Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Conyers and Hendrix together ..oh my « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 470
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a lovely political couple they make in their opposition to the Cobo deal. Freman grabbing at straws as his campaign sinks out of sight and Monica who can't stand staying out of sight.
Monica feels slighted because she wasn't consulted.
Freman tagging along like a lap dog looking for a headline. Detroit would go far with those two in charge. NOT.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 701
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, those in opposition to the Cobo deal make some good points. Freman Hendrix would be the best person to champion the opposition, as Monica is completely loony. The thing that I wonder is, is the opposition arguing to have all of nothing as opposed to a piece of something? I think Detroit should have a greater voice on the Cobo board, but a few jobs are better than no jobs.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 563
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the Cobo Arena deal part of a pattern of the City shedding responsibility and ownership of it's former holdings like the Historical Museum, the Zoo, The DIA, the tunnel.

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think it's good that the suburbs will have a lot of power with the cobo deal. things like this and a regional transit authority give the suburbs a bigger stake in the city; it gives them a reason to support Detroit.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city didn't relinquish ownership of the Zoo or Historical Museum as part of those authorities. It shed the financial responsibility, a big win for the city's finances. I think it's the same deal with Cobo. I can see some of the points of the opposition, but it's not worth scuttling the deal. It appears that Hendrix is grasping for a headline/political points with his opposition this close to the election. Makes me less likely to vote for him.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4155
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crumbled,

Yes, even Monica had some good points in opposing the new Cobo Authority. There are, in fact, some very good reasons to question the proposal as now stands. She did it entirely wrong.

Hendrix's problem is that it's too late, now. Monica did her fatal damage to the good arguments of the opposition, which essentially makes the opposition to the plan look like some loons. If Hendrix thought this was wrong, he should have co-opted the issue from Day 1 of his run. Instead, he jumps on literally days before he's to be up for a vote. It smacks of political opportunism, and just plain incompetence for waiting so long and letting Monica lead this knowing she how unpredicatable she is.

It's too late. If he really cared about the deal where was he when this thing was working it way through the state legislature months ago? And, now he's dumb enough to hitch his wagon to Monica's? Really? This move was an epic fail, and I've lost a lot of respect for Hendrix because of it, not because I'm such a rabid fan of this proposed Cobo authority, but because he bungled this so very badly.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.