Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Shooting at Detroit Central High School « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Breaking News: Teen Shot Inside Detroit Central High School

POSTED: Tuesday, February 17, 2009
UPDATED: 3:11 pm EST February 17, 2009

DETROIT -- A 17-year-old boy was shot at Detroit Central High School Tuesday, Detroit police confirm.

Police and EMS responded to reports of shots fired at the school just after 2 p.m.

EMS said the teen was taken to Henry Ford Hospital.

Detroit Police Chief James Barren said the teen is not a student at the high school.

WATCH LIVE: Sky 4 Over School Shooting

Police said the shots were fired in a hallway on the second floor of the school.

The high school is located on the city's west side, at 2425 Tuxedo St.

Stay with ClickOnDetroit.com and Local 4 for updates to this developing story.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/18733077/detail.html

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keepin it real in the D

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 765
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A person is in serious condition this afternoon after being shot in the abdomen inside Central High School in Detroit.

According to Charles Mitchell, chief of the Detroit Public Schools Department of Public Safety, the victim is a former student who tried to get into the school shortly after 2 p.m. Security turned him away, but he apparently snuck into school during dismissal and found his way to the second floor, where he was shot.

The victim was taken to Henry Ford Hospital for his injuries. Police released no further information on him, or a suspect or motive.

Detroit Police spokesman James Tate and School Board member Marie Thornton initially identified the victim as a student, but district officials later made it clear he no longer attended the school.

http://freep.com/article/20090 217/NEWS01/90217041/Person+sho t+at+Central+High+School+in+De troit

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3691
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm. So he's 17 and he no longer attends the school...

What would ya say are the chances he just graduated early, rather than got expelled or dropped out?

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 768
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like my odds of winning the lotto better...

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 543
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps the youngster had a gut feeling that his re-admittance was imminent.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This (kids sneaking into schools they don't attend) happens all the time. Cooley went to the uniform policy (red polo shirts and black pants or skirts) and it has made identifying outsiders so much easier. Anyone not in our colors stands out like a sore thumb.

Kids who get in schools they don't attend are there for nothing but trouble. Bet this one won't be sneaking in to any more schools.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 511
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears that he is just another stupid thug wannabe who chose to make himself unemployable by dropping out of school.
Now, we will pay for his medical woes for the rest of his life.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we the emptiest city now?

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no metal dectectors? How in the hell do two kids get guns into the school?

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kids get guns into schools by coming in doors that shouldn't be opened. We have 40 doors at Cooley and only the main entrance should be used and has metal detectors. Kids open the other 39 doors for other kids all the time...I am assuming it's the same at Central.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2288
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The jokes in this thread are sickening. There is nothing funny about anyone getting shot. You can't even imagine the pain a kid who brings a weapon to school feels. At 17, of course he's an idiot. They haven't lived long enough to learn, and a bullet is a tough way to learn anything.

Affective, but why do we need bullets to teach our kids anything?

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on February 18, 2009)

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Central High school has been dealing with gang problems/issues for many years. In the past 3 years especially, there has been an on-going dispute between the young brothas' and sistas' who claim Linwood Ave, and the ones the claim Dexter Ave. (Students that attend Central live in both neighborhoods).

Something that has added to the problem is the relocation of some students that would more than likely go to different neighborhood schools, but do to the closing of some schools, the students now attend Central. Some of these students are being forced to chose a side.

My sister (her daughter last year transferred out of Central do to those issues) lives on Collingwood down the street from Central and last summer while I was visiting I witnessed a crew of at least 25 young brothas that were bold enough to walk down the middle of Collingwood toward Dexter Ave shouting, 'NFL-ALL-DAY', in a show of what I assume, 'crew strength'. So I saw first hand the hostility in that area of that neighborhood. So then, it would not surprise me if the shooting had something to do with the fragile atmosphere in that area between the 'Dexter Boyz'(D-block) and the 'Linwood Boyz'(NFL's).

The community has addressed this hostility with the City of Detroit. I'm not sure what course the city has attempted to take, but hopefully, something will be done to curtail the rising hostile atmosphere in that area.

For some odd reason, here in Detroit, we don't want to believe that there is a serious gang problem in our city. Unlike Detroit's infamous gangs of the 70's, Detroit's gang issues are now a bit more complexed than those days, and for the most part, more complexed than most other cities.

There are no set affiliation per se'(other than the crews in the near Southwest area). Most of the crews or neighborhood children are tied toward the illegal drug trade in the city. So then, when we see a kid selling drugs on the corner or in front of the corner liquor store, we assume that it is simple as that. The reality is, these kids are being subjugated to sell drugs and protect the territory to which they reside. It is a problem that continues to simmer below the radar. Sooner than later, Detroit's gang problem will manifest itself into something as problematic as to what cities like Chicago and LA is dealing with, if we don't recognize the immediate reality.

For the Students sake, I hope this is an isolated issue, but I'm afraid this shooting has something to do with the on-going issues in that area of Linwood and Dexter.

'Sean of Detroit', it does not surprise me on the lack of concern and value on this site when young Black children are involved, to be sure, if this had been a 'downtown visitant' or worker of some sort, we would be reading 200 post of WHY's__go figure!

blksoul_atcha!
We are the ones we have been waiting on!

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for explaining the gang situation and sharing your experiences Blksoul.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2787
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back CAY from the dead. He at least for the most part destroyed the gang mentality of Detroit.
Detroit rises! Yes I know youth violence is in every city just a bit more prevelent here.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting insight from Blk_soul. Its sounds like a sad situation, how can this kind of thing be turned around. What a tough life to live for these kids, but its all they know.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i will admit that a lot of what you post is not up my alley (not that it needs to be), but thanks for the frank and insightful post Blk_soul.

i agree this is a simmering problem that those in city government do not seem to be addressing publicly

(Message edited by gravitymachine on February 18, 2009)

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happend to the Gang Squad?

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 450
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you 'Kenp' and 'Aoife' for your pleasant acknowledgement.

I don't want to appear to paint such a picture of despair, to be sure, there are more positive occurrences in that area than negative. Many hard working, honest, caring citizens reside in the area. Reversely, other than gang issues, I have also witnessed a pro-active stance against fighting the drug hustlers in the area.

Last year a group of men gathered to destroy a known drug supply stash area, use by drug hustlers to conviently retreive there supply for buyers. They spent days and hours uprooting tress and bushery from the vacant area. There are some remarkable brave people in the area.(only you don't see them on the news because they are not sponsored by a capitalistic endeavor)__go figure!

I'm afraid if these issues continue, and continue to pull in Detroit's youngest and finest, as a natural reaction, we will witnessed yet another exodus of Black people of our great neighborhoods.

The voiceless (poor Black citizens) continue to go un-noticed...

I think if there was an internet board for Detroit's mass of poor and suffering, and those people had access and the cognitive wherewithal to speak out to the broader issues in this city (like the Central shooting)...we would understand the true nature of frustration, drama, and concerns that many Detroiters are dealing with, unlike the typical issues we address on such mediums has 'DY' and the like.

I'm not 'knocking' DYers,(I have received valuable information from some posters), but the reality is, it is an obvious disconnect between most 'DYers', (as well as our city leaders), and the mass of poorer Black voiceless people in this city. That's a reality.

Goat you make a good point. I think the City of Detroit has to become more progressively active(not necessarily via the police force), but more geared towared community options and concerns toward the forgotten people in this city__that is, Detroit's Black poor and voiceless citizens.

blksoul_atcha!

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 451
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'GM' stated....
quote:

i will admit that a lot of what you post is not up my alley (not that it needs to be), but thanks for the frank and insightful post Blk_soul.

Thank you Gravitymachine!

blksoul_atcha!

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 788
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think if there was an internet board for Detroit's mass of poor and suffering, and those people had access and the cognitive wherewithal to speak out to the broader issues in this city (like the Central shooting)...we would understand the true nature of frustration, drama, and concerns that many Detroiters are dealing with, unlike the typical issues we address on such mediums has 'DY' and the like."

Good point Blksoul_x, I think Detroit and Wayne county should have free wireless internet for everyone, like the plan there was for Oakland county. Yes, computers are not cheap but people need access to a forum.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 517
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B/x:
"Last year a group of men gathered to destroy a known drug supply stash area, use by drug hustlers to conviently retreive there supply for buyers. They spent days and hours uprooting tress and bushery from the vacant area. There are some remarkable brave people in the area.(only you don't see them on the news because they are not sponsored by a capitalistic endeavor)__go figure!"

It is becoming apparent that actions like this from good people in the community might be the City's only hope. I salute these remarkably brave citizens. It is sad but true that stories like this do not sell soap, thus are seldom found in the news media.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the victim wasn't supposed to be inside the school?

Maybe DPS should hang some of those "trespassers will be shot" signs on the outside of the schools.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4140
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's simply not funny. It's just not.

For whatever reason, the media is unable (or unwilling) to report the whole story, here. Apparently, the shooter went back outside and shot himself in the leg. The story just keeps getting more strange, every day.

This is where my mom's side of the family grew up, and it was even a bit rough in her day. Unlike a lot of the rest of the surrounding neighborhoods, this one is still fairly packed and physically intact.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.