that they are really bad about funding salaries/stipends and other staffing costs, which kind of annoys me. But I also know that they need to do something to weed out the crooked non-profits run by wives and friends of well-connected people.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work in the nonprofit sector and can say that Skillman funds have helped countless projects around town over the past few decades. There is some animosity towards them these days, since they began an effort to target six city neighborhoods a few years back. They quietly admit that they aren't getting the results they want from the effort, but its early in their ten year plan and they hope to make a few great things happen between now and whenever its slated to end.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They shut the door on me quick. They don't have anything for my neighborhood at this time.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 268
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About five years ago, I applied for a Skillman grant for a project involving special education students at my school, which is in Macomb County. I did all the background research (probably 100 hours worth), filled out the multi-page forms, and submitted the application. After several weeks, I telephoned Skillman to inquire about the status of the application. Only then was I told that Skillman doesn't fund educational programs outside the City of Detroit. Neither their website nor any of the printed material I received from them mentioned that fact. Thanks for letting me go to all that trouble for nothing!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6151
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIRC, when Channel 56 PBS moved out to Wixom, they lost funding not only from Skillman, but also Merrill-Palmer and Hudson-Webber Foundations.... they should have thought of that before they left the city...

The few tidbits I know about Skillman is that the founder and his widow managed to make make some wise investments, and the foundation they founded did likewise... so that Skillman has something like a $1/2 billion endowment (not sure of that since the Wall Street free-fall).

The other item I remember is that Skillman has been a generous benefactor to the restoration of the Detroit Opera House (former decrepit Capitol Theatre).

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is some animosity towards them these days, since they began an effort to target six city neighborhoods a few years back. They quietly admit that they aren't getting the results they want from the effort, but its early in their ten year plan...

I wouldn't call it "early". They are in year 3 of a 10 year plan.

I agree, however, that they aren't getting much in the way of results.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious if there is more of an update on where they are in their 10 year plan. I was a neighborhood facilitator for them before I left Detroit. I still know a few people involved. I'll see what I can find out.

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my grant for the upcoming Cody/Rouge 1st Ever SnowBlast Winter Festival & Community Resource Fair on Saturday, February 28, 2009 located at the newly Don Bosco Hall- St. Suzanne Multi-Services Community Center funded in part by Kellogg and the Skillman Foundation.

Our neighborhood did not have a community center for all residents and ages and we are very excited.

If you have a resource you would like to share at the event or to enter the chili cook-off please contact codyrougewinterfesitval@yahoo. com
or visit us at www.freewebs.com/codyrougewint erfestival

Skillman works with groups that our developing and empowering youth. Write a grant that includes youth involvement or leadership and you are on your way. They will work with you until your grant is approved in their targeted neighborhoods within the city of detroit.

Cub

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again "targeted neighborhoods".

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next Detroit have targeted neighborhoods under the city's revitalization plan and it did not include skillman targeted neighborhoods except for brightmoor. Cub try Kiwanis1 Detroit and Detroit Urban League for mini-grants.

Cub

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Topflight. Skillman also targets the Osborn community, also a Next Detroit target neighborhood just north of me.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's lots of opportunities for community organizations like yours to get grants, unfortunately most if not all grantmakers require that a 501(c)3 designation from the IRS be obtained before any serious grant consideration.

Competition is high as well. A thought out charitable purpose couldn't hurt, project that benefits the served population.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 482
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

501(c)3 application is all filled out and ready to submit. Unfortunately there is a large filing fee of $750. We have not been able to raise the total amount yet. As soon as we do, we will submit for approval and pray very hard that we get it in a hurry!

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 397
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As well as being a 501(c)3, be sure to keep pristine financial records. Find a volunteer bookeeper and save/record every donation and receipt. Funders don't want no Kwame style spending, donations, etc.

Stosh

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$750? do you think that your income will be past the limit for the smaller $250 filing fee?

Cub

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. It's $300 for $10,000 or less.

(Message edited by cub on February 16, 2009)

Stosh

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction: $300 now. Yikes! Been a while since I looked.

Cub

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol. You beat me to the punch.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 483
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If by "income" you mean gross income, we certainly hope it will be over $10,000. We are trying for grant money to be able to complete the community center. All I know is that the CPA who prepared the paperwork said we had to have $750...I guess I'll go read the application myself and see if I can make sense of it.

Stosh

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason I had asked is, basically one can't count much on grants for income. There's a lot out there to apply for, but there is lots of competition for the shrinking pile of cash available.

As a startup, it would be beneficial to start small, build membership. This will be helpful later when you have to demonstrate community support. Dues can go a long way if you have a huge base to draw from.

Some grants also are matching grants as well.

But, I'm sure that you all know this. Ask the CPA if there's any way that you can file for under the $10000 limit, then if you become wildly successful, can you refile at the higher limit later? Is there a break for paying the lesser fee?

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 742
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you get a bite from Skillman and don't yet have formal 503(c)3 status I could maybe help you out. Ron and I are founding members of a 501(c)3 non profit. We are a historical society but given our scope and our book to be published, we might be able to sponsor your grant. Mayor Pingree, founded the concept of community gardens during a depression before the turn of the last century. We could perhaps tie your program into its historical roots.

It is imperative however that you get non profit status. There is tons of Grantors for kid programs. I have a large file downstairs with info on grants for kids programs that I could give to your board members who do grant writing.

I have written several successful grants. DTE has given several grants over the years to our Fox Creek Trail program. I did the landscape design and wrote grant requests but never handled the paperwork. I do know that the money was funneled through Greening of Detroit and they partnered with us for all our tree plantings. The grants are generally for $2500.

Other easy grants available are from Fiskars and Ben and Jerry Ice Cream Foundations. If Fiskars turns you down they still donate a free tool. Home Depot does grants too.

Rules changed on 2008 regarding 501(c)3 status to combat bogus non profits. I am not the numbers or detail person on our board. We did realign our structure to comly with the new rulings.

If you wish to pursue federal grant money which is the big bucks you have to file as a federal contractor, strange but true. It is slightly complicated but do-able. You need a bank account since they have gone almost completely to electronic transfer.

Good luck!

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sumas if you're a grant writer email me hdbenion@gmail.com tell me your fee also. Can someone share the positives or negatives of having the program director of The Skillman Foundation as the superintendant of Pontiac Schools? I checked his background and he's not very experienced. What would be his duties as program director?

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 743
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rockcity, if you sell me on your program as worthy, I do not charge. I believe in service to community.

My e mail is Sueview2@sbcglobal.net. Lots of grant money is out there. I get by on what I make, I have no interest in making money off assisting children who need help. Tell me your plan and I will help as I can.

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Skillman money that's paying to divide Osborn up into Osborn University High Schools, creating smaller schools within the same building. Student reviews are mixed and it is the first year and the implementation was shoddy but I think that's more DPS than Skillman's fault.
IME, they've been giving large chunks of money for inovative reforms on an individual school level and they require a lot of accountability from teh administration and teamwork within the schools.
In my experience with Pontiac Central...that's what that school needs most.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.