Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Lee's transmission building on 9 & Gratiot...What was it originally??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I often wondered about the building that's located on the north east corner. It has a sorta steeple tower. Anyone know what this used to be. My Dad say's he's always remembered it as Lee's Transmission.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old gas station, I would guess.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 974
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One_shot, I don't know if this will help, but if you have time, you might want to check the "Defunct Detroit Gas Station" thread in the Hall of Fame (>HOF) section. There are a couple of pictures of gas/service stations that have similar towers. I didn't read through all the discussion, but the answer may be in there somewhere. DetroitYES has some knowledgeable folk!

And if you find out, please post answer here!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can only tell you that around the year 1900, the the SW corner of Gratiot and 9 was called Gaukler's Corner, where ( family member) Jacob Gaukler owned and operated a grocery store and meat market,and lived on his property on Lake St. Clair, still know today as Gaukler Pointe. It is now the home of the Edsel and Eleanor Ford Estate.
See Tonnancour, Vol.1, edited by Arthur Woodford.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.