Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » John Engler to discuss Middle-Skill Jobs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.brookings.edu/event s/2009/0226_middle_skill.aspx? emc=lm&m=222440&l=2&v=240825

A Center on Children and Families Event

The Future of Middle-Skill Jobs
U.S. Economy, Labor
Save Register Print E-mail

Event Summary
America’s shortage of highly-skilled workers is well known, but less attention has been focused on “middle-skill jobs,” such as plumbers, electricians, health care workers, legal assistants, machinists, and police officers. Such jobs require significant education and training, but not necessarily a four-year college degree. They make up roughly half of all employment today, and demand for middle-skill workers is expected to continue despite the economic downturn.
Event Information
When
Thursday, February 26, 2009
9:00 AM to 11:45 AM

Where
Falk Auditorium
The Brookings Institution
1775 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, DC

E-mail: events@brookings.edu

Phone: 202.797.6105

On February 26, the Center on Children and Families at Brookings will release a policy brief analyzing the demand for these jobs and their potential for helping disadvantaged workers move up the income ladder. Speakers will examine ways to improve education and training programs to ensure the demand for skilled workers is met. John Engler, president of the National Association of Manufacturers and governor of Michigan from 1991-2003, will give an address.

Speakers and panelists will take questions from the audience.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3537
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring extra shoes. :-)

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 516
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps John could explain the process of gutting the State's mental health system, turning patients into the streets as homeless people. He could then explain the tactic of turning the State Supreme Court over to the insurance companies. Following up, he could explain the merits of putting the State into debt, then leaving for greener pastures two weeks after leaving office.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3919
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Bring back Eloise!

Lafayette
Username: Lafayette

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right on, Bobl. Add to his list of crimes, tax cutting the state so far to the bone that he left Michigan roads in the worst condition in modern history. I remember when he eliminated General Assistance, just days after taking office for his first term, for all "able bodied" people if they, literally, had most of all four limbs. Combined with shuttering Lafayette Clinic and other critically-needed, larger, mental health facilities in local communities, he ended up putting untold numbers of mentally ill, or as he called them "able bodied," men and women on the street. You saw, and still see, a huge number of crazies in Cass Corridor alone that were first put on the street to fend for themselves right after these two cruel moves were made. Sure, there have always been sick people on the street, but you really saw that number explode after Engler cut GA, Lafayette Clinic and other mental health facilities that treated all these "able bodied" people. He then put that money into cutting taxes, which led to among other things, our pothole mecca here in Michigan. And don't give him or his tax cuts credit for the good economy here in the 1990's any more than you can blame Granholm for the horrible economy in this decade - Michigan's economy is primarily a function of the health of the national economy and the domestic auto industry. The Big Three was gettin' rich selling Explorers and SUVs in the '90's. When that crashed, along with the financial industry, Michigan's economy went into a nosedive.
So, all of Engler's tax cuts not only hurt countless people and our suffering road system, Michigan would have thrived anyway continuing to ride the SUV wave of the 1990's. That man killed this state. Stay in D.C.

(Message edited by Lafayette on February 18, 2009)

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobl put it perfectly. The State is still paying for the handiwork of Engler.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8526
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Future of Middle-Skill Jobs"

since it is engler, I assume it is subtitled "how to rid your state of a pesky nuisance"

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The State will still pay for a long time due to "Evil Prince" John's tenure as Governor of Michigan. I think of "Pothole" John everytime I get into my car and have to dodge potholes. Another asshole that did a lot to financially fuck up this state was Richard Hedley. Blame the two of them.

This terrible mess we are all suffering is due to the philosophy of the Reboobigan party and "Let's cut taxes" tripe they've shoved down peoples throats. I would gladly pay a few bucks more and have GOOD roads to drive on, instead of this shit we now suffer with greatly. People actually have to have a fucking job to pay less taxes. How will cutting taxes help someone who has lost their job? What incredible assholes. We've heard this same shit since Ronald Raygun was in office. He and Georgie Herbie, his Village Idiot son, Dubya ran the freaking debt up so much. The Reboobigans are bitching about our kids and grandkids having to pay the debt, but they sure as hell didn't mind ruining the country when they were padding the Salaries of Halibuton executives and et al...

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cutting taxes is not the culprit. Spending money they didn't have is the culprit. If you are going to cut revenues you have to cut spending. If you are going to raise revenues you have make sure that spending does not exceed those revenues. No matter the tax level government overspends.

Many communities are already seeing wages and benefits eat almost 80% of their tax revenues and the percentage is climbing. The cutting was done in the wrong place.

Failure to plan ahead may have been the biggest culprit.

(Message edited by _sj_ on February 18, 2009)

Original63
Username: Original63

Post Number: 483
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then this piece of Crap has the Nerve to be the president of the National Association of Manufacturers

Why What jobs in Manufacturing did he ever help create Especially in Michigan.

Only the Association is probobly like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce which is against Buy American provisions. Go Figure :-(

This thread should be labeled

" How To terrorize a State and get Rewarded for It"

Sort of Like Wolfowitz, Pearle Bolton and Bushes Axix of Evil.

Do as Much Harm and get a Promotion

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck Engler.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2587
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You forgot to mention how fat Johnny eliminated the state IT department, and then ran the state's computer budget up from $55 million to $555 million with no-bid, single-source contracts to EDS. Then, three weeks out of office, he snared a cushy exec job at (drum roll).....EDS. What an amazing coincidence! For which, three weeks out of office, he beat feet out of Michigan for his new exec job in Virginia.

Our gain is Virginia's loss.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stepping away from talking about Engler... there's a bigger issue.

The reality is that the average IQ is 100. In order to do many "next economy" jobs, you need an IQ of 120 or above. So the "next economy" is going to leave a lot of people behind unless they're trained.

We need to have jobs for these good people, and not everyone's cut out for the same job. The reality of the human race is not everybody is fit for college, lots of people have different skills, and you need to make sure that the skills meet the people and that the jobs pay respectably so that folks can live off of their hard work.

Do I find it laughable that it's John Engler presenting some of this information? Certainly. However, it is an important topic to address.

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is funny, in 6 years you can probable cut and paste this entire thread and replace the "Engler" with "Bush" cause it will be the same thing the liberals are crying 6 years from now......

Bobl

Post Number: 519
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G: Actually, "liberals", as well as logical thinkers, are already pointing out the obvious similarities, which do not require an IQ above 100 to understand.

Goose

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B. problem is, you've had your girl in charge here in Michigan for the last six years and it's still Englers fault that she hasn't done shit to help this state....

I can already see the cries 6 years from now when your boy BO and his crew in the congress/senate haven't fixed crap that its still Bushs fault....

Bobl

Post Number: 520
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, your point is that it was a good move for Engler to throw the mental patients out on the street, pack the Supreme Court with insurance company lackeys, ditch the State IT department (with a budget of 55 million) and replace it with a 550 million dollar windfall for EDS, then take a job with EDS two weeks after leaving the state?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4401
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would go to the talk, just to hear what a career politician thinks he knows about working a "middle-skill job" for a living.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engler sucks.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 584
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plumbers, electricians, health care workers, legal assistants, machinists, and police officers.

a few of these things doesn't belong....can you find them?

I think there are two different categories here.

plumbers, electricians, and machinist are far different skills than health care workers, legal assistants and police officers.

i consider the first three almost art forms and very difficult to master. The last three can be done after a few years of school and training.

Original63

Post Number: 486
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
this is funny, in 6 years you can probable cut and paste this entire thread and replace the "Engler" with "Bush" cause it will be the same thing the liberals are crying 6 years from now......

Goose We are All crying now and probably then (6 years from now) this man made disaster was optional not some unavaoidable mess we fell into we were lead by the Pied pipers of Lies and even Republicants are suffering now......

So as far as Engler and the Failed Republican Agenda.....if the Shoe fits....throw it.

And I repeat previous posters... Fuck Engler for he has surely Fucked Us.

(Message edited by original63 on February 19, 2009)

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 468
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No ones getting fat 'cept Big John"

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

plumbers, electricians, and machinist are far different skills than health care workers, legal assistants and police officers.

i consider the first three almost art forms and very difficult to master. The last three can be done after a few years of school and training.

Art Forms? I guess anyone can go down to the local Home Depot and be an artist.

They all can be mastered and require different skills but to assume one set is easy or more important than other is just absurd.

(Message edited by _sj_ on February 19, 2009)

321brian

Post Number: 585
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but you can buy the materials to try. Then you can go home and try.

Then you can zap yourself or flood something then call a pro.

I'm saying different people can master different skills.

for me I think I have a better chance of becoming a cop, legal aid or health care worker than a tradesman.

Goose

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-sj- i agree

i have no formal training, i've completelly replumbed my house, copper pipes, PVC drains.... replaced the eleectrical service panel, run new circuits, drywalled and finished an attic area, run heat ducts, etc etc....

i may not have mastered the "art form" but from what i can do i am able to do 95% of the stuff, just from reading a book, now if i had a few years of training in these skills im sure i would be close to master..... its not brain surgery....

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno about you guys, but I classify career politicians as 'low skill' to 'middle skill' jobholders.

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let us not forget that it was Coleman Young's snub of Blanchard and his refusal to get out the detroit vote that put Engler in office. You have only yourselves to blame.

Original63

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to bad for you non derola's that that Engler Fucked more than just Detroit Huh??

Original63

Post Number: 491
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to bad for us non derola's that that Engler Fucked more than just Detroit Huh??

Everyone is screwed at this party.

Original63

Post Number: 492
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to bad for us non derola's that Engler Fucked more than just Detroit Huh??

Everyone is screwed at this party.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a college degree and a journeyman's card. My so called "middle-skill" certification was much more difficult to attain that my so called "high-skill" certification." My mid-skill certification also pays a heck of a lot better.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 838
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't electricians and plumbers attached to the construction industry which is in the toilet right now? And the number of police depends on the cities' budgets.

Brownfieldguy
Username: Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God, the whole idea of having any sort of discussion regarding this subject with Engler as part of it just is..... stunning? No, absurd? Let's just say hard to believe. There is some sort of irony in a recent quote from Johnny when as head of the manufacturers association he mentioned that "he rarely thinks of Michigan these days."

WTF. Wasn't he born here? Didn't he get educated here? He held office here? I think he was a significant power broker here in the state senate too. And he was a two term governor.... yet he thinks of Michigan little. Huh?

I think that is revealing and a continued attempt to distance himself from himself. He grabbed his Texas wife and three kids and got out of this state immediately after leaving office. I know of no other example of that occurring (and yes I am sure you out there know of others). I think he knew some of the long term problems coming and he knew he had some real responsibility for them too.

I really dislike that asshole.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i may not have mastered the "art form" but from what i can do i am able to do 95% of the stuff, just from reading a book, now if i had a few years of training in these skills im sure i would be close to master..... its not brain surgery....

Sure, I can do that stuff, too. Yet, I don't feel the need to deride people who make it their profession. And I also hire them to do it when I am too busy or the troubleshooting could be much faster and better by someone who has seen it all.

If you're proud of your own profession, why would you need to insult others?

321brian

Post Number: 587
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goose,

How about you get the inspector over there and see what he has to day about your handywork?

If it all checks out then congratulations. You are skilled and you need to realize that not everyone has the aptitude to pick these things up.

Ask a plumber or an electrician the type of do it yourself work they see and fix everyday.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.