Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Motor City Muffler « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tail pipe on my muffler was hanging, (broken strap) a co-worker told me about this place where he had a muffler slapped on for fifty bucks. The shop is on 6 mile just west of Hoover. Drove in up on the ramp, hopped out, had a seat and a quick weld here and there the job was done for twenty dollars. Gave the mechanic a tip and I was on my merry way. Kind of neat going to an out of the way place in the city. Something tells me if I would have went to a chain they would have insisted I needed some unnecessary repair or part. Corporate chain stores may not be abundant in Detroit, but residents and visitors can find needed services in independant shops.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. Sounds like a place that would put in a test pipe for you if needed, saving a fair piece of change. A test pipe would eliminate your catalytic converter should it ever become clogged.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9036
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or stolen...

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 379
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tail pipes are $5. Hangers are even cheaper. You found someone who decided to slap on a $2 part, took ten minutes, and got $20 bucks for it, not to mention, you may send him more business. Otherwise, you could have left, gone to Midas, who may have fixed the same problem for $50, or worse, told you that $200 was necessary to replace the whole thing.

Let's hear it for the little guy. Support your local businesses.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 964
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you support your local car mechanic if you knew that he was unlicensed???

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 380
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be careful where you tread here.

Last I checked most dealerships have licensed mechanics and I wouldn't take YOUR car anywhere near one.

I don't trust most licensed mechanics. Sure, there's protocol, (i.e. can't do an alignment w/o replacing a worn ball joint/tie-rod end), but if my guy on the corner has a bunch of F-150s in and out of there, I'd probably trust he knows how to work on my f150.

If I need my brakes relined, why does everyone and his brother want to replace a sticky caliper, when my mechanic greases the slides and the problem is solved.

The "scope" deal is bunch of bunk too. The dealerships make it sound like they have some hi-tech machine that will solve your rough running engine. If someone with an alligator clip and a manual wants to read the error code and it takes him 10 minutes, why should I pay the dealership $110 to "put in on the scope?"

I just had an $1200 parts and labor estimate for the steering box and pump on my F 150, from a reputable suburban shop, and that didn't even include the alignment. I go to Car Quest, and they sell a seal kit for the very steering box for $15, the same kit that replaces seals on most Fords since the mid 70s. I take it to a buddy who has tools and throw him a buck fifty. We throw a new pump on a week later, which IS a pain in the ass. I throw him three, and I'm fixed for half the cost of the 'reputable' suburban shop.

Sure, there are those of us who are fortunate to have "people" who know how to work on cars. For the rest of the mortals, owning a car absolutely sucks because the markup is ridiculous, not to mention the lack of trust.

I'd be more than happy to visit the guy on the corner and throw him a twenty, or more, just on principle.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mechanic friend lives out of state. I just got taken for a ride at Firestone, intake manifold ran me close to $700.00 bucks. Joe would have cut that in half. A week after I left the lot at Snethkamps where I bought the new car (no warranty) I noticed a strong smell of coolant emanating from the car. 97 Skylark 65,000 miles and a four cylinder. I gave my son and his girlfriend my sleek comfortable 90 Riviera, hated to let it go but they need some extra transportation for the baby (Im a grandpa yay!!!) The only reason I bought the car from the dealership is because I dont have most of my savings and investments in cash, and the circumstances. I hate giving money to auto repair chains and dealerships...

Hamtragedy I believe auto zone will hook up to a diagnostic device for free. A mechanic I looked up on Craigslist charges $40 in his garage at home.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9042
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also don't think the licensing, per se, is the issue...but there are those who won't deal with a place that isn't bonded and insured.

I'm all for buying vehicles that can be worked on by a competent owner...I'm a shade-tree sorta guy.

Far as I can remember, I always go to mechanics based upon a personal recommendation, and I've NEVER looked to see if they were licensed, bonded, OR insured.

Caveat emptor? This emptor remains ignorant...

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 938
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do like to work on my cars and hate taking them anywere for service, But because I can write better then weld. I have found out that I do save TIME AND $$$ by taking my exhaust repairs to a independant muffler shop by my house. If I were to buy the parts and take the time to do it. I would still be in the red.My last two exhaust installations were what you call "defective exhaust/excessive noise" tickets.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.