Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Free Press Endorses Evans » Archive through February 16, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4123
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*banging head against brick wall*

quote:

Free Press Endorses Evans

February 15, 2009

Detroit is on the brink of disaster. The next mayor will have to make a big difference in a hurry.

Among the 15 candidates in the Feb. 24 primary, Warren Evans has the best chance to do so by attacking crime in a bold way. This makes him more promising for the short term than two other contenders with important attributes.

Dave Bing would bring a needed business perspective to City Hall. Freman Hendrix understands the city and how its government is supposed to work from his years as deputy mayor.

But Evans, the Wayne County sheriff, is also an experienced leader, accustomed to the public arena and no stranger to Detroit's hardball politics. He's not a single-issue candidate, but his long suit is fighting crime -- and that is a critical problem for a city with many of them.

The next mayor could be an interim leader, because the Feb. 24 special primary and May 5 general election will be followed by the regular August primary and November elections for a full four-year term.

If Evans can make Detroit safer, he will give the city a chance to truly get better over the long haul. If he can reduce the murders, arson, burglary and theft, if he can make the schools safer, Detroit might stop hemorrhaging families and start attracting investors and developers.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8991
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You do that enough, L, you just might make yourself dumb enough to agree with them.

Be careful who you allow control over your emotion. It is YOUR emotion, after all.

I'm betting on an epidemic of head-banging on this one...the fix is in.

All of a sudden the Freep is the Law and Order rag in town?!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4124
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be clear, I have no ill will against Evans. In fact, I think he's done quite a bit of good in his career for Wayne County. But, I don't think he's most suited to the vast majority of Detroit's problems at this particular time in its history. He's not the right kind of change.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8992
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is too wrapped up with the previous administration to be as squeaky clean as his veneer implies.

I don't trust him one whit.

Kwhyme didn't get full control over his so-called jailcell's heating and cooling system...nor did he avoid the so-called food they feed the general population...OR have so many visitors without some extraordinary help from the dear Sheriff of Guttingham.

Cheers

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 349
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see where they're coming from. Crime is the problem that spawns many of the others in Detroit; it robs the city of the entrepreneurial energies that naturally revive inner cities, even those with underlying dynamics as problematical as Detroit's.

But does Evans have a proven record as a crime fighter? I don't really know him well--always thought he was pretty much a functionary of the Wayne County Democratic machine until he stepped up to run for mayor.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A mayor has to do many things to run a city. He can get someone to specialize in cutting down crime while he's busy getting business, the schools and city services back on track.
A one dimensional guy won't cut it.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 721
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do Evans, Hendrix, and Bing get mentions in this article, but our current mayor (who is also running in this race) Ken Cockrel does not even get a byline, as if he was not running at all and should not even be considered? I for one am a big fan of Cockrel's realism & optimism.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how many corners there are in Detroit.

A cop on the beat on every corner would be amazing. Maybe if it was just every corner where at least one of the streets intersecting was not a side street.

And then a call box on every corner that was two side streets.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't worry about it too much, Lmichigan. Newspaper endorsements don't amount to much when the rubber hits the road in politics.

Bobby_wobby
Username: Bobby_wobby

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand ,Whats wrong with Cockrel? He stood up to Kwame and the council,and has a realistic plan for Cobo.As far as making Detroit safer ,we used to have 6000 cops,now we have 2200,and no money.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this will be the best experiment yet as to how the newspapers actually effect a Detroit election, as Evans is what - single digits? Low 10's?

Let's see from his last poll before the election to where he ends up now - and we'll have an interesting (albeit not 100% accurate) indicator of how much the Freep endorsement actually means, or if it's a catalyst.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3764
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was pretty surprised at this endorsement considering how closely tied Evans is to the Kilpatricks. I don't believe the entire editorial board is too pleased by this endorsement.

quote:

As far as making Detroit safer ,we used to have 6000 cops,now we have 2200,and no money.

You can thank the good sheriff's ex-wife for that...

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that it's in the Freep's best interest to keep stirring the pot. A boring, efficient city doesn't sell papers. It seems as if that's the case here.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freep should have endorsed Cockrel. Evans? Give me a break.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 667
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand this endorsment. What will Evans do to reduce crime in the city that isn't or hasn't been done already ? I'm sure he's done well in his current job but how does that equate to him being a good mayor ? I'm sure the politically astute members of this board can enlighten me.

BTW Cockrel wasn't mentioned in the article because if you remember the earlier Freep article Cockrel didn't make the cut.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 545
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last week the Free Press said they'd narrowed their endorsement choice down to 3 candidates, Bing, Evans, and Hendrix. I assume Cockrel wasn't mentioned because they had already weeded him out.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 564
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is unbelievable. Did the Free Press forget about this little story, which they reported on January 10:

[Note: I'm linking to the Detroit News version of the story, as I don't feel like paying $2.95 to the Free Press archives.]

Detroit News, January 10, 2009

Sheriff's spending prompts layoffs

Wayne County officials laid off 44 members of Sheriff Warren Evans' executive staff Friday [January 9], claiming his out-of-control spending on crab, shrimp and other foodstuffs for his employees left them little choice.

Evans is denying most of the allegations, but a Department of Management & Budget report found $928,569 in purchase orders from 2006 to 2008 it labels "abusive spending." The tally included luxury meals, food for staff Christmas parties and meals for jail inmates that could be bought cheaper or should not have been bought at all, according to the report.

"We can no longer sit back and wait for you to comply with the County's budget ordinance," the county's Chief Financial Officer Carla Sledge wrote Evans when she informed him of the layoffs Friday afternoon.

The letter said Evans ran a $16 million deficit last year, is $10 million in the red this year, but fed his staff "crab meat, roast beef, shrimp, beef ribs, vegetable dips, fries, deli trays, center pork chops and cakes" and let taxpayers pick up the tab.

Immediately laid off Friday were half of the 44 workers, all civilians on Evans' executive staff. The remainder is uniformed officers on his staff who reverted to their posts at the county jail. Under the union contract, 22 jail workers will be laid off next week based on seniority.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20090110/METRO 01/901100378

Forty-four people laid off due to $928,569 in "abusive spending." But this is who the Free Press picks. Unbelievable.

Here's the link to the Free Press article if you want to purchase it:
http://search.freep.com/sp?aff =1100&skin=100&keywords=warren +evans+staffers+laid+off

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6150
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gsgeorge,

To answer you about why the Freep didn't mention Cockrel, while they did mention Hendrix, Bing and Evans... in last Sundays editorial page they decided that Cockrel wasn't up to it, but that they were reserving their judgement between Hendrix, Bing and Evans as their choice for mayor.

So that's why they only mentioned Hendrix, Bing and Evans in this Sundays editorial...

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 455
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if they thought Kwame's city credit card was outrageous, just wait until they get a load of Evans' card after 6 months as Mayor!

I think its all a plot to sell more papers and win more journalism awards. After all, look what the KK stories did for them. It'll be a boring 4 years with Hendrix or Bing, however, Evans should provide lots of scandalous stories as he tries to re-employ the old KK crew and keep Ferguson in the lifestyle he's accustomed to. They couldn't endorse McPhail or Loving because it would be too obvious that they were up to something by choosing either of those clowns.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 762
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If news paper selling is the aim, why not support McPhail? she'd be way more entertianing in her failures than Evans.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The inherent fallacy is that the next mayor wont take office until about June, which means that the current budget will be depleted and the next budget will have been set, by Cockrel....so this public safety effort for Evans will be an unfunded mandate for at least a year, providing that Evans also wins through in November.

A poorly developed logic model has been applied here.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why do Evans, Hendrix, and Bing get mentions in this article, but our current mayor (who is also running in this race) Ken Cockrel does not even get a byline, as if he was not running at all and should not even be considered?

Cockrel shouldn't be considered because the only thing he does his cash his paycheck. Detroit needs more than that.
quote:

I for one am a big fan of Cockrel's realism & optimism.

Is that the new euphemism for lazy and overpaid?
quote:

I don't understand ,Whats wrong with Cockrel?

You mean, besides the fact that he collects a paycheck without doing any work?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4125
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, at least you aren't pimping Bing like you've done in almost every post you've made here in the last few months, so I guess that's some improvement.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you follow the man around all day?

a lazy and overpaid fellow wouldn't ask to have his pay cut 20%, wouldn't open a closed police precinct, travel to Lansing to secure a deal on Cobo, open 4 mini-stations, report on the true status of the city's budget, travel to DC in support of the auto industry, meet with suburban officials and the state's legislative body to ease relations, etc.

This in 4 months. Do me a favor, explain what you would do differently if you had 4 months at the helm of the most screwed up city in America, during the worst economic crisis in years, with the limited resources the city has, and dealing with a psychotic city council, in a state that despises your city.

Yeah, stick to documentaries on abandoned buildings or internet blogs.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

a lazy and overpaid fellow wouldn't ask to have his pay cut 20%, wouldn't open a closed police precinct, travel to Lansing to secure a deal on Cobo, open 4 mini-stations, report on the true status of the city's budget, travel to DC in support of the auto industry, meet with suburban officials and the state's legislative body to ease relations, etc.

#1. When there's a shooting in my neighborhood, will that re-opened police station or any of the mini-stations respond? Will it do anything to improve police response time?

No, they won't. Those were nothing but token gestures. Detroit needs more than tokens.

#2. He got a deal on Cobo. Great, call the auto dealers and tell them to vote for him. Those of us who have to live with almost non-existent city services need more than that.

#3. Kilpatrick told everyone last August that the City's budget deficit could go as high as $300 million. Today, Cockrel says that it's $300 million. How is saying that Kilpatrick was right 6 months ago "reporting on the true status of the city's budget"?

#4. Did anything come from those meetings with suburban officials and/or the legislature? Anything relevant? Something besides more hot air?

No.

#5. As for the pay cut that he took, if he cuts his pay by another 80% then his pay will finally be in line with the work that he does. Until then, he shouldn't expect any gratitude from the people that he is stealing from every day.
quote:

This in 4 months. Do me a favor, explain what you would do differently if you had 4 months at the helm of the most screwed up city in America, during the worst economic crisis in years, with the limited resources the city has, and dealing with a psychotic city council, in a state that despises your city.

I've mentioned them on several occasions. However, I'm not above repeating myself when the situation requires it.

We are currently spending $19 million of City funds on the Harmonie Park/Paradise Valley project. Does anyone really want to tell me that we couldn't find a better use for those limited dollars?

We are currently funding 5 different City agencies to work on economic development. None of them are doing a very good job of it. Those agencies need to be consolidated and overhauled. We can do a lot more with a lot less.

We are currently spending $15.4 million to support a 9 member City Council. That amount is ridiculous. Cockrel should have opposed it when he was on the Council and he should do so now.

We are also spending $11.8 million to operate the Mayor's Office itself. This also should be dramatically cut back.

We are spending $11.9 million on the Civic Center. I love Hart Plaza as much as anyone else, but until we can make sure that everyone 9-1-1 emergency call is answered, this needs to be cut as well.

We are spending millions of dollars every year to settle various law suits against the City. Every other major city in America has risk management program to curtail those losses. Detroit doesn't. It's long past time for us to address that.

Source for all of those numbers is at http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Po rtals/0/docs/budgetdept/2008-0 9_Redbook/Budget-in-Brief%2008 -09.pdf

With the millions of dollars that could easily be saved if Cockrel was willing to put some some effort into serving his constituents, we could easily hire another couple hundred police officers, hire civilians to handle non-police functions within DPD and to make upgrades within the fire department.
quote:

Yeah, stick to documentaries on abandoned buildings or internet blogs.

Don't worry. I can do those things and still complain about a crocked politician who is wasting my money.

The next time you see Cockrel, however, please ask him how many jobs there where you can get paid a 6-figure salary without producing any results. Even in politics, the answer is not many.

Detroit can't afford to have such low standards for itself any longer. We shouldn't have to apologize for wanting the services that we've paid for nor should we have to put up with loud-mouth cronies who don't want their boss to have to do any work.

Jacqueline
Username: Jacqueline

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek: Well put.

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Frank, why don't you run for Mayor in the next cycle coming up later this year?

You seem to know your stuff and have your program already pretty well thought out.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it would be a great experience for you to run - and if elected, to see what the elected officials have to deal with - it's a lot more than people think and it's not as easy as it appears at first blush; it's only 10% about your policies, 90% about the use of the laws of power and war to put those policies into effect.

Most of the "good" people I know who get into politics burn out really fast once they realize how it actually works.

You can say there's policies until you're blue in the face but especially in a situation where the leadership has no stick (like Detroit and it's unions), you have a long road to hoe.

There is a saying that never follow a man with large shoes - and like him or hate him, Kilpatrick had large shoes in many ways. Anybody who wasn't as outgoing and "out there" as Kilpatrick is going to look small in comparison.

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all about selling papers.

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atleast the Metro Times is endorsing Cockrel!