Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » In Regards to Small and Mid-Sized Designs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've had countless discussions about our favorite large tower designs we'd like to see more of here in Metro Detroit. It was also pointed out that Detroit was mostly made up of smaller high rises in the five to ten story range, and that is what we really need right now.

So, what are some good examples of these size buildings that you would like to see in the Greater Downtown Area.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand what you're asking. Do you mean buildings already in existence located elsewhere or buildings yet to be built?

Frankly, we don't need to build, we need to fill the buildings we have.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ones elsewhere, or rather just design types.

Lodgedodger, I think that filling in some of our missing teeth in our urban fabric would make for more desirable areas to live and work, which would make the others more desirable to developers. What is happening in Midtown right now is a perfect example. The Hudson's Block and the Midtown Prairie just North of Foxtown is more well-known examples.

Det_ard
Username: Det_ard

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Filling in the missing teeth in our urban fabric" would not make the existing struggling buildings more desirable. You'd simply be adding even more pressure on the existing building owners who'd have to compete against newer buildings. You'd be driving up vacancy rates and driving down $/sq. ft. due to the glut of space. That's an interesting tactic if you're playing SimCity Detroit, but a killer for the real city.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 985
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the concept of people being able to decide what style buildings other people will build.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 363
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like walkable streets lined with retail storefronts and three or four residential floors above. Very human-scaled.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 595
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I like the concept of people being able to decide what style buildings other people will build."

It's called design guidelines good sir. They exist in cities with healthy economies and high real estate demand. Cities can tell developers what to do, because they know they won't pass up the opportunity to build.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.