Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Literacy Rates in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miss_d_meanor
Username: Miss_d_meanor

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure we have all heard the statistic that half of Detroiters are illiterate. Do you think this is true?

I grew up in Detroit and still have many friends that live in the city and I honestly find this statistic very hard to believe. Perhaps it's simply wishful thinking on my part but I absolutely refuse to believe that half of the population of Detroit is functionally illiterate.

Is the statistic inaccurate or am I just naive?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4158
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always doubted the rates. The most recent number I've seen for Detroit is 47% illiteracy. I've seen Grand Rapids listed at 21%. These all seem extremely high, and it makes me wonder about how exactly they are measuring "illiteracy"? I'd be more than able to believe that there are many children far below grade level in reading in this country, but I'm not sure I can believe in even a 21% illiteracy rate in any English-speaking American city. Just anecdotally, much of my family still lives in Detroit and attend Detroit Public Schools. I don't know even one that can't read, not my older relatives, nor my same-age and younger cousins.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're spot on, Lmichigan. I believe that the illiteracy rates are based on a 7th grade level. Therefore (I think this is right) 50% of Detroiters read and write below a 7rh grade level.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4161
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so that's how they measure "illiteracy." I was never aware of the criteria.

Miss_d_meanor

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering that myself and from what I have read, illiteracy can be defined by inability fill out a job application or other simply forms, now even a 4th grader could fill out a simply job application. On the other hand I have also heard the 7th grade level used as well.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds this statistic suspicious but I must admit my opinion just like yours Lmichigan, stems from the fact that I know many people from Detroit and they certainly all know how to read (now whether they actually read anything is another story.)

I've been a huge fan of Detroit Blog (now featured in the Metro Times) for years and a month back he had a nice piece on a branch of the Detroit Public Library if anyone is interested: http://www.detroitblog.org/?p= 561

(Message edited by Miss_d_meanor on February 21, 2009)

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 542
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A family member owned a business in Detroit in the 1980-1995 period. Trash collection was sporadic, so he hired a private contractor to remove trash. The container was illegal, and he received a letter and citation in the mail. The letter consisted of three paragraphs and had three misspellings. He framed it and placed it on his wall!

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Measurement. I think it's subjective. BUT there are reading and writing issues everywhere (even here in Iowa) A quick look through Craigs List ads in any state provde that notion.

So it comes down to what does it mean and how does it hold Detroit back?

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Measurement. I think it's subjective. BUT there are reading and writing issues everywhere (even here in Iowa) A quick look through Craigs List ads in any state prove that notion.

So it comes down to what does it mean and how does it hold Detroit back?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2794
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I have stated before if only 10-15% of people are voting in the primaries then I would consider that the illiteracy rate to be quite high. Maybe not 47% but I would suspect in the 30+ percentile.
Want to fix Detroit? Fix the damn school board first. Because Detroit will then receive jobs and then that should cut down on the crime rate. Interesting to see how Detroit's schools started to crumb so did the very fabric of Detroit.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 473
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you heard how some people talk?
Sometimes, I think I'm in a foreign country
where English is a second language.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where I work we deal with 18-24 year old HS dropouts. As part of the application process into our program everyone is required to take a TABE (Testing of Adult Basic Education) test. Due to funding and time restraints we can only except a 6th grade or higher average on both math and reading skills. Out of the last 300 or so applicants we have only been able to select around 75 people into our program. So from this small sample one could argue that 75% of Detroiters cannot read at a seventh grade level.

The reason why the seventh grade level is so important and why you see it used in calculating literacy rates is because most newspapers and print magazines are written at a level that a seventh grader can easily read.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 837
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does illiteracy hold people back? I'd think that illiterates might find it difficult to deal with the complex issues of the day because they have not been exposed to them. And I don't think the headline approach that TV gives to the news is very informative. Public TV and NPR are the main media outlets the average person could use to be even mildly informed, and Congress has been cutting funding to them for years.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 704
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would answer this thread but I have no idea what it says or how to formulate a reply.

Besides, this web thingy is even more confusing.

Internet! What's a internet?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 5788
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Izzy - Your program is for 18-24 year old HS drop outs. This is a specific group so using a sample of this group to represent all of Detroit is not a complete representation.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 839
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does illiteracy hold back a city? I think so since illiteracy makes it hard for people to deal with the complex issues of the day. Heck, there are people who are declared literate who can't make sense of some of the news articles about the current financial mess. Public TV and NPR are two sources of information for the average person, but I think illiteracy also inclines people to not be interested or feel incapable of understanding issues.

Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, I understand that, still it is hard to ignore those type of numbers, especially when most of them dropped out in high school.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 5789
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the education and illiteracy in the city is a major issue but you are dealing with drop outs so the numbers will be skewed, potentially much higher.

I would say the numbers are believable given the population you are working with.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 453
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Public TV and NPR are two sources of information for the average person, but I think illiteracy also inclines people to not be interested or feel incapable of understanding issues."

I assure you that even most educated Detroiters don't listen to NPR. I had a master's degree when I left Detroit, and even I didn't start listening to NPR religiously until I moved to Ann Arbor. Even then, it was out of necessity. You can't function in certain social circles up here unless you're NPR literate.

Public TV is a little different. My department chairs and a lot of other Michigan faculty in my neck of the woods do not watch television and pride themselves on not even owning one. (I don't know want to know what they'd think about me having DirecTV. I'm sure I'd be judged!)

NPR and Public TV are both hallmarks of a particular socioeconomic and cultural sector of the population. Christian Lander's awesome blog, Stuff White People Like, lists NPR as an essential for the "Right Kind of White People":

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.co m/2008/01/31/44-public-radio/

Back in Detroit, we did have other means to keep up with local, national and international events. I miss things like the Mildred Gaddis show and the Michigan Citizen up here... even the first 5-10 pages of the Metro Times. I also feel as if I had more of a finger on the pulse of cutting-edge "regular people's" information and news than I do up here. Living in Midtown during the first half of the decade was like living in an awesome crucible. There was never a dull moment.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5061
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Due to funding and time restraints we can only except

Accept. Just doing my part to promote literacy.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Illiteracy as a statistic is misleading. Here's why.....

Literacy used to mean, in its basic form, can a person read and write. This standard pretty much was applied consistently through the 1980's....

Then in 1992 the US Dept of Education floated the idea of reassessing this standard

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs93/9327 5.pdf

It was performed by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). And it tested for adult literacy along three areas:

Prose
Document
Quantitative

Prose referes to reading a paragraph and interpreting meaning or extrapolation of facts.

Document means the filling out of forms common in daily use- bank forms, job applications, etc

Quantitative referred to math, especially story problems.

11 states were used in the test. They were:

California, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, New Jersey, New
York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington.

The National Center for Education Statistics provides [http://nces.ed.gov/NAAL/datafi les.asp more detail] . Literacy is broken down into three parameters: prose, document, and quantitative literacy. Each parameter has four levels: below basic, basic, intermediate, and proficient. For prose literacy, for example, a below basic level of literacy means that a person can look at a short piece of text to get a small piece of uncomplicated information; while a person who is below basic in quantitative literacy would be able to do simple addition. In the US, 43% of the adult population is at the below or basic level for prose literacy; 34% are at the below or basic level for document literacy; and 55% are at those levels for quantitative literacy. Only 13% of the population is proficient in these three areas—able to compare viewpoints in two editorials; interpret a table about blood pressure, age, and physical activity; or compute and compare the cost per ounce of food items.

This is important, because as you see, literacy as we used to know it has been pretty much eradicated. See the table in the link below.

http://nces.ed.gov/naal/lit_hi story.asp

By the old standard in 1979 .6 of the population was illiterate in 1979.

This new "functional" illiteracy has pitfalls. People can be functionally illiterate if they can balance a check book, but not do a word problem in math. A person can be a functional illiterate if they can read two opinion articles in the news paper and interpret the meaning, but not understand graph, line, or pie charts well.

The study allow admits that people who took the exam in 1992 who were over 40, fared worse than many younger persons, as their educational attainment levels were lower than under 40 persons. So a city with many seniors, would have higher rates of functional illiteracy than say a city like Ann Arbor with lots of younger residents.

A number of reasonable extrapolations can be had from this:

1) Functional illiteracy and illiteracy are not the same terms and should not be used interchangeably.

2) Michigan was not a baseline study state, so no true measurement of Michigan's literacy exists. What is derived is a socio-economic profile that extrapolates rates based on demographics..not a sampling of what was actually here.

3) Illiteracy, or Functional illiteracy, can not be blamed on the local educational system. Cities like Detroit have many residents who were not educated here. My parents were educated in different parts of the South, yet they reside here in Detroit. If the statistical extaroplation which gives Detroit its illteracy rate doesnt account for migratory patterns, or better yet, a factoring of who was actually educated herem, and by what district, you cannot blame DPS for that.

4)Given that the skills to compete in the global economy, the older you get, the more functionally illiterate you are likely to become. This applies across racial and gender lines, so that the number of septugenarians on Facebook is an inverse to the number of the same group who are "functionally illiterate.

These are my thoughts, I welcome the discourse....

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, the standards have changed.
Just like back in the 1930's a high speed police chase would reach velocities of 35 miles per hour.

Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 180
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol thanks Pam

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where I work we deal with 18-24 year old HS dropouts... So from this small sample one could argue that 75% of Detroiters cannot read at a seventh grade level.

No, you couldn't argue that.

That's like saying a vast majority of people at an AA meeting are alcoholics.

Or a large percentage of people at church on Sunday are religious.

Or most of the people in Mexico are Mexican.

Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A dropout can be defined as someone who does not complete a course of study. Therefore a student could have been forced out of the public schools because they didn't have enough credits to graduate by the time they reached the state maximum age limit of 19. By your logic CB, students choose to dropout. There are numerous reasons why the city's youth do not complete HS. At any rate however why is it that many (according to what I stated earlier 75%) of young adults that have completed grades 7-11, still unable to read above a sixth grade level??

Within a city with a graduation rate of a debatable 22%-50%, (http://ezinearticles.com/?Dism al-Drop-Out-Rates-for-Detroit- Schools&id=642244, http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080605/S CHOOLS/806050356) there are plenty of young adults in Detroit looking for a GED. Why aren't youth earning their education the first time around in High School? It is clear that there is a major problem with the current system that is in place.

(Message edited by izzyindetroit on February 22, 2009)

Miss_d_meanor

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Izzyindetroit
Wow, I'm saddened to hear that but may I ask what type of program you work for?

Zulu_warrior
A very interesting post but I must admit that initially I thought you were going to say literacy was judged by ones 'prose style.'

I'm not sure if spelling errors are all that indicative of illiteracy. Personally, I'm an absolutely atrocious speller but I'm an avid reader as well.

As a book lover it greatly saddens me that a recent survey found 1 in 4 Americans did not read a single book in the last 12 months. Man, I read 58 books last year, how can someone go an entire year without even reading one? And if that's nationwide, I shutter to think of the Detroit average. Furthermore, if illiteracy is such a problem here, I hesitate to ask what percentage of Detroiters are scientifically literate? *rant over*

(Message edited by Miss_d_meanor on February 22, 2009)

Cch
Username: Cch

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

judging from a pool of friends or family who live in detroit and/or went to DPS is almost as biased a sample as the person who works for an organization that helps high school dropouts.

additionally, there are "true" illiterates in this city and it's not just the homeless. i have friends who work in restaurants who get flippant customers every single day who hand the menu right back to them and say, "read it to me" in a haughty voice. it's not because they're too "good" to read it, it's because they can't.

and i think we can all agree that normal ten year olds can read a restaurant menu.

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we have just become a nation of morons in the last 30 years. Most people don't know anything that happened more than 6 months ago. Steve Allen, who many considered witty,said not long before he died, that [as late as the '60's,anyone who claimed to have seen a flying saucer was the neighborhood kook. Now they're the neighbors] But Detroit is by no means alone in the illiteracy boat."Life for the people who can't read, Time for the people who can't think"

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another reflection on illiteracy; as a young person, in the '60's and '70's I would occasionally encounter elderly folks that couldn't read.Someone who grew up,You know, before we spent 20,000 or so a year per student. Nowadays, the illiterates I run into are younger than I.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 683
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...as a young person, in the '60's and '70's I would occasionally encounter elderly folks that couldn't read

HI

Early 1900s. A Hampton Institute cadet reads for his grandparents, who being ex-slaves were never taught to read _ Tuskegee Institute Archives

Some Time Ago A Historical Portrait of Black Americans 1850-1900 Chester Higgins and Orde Coombs, 1980

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.