Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Livonia Mall Demolition Photos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait until it's easy to add pictures on DetroitYES without manually resizing them in another program. Until then, here's a shameless link to the blog they are posted upon.

DetroitYES posters can use them for any purpose. I will be submitting them to Wikipedia and the public domain, if possible.

Link: http://dayinthed.blogspot.com/

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How sad. =( One of my friends and I went there on one of the final days when just Sears and JoAnn Fabrics were open. The security guard was cool enough to let us check out the theatre. We got a lot of pics. Perhaps I should upload them...

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Id like to see interior pics LJbad. It would be great if u could post them, specially the original sections. We used to hang there as teens sneaking into movies and eating at the SS Kresgee or the coney... I used to work at the theatre, chess king and crowleys too. Usher and popcorn popper at the theatre and store security at crowleys, probably had a few of you arrested = ) . Both crowleys and the theatre were fun jobs , chess king, not so much. One with free movies and the other fun watching people try and shoplift. I had to change the bulbs in the theatre itself, man thats high up, and took a pretty good beating once doing an arrest, GOOD TIMES, lol. Sad to see it go but it was probably time. Im so old I remember the grocery store that was there, sigh

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting how much nostalgia people have for these old malls. I guess I kinda do too--I always liked going to Universal City, even though there was nothing there worth doing except the movie theater, just because I spent so much time there as a little kid and had so many good memories from it. Architecturally, Universal was a bland piece of shit, and it was just old enough to be worn-out without being old enough to be interesting, but I still felt a bit of a pang when I drove by one day and it was gone. No similar sentiment for Livonia Mall, though--I don't think I ever even went there.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 544
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many memories of Livonia Mall, saw 'Animal House' and 1/3 of '1941' at the theater (a ruckus happened). Enjoyed many good lunches in the Sears cafeteria, and many snowy, last-minute Christmas shopping times there. And that Sears auto shop was nuts-busy all the time.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 932
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent many hours in that mall. Loved going to the baseball card shows there. I stopped going there when my "former" barber moved out. Guess I,ll have to head up to 8 mi where they are now.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 962
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way back in the day I had many of flat tops cut in that mall...

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"when my "former" barber moved out"

Was that the Golden Scissors? I remember going there in high school with a friend to get his hair cut. I was taking a lighter in the waiting area and melting the sole of my shoe. The barbers were going nuts trying to figure out what that smell was, sniffing their electric razors and exclaiming "We should call security, maybe the roof is on fire!" My friend was getting his hair cut and knew it was me the whole time could barely contain his laughter.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldnt let them cut my hair there, It was too long and feathered, they used to eyeball me with that "Id like to cust that sh*t off" look as i wandered past. I didnt dare go in, that was years before my clipper cut stage

I have a memory of the hallmark store in the courtyard in front of it. I saw a tall, gangly girl with short short hair that i went to high school with in there shopping for cards. Being a teen I went up behind her and kicked her square in the behind...... to bad when she turned around it was some old woman, sigh .

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rode my fancy new mountain bike to the Livonia Mall in 1990. When I returned from shopping the lock was half severed, lucky for me the thief was interrupted and I returned before he could finish his dasterdly deed.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6159
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These mall closing stories always give me Deja Vu!

Back in the late 1970's there was a Saturday Night Live series of skits about future mall closings....

The Scotch Tape store was hanging on by a thread... and sales were so bad at the Puppy Palace... that the puppies were getting older, and even the puppies were having puppies!

Kahnman
Username: Kahnman

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, one of my favorite skits, Gistok. A touch of brilliant irony when the Tape store had to use their own tape to attach "Going Out Of Business" signs on the walls.

Not to hijack the thread but there is a tear in my beer for the old Tel-Twelve mall of yesteryear...

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 934
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Barber Shop was Euginos I belive,Two brothers worked there.The father worked there at one time also before he passed.That barber shop originated on Grand River and Evergreen as I have been told.Funny thing when I do think of all the places my Mom took me to get a hair cut they have pretty much been in malls. Tel-12, Metro Place Mall in Wayne, Westland Mall, Then last Livonia Mall.Having writen all that, When Euginos moved out to 8mi I started going to a Barber in Westland, whom had moved from Warrendale.I don't have to travel far for a hair cut now with the oldest daughter "cutting" my hair.I really though miss Livonia Mall,Tel-12,and in a way that little mall in Wayne. But with my family 20 years gone from 7/evergreen I got the memories of it. Have to see that old SNL skit I am starting to remember that.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2298
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the Livonia Thanksgiving Day Parade they used to do down Middlebelt?

I remember being in a youth scout program when I was young. Every year they would dress us up in giant boxes. They would cut big wholes for our head and arms, and wrap us in sparkly Christmas paper and bows so we looked like giant Christmas presents. The parade would go from a funeral parlor up the cold November street, to the warm embrace of Livonia Mall, and free hot chocolate for everyone who participated; except Santa of course, he would take his thrown in the Mall, and all the younger kids would line up to see him.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 755
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NEW Signs are Coming Soon

Welcome to
Wal-Mart City

Putting Business First
Since November 2006.

Our leaders used to put families first but building more Wal-Marts and destoying
mass transit is more important to our present mayor and city council members.

But, that is what happens when people do not vote to protect jobs and family values.

Good luck to the supporters of Mr. Hertel and other mass transit advocates. I sincerely hope that we do get the $10 Billions from Washington to build his system and solid industry support, if that is what the taxpayers want

It won't happen in my lifetime because it takes many years to build a World class public transit system. But, it won't happen in Mr. Hertel's lifetime also for the same reason. I think it is nice of Mr. Hertel to think of the future of mass transit beyond his own lifetime.

Kahnman
Username: Kahnman

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh,oh...

Why is it I think my very first conversation in person with Trainman would go something like this :

Kahnman - "Hi, Trainman! It sure is a beautiful day, isn't it?"

Trainman - "Yeah, for RAPID TRANSIT!!, but only if Mr. Hertel would just... billions of dollars...
mass transit...my lifetime..."

Fade in - sound effects of needle wearing permanent groove in record - "scritch... scritch...scritch..."

Oy Veh!!

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for taking those photos, Sean. Would've been nice if you stepped out of your car before snapping them, tho. :-)

I remember movies at Livonia Mall, Big Boys and a Sanders ice cream shop.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, sorry about the low quality. Only the Wonderland and Chi-Chi's pictures are from a car though (consider those bonuses). Unfortunately, I just happened to be in the area when I was told they started demolition on the Mall that morning. I was going to see it for myself and happened to have my fiance's camera with me that she left in the car. In the future I'll try to get better pictures, and might change the really horrible pictures next time I am out that way.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.