Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Lodge & Michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did the Lodge Freeway go in? I am specifically interested in the location around Michigan Avenue. Maybe someone knows where construction was started.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3549
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think around 1947

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3550
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Construction did not begin until after the end of World War II. The first phase extended north from First Street and Jefferson Avenue to Pallister and Hamilton avenues. The Third Street Bridge was ready by November 1948, and the Milwaukee Avenue Bridge opened in 1948, but other developments in this section proved costly and complicated. Dealing with railroad lines was a particular challenge, since rail traffic could not be interrupted by road construction. Temporary trestles carried trains for two years while permanent bridges were erected. Relocating water, sewer and other utility lines sometimes took longer than anticipated. In addition, right-of-way acquisition costs were high, depleting the amount of money available for work on the expressway. While progress was delayed south of Pallister, the county extended its efforts to the north, opening the Forest Avenue Bridge in 1949, and the Warren Avenue Bridge in 1950.

From http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0 ,1607,7-151-9620_11154_11188-2 9310--,00.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.