Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Recent Police Traffic crackdown on 8 mile « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone aware the recent police activity on 8 mile? On Friday I noticed, County and multiple city activity ticketing a lot of vehicles. It seemed more than a "seat belt" check.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad told me about it also. Said there were multiple jurisdictions involved. Needed Valentine gift money???

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

got to pay for that fancy new City Hall in Eastpointe!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed people pulled over left and right for the past couple days

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 461
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure it wasn't for blown tires from potholes?

Original63
Username: Original63

Post Number: 479
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of years ago they started a multi-jurisdictional traffic action and wound up arresting alot of people with felony warrants.
It was low hanging fruit for them and a big deal to arrest so many felons on such little work.

They do them from time to time, plus they now need gas money, not to mention cash for paydays.

I read this in a news article a few years ago after their first sweep

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 497
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On friday I saw five cop cars between John R. and Mound with their lights on writing tickets. Warren and Sterling Heights are ticket crazy too.

I'm having enough fun trying to memorize potholes to avoid, now 4-wheeled tax assessors!

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every once in a while...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6152
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the east side, in the last 3 days I've seen 10 people getting pulled over on I-94 by police. Usually it's about 10 per month.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got to figure all these Municipalities are broke or looking for whatever they can find to hose the citizens and fill their coffers, so get that radar detector out of the closet and install on the dash of your Hooptie, so's the man won't get ya...Too bad they don't patrol some of the sidestreets where they could get the kids for running down the roads with the bumpty bump music playing so loud in the summer that one can't hear their televisions, or in my case the two young assholes that insist on racing literally at 60-70 mph on my street. I'm gonna fix them this summer, I got a new camera with a video recorder and am gonna record them dragging, then take it directly to Mayor Fouts' office for him to see. Then I'll see just how serious he is about the neighborhoods in Warren.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8 mile between John R and 75 they sit facing traffic in the left turn around lane @ night. They camp out all the time there as I drive the mile daily @ 2-3AM.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Potholes on 8 mile??

The section that I drive on a regular basis, between 94 and Schoenherr has been repaved and in great shape.

When will the bashing end??

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't win. When I lived in the D, I hated driving through Ohio because of all the police. Now I live in Toledo, and I see police everywhere when I go back to Michigan. I hate it when I see PDs such as Detroit, Eastpointe, and Harper Woods try to squeeze blood from a stone. When my brother's girlfriend's house was broken into on Marseilles, and they tried to rape her, and we had surveillance tape from the stores where they used her credit card, the police acted like it was our fault for living in Detroit and wouldn't return phone calls (Never mind that this is a neighborhood that used to be mostly police). I got pulled over for a cracked windshield while delivering pizzas on 8 mile near Gratiot, and that was the nail in the coffin. We will continue to visit the D every weekend, and still have lots of family members living in the city, but I don't want to raise my little girl in a city that doesn't give two shits and a fuck about anybody.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5272
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Original63 indicated above it's an easy way to pick up those with outstanding warrants and catch parole violators and wanted people.

If you believe in the theory that most crime is perpetrated by a relatively small handful of people then enforcement pushes like these can help with crime prevention by apprehending some of those folks.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I hate it when I see PDs such as Detroit, Eastpointe, and Harper Woods try to squeeze blood from a stone."

Well, some simple ways to deal with that is to: 1. Make sure all of your "legalities" are up to date and in order, 2. Make sure you don't break the speed limit, and 3. Don't have a license plate wrapper on your plate. The danglies from the rear view mirror used to facilitate a reason to pull you over (obstruction of view), but that has been recently ruled unconstitutional -- so dangle away.

" I got pulled over for a cracked windshield while delivering pizzas on 8 mile near Gratiot, and that was the nail in the coffin."

That's a serious issue. One small or medium bump you run over and you very easily could have a face full of glass. Replacing the windshield may be cheaper than constantly getting moving violations (and safer).

I used to let things go regarding legalities. Trouble is that the little things started to add up, then one day they became a bigger issue than if I would have taken care of it in the first place. Being proactive (and responsible) costs less overall -- learn from my hard lesson.

That said, I've noticed a bunch of fuzz in the area. Both my coppers and the Wayneies have been out early, mid, late and late night dealing with people who have outstanding legalities. Don't give'em a reason to pull you over and you'll glided right by.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 774
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baselinepunk..PLEASE.
Windshields don't magically explode in your face even when you hit the potholes (which are still plentiful) on Eight Mile. You're online..do a quick google search of "safety glass."

I drive the full length of Eight Mile in the city (Telegraph to Kelly) 10-15 times a week, and yeah..the friendly local police are DEFINITELY making their presence felt. I spotted five of them within two miles of a traffic light that was out, busily pointing radar guns at everyone while doing nothing about the unregulated intersection.
At some point "serve and protect" stepped aside and "fleece and harass" moved in.
They've already made Eight Mile an enormous speed trap for most of its length by imposing a 40mph limit on a road designed for 50mph or better (It's an EIGHT LANE BOULEVARD, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!), now they add more impediments to a smooth flow of traffic..
You tell me, what's the bigger hazard?
Some guy doing eight-ten over the limit, or he and three cop cars stopped in the left lane?

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But you have to say, drive properly and you probably won't get pulled over.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive from the Warren area to the Southfield freeway every day on 8 mile. Each morning this week Hazel Park has had people pulled over westbound between I75 and John R.

In the evening, on Eastbound 8 mile, Oakland County Sheriffs have been sitting at the bottom of the bridge that goes over the Lodge and Greenfield. They have had 5 or 6 cars pulling people over there.

Ferndale was setup between Livernois and Woodward with a few cars yesterday too.

Watch out this week...

Original63
Username: Original63

Post Number: 481
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you John Engler and the rest of the Republican Agenda for bankrupting our state(s).

The transfer of the wealth from the people to Private Contractors ( thus firing county, state and local employees) coupled with tax cuts have left us Broke, this is not a mistake and is a completely Man Made condition.

Only after America's states are re-capitalized will we be able to return to the Police Protecting and Serving instead of Arresting and Enforcing (like in the Black & Brown communities.)

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw the tax enforcer under the I75/8 mile bridge. Damn, this is tough way to balance the budget.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 618
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just finished taking 8 mile from Livernois to Farmington - not a copper to be seen! Whew. 45 all the way, never had to stop til MIddlebelt.

O.

Jat44
Username: Jat44

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Thank you John Engler and the rest of the Republican Agenda for bankrupting our state(s)."

How ism the current economic situation of our stae the fault of John Engler??

What has Jenny and friends done for us lately???

Maybe the police are patrolling * Mile Road more heavily due to the uncaring way that most people drive nowadays.

A major repaving project was just completed on 8 Mile Road from at least Woodward to I-94 so I don't see how anyone can complain about potholes. Drive within the limits of the law and you will not have a problem.

More Police patrols on 8 Mile.........I am all for it!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.