Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » United Way to move into First National Building! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Suburbanbliss
Username: Suburbanbliss

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to a leasing agent for the First National Building on Woodward the United Way will be moving its offices into the building once renovations are complete. This will relocate several hundred workers to the Campus Martius area. In addition Greg Mudge the "Sandwich Czar" of Mudgie's fame and Dave a bartender at Foran's Pub are investigating the Small Plate's To Go site in the building for a second Mudgie's location. All in all some good news for that building!

Detroitsky
Username: Detroitsky

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about United Way's old building? Aren't they the main tenant?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6166
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Suburbanbliss!

It may be good news for the First National Building, but isn't good news for the historic building at 1212 Griswold in Capitol Park, where the United Way is currently located.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3806
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh...

That's like driving your car to the neighbor's house.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4165
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another game of musical offices, and by a non-profit, no less. And, the cannibalization continues? Perhaps, this isn't bad news, but it's hardly worthy of a positive exclamation point, though, I do appreciate the Northern Group's intensity.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the economic conditions that are currently upon us, you can get much better offices for less money.

Given Capitol Park or Campus Martius for the same price or less, and I'd take Campus Martius any day.

Capitol Park definitely is going to need some love (I think that's in the Detroit stimulus plan), and it'll be great when the buses move to a proper terminus. The new place looks great, will provide better protection from the elements for riders, and re-open Capitol Park for new possibilities.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 522
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too can't wait for the DDOT and SMART transfers to be moved to the new Rosa Parks facility, and I really hope the city is already making at least moderate plans to do some work in Capitol Park. To me, I can see that as being a really cool "zone" within downtown, all those old buildings fixed up surrounding the park, with stores on the main floor and lofts and apartments above, with the occasional office structure mixed in. The city would do good to repair the ornamental lighting, get rid of the old brown rectangular traffic light frames, and generally do some clean up work on the monuments and landscaping. I hope they aren't planning on chopping down all the trees, though. By no means are any of them monsters, but I enjoy how many of the trees are larger than small saplings unlike some other places downtown. They do provide good shade in the summer!

Once the park gets cleaned up a bit, hopefully that'll attract some businesses and loft creators to some of those excellent buildings on Griswold and Shelby.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in a loft in Capitol Park tonight thinking about the possibilities there. It has the potential to be a complete neighborhood around a beautiful park.

As for the United Way move... meh.

Foodandwine
Username: Foodandwine

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the city through the DEGC and some private partnerships tried to do that type of project with the area formerly known as Harmonie Park. You can judge thr results.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 798
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J_to_the_jeremy,
rennovations to Capitol Park will start this summer after the move of the bus shelters. The rest is up to the building owners. As for the details of what the plans are, I have no idea.

Gistok

Post Number: 6170
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were 2 things that I always thought would be cool for Capitol Park once the bus stop was removed....

1) bring the Merrill Fountain back downtown and install it in the triangular shaped park (without disturbing the trees). In early 20th century photos there was a round fountain in the middle of the park. That's why the Merrill Fountain (much more ornate) would be a perfect fit.

2) recreating the wooden old State Capitol/Territorial Court House....

In 1828 the Territorial Courthouse was built on the site of the park, and in 1837 it became the State Capitol, until it (the Capital, not Capitol) was moved to Lansing in 1847.

If they can re-create the Governor's Palace at Williamsburg VA, then they could recreate the old State Capitol, a white clapboard Greek Revival wooden structure with a columned front and a steeple behind it.

The original State Capitol burned down in 1893 as Detroit Central High School. Of course the old 1828 building was reconstructed in brick and stone in a High Victorian style long before it burned down.

But a "faux" wood reconstruction of the old State Capitol would be cool!

(Message edited by Gistok on February 23, 2009)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2404
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I notice from the time of your post Gistock that the bars just closed. Lowell might want to consider a breathalyzer interlock feature on the new layout.

Just a thought

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4168
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How unnecessary. You just can't help yourself, can you?

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The united way previously owned their building. In a move by the united way to reduce ownership costs/ free up cash, sold their building last summer to a developer. So since then they have been looking to move. Last summer their direction was looking at the new center area but I guess that has changed since I found out the previous info.

Gistok

Post Number: 6171
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's OK, Gnome and I know each other from last summers picnic... he can't help being a cantancerous old fart... :-) Too bad he can't spell "Gistok" though...

Actually though, I'm not a drinker, else I would have shown up frequently for some of the FSC functions. In fact the last time I was in a bar was for a FSC club meeting 1 1/2 years ago, where I first met Plymouthres, Royce, Sharmaal and Jams (Kathleen & hubby I'd met several times).

(Message edited by Gistok on February 23, 2009)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew you'd laugh Gistok, ... I'm working on my spelling, can't promise a big improvement anytime soon.

Didn't the old Capital Building burn down after it had been turned into a high school?

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building United Way is in now was built in 1895 by Spiers and Rohn. It was our tallest building for a year at 13 stories, and is our oldest remaining "skyscraper". I'm excited to see what the Roxbury Group does with it.

I always call Capitol Park the red-headed step-child of Detroit redevlopment:-)It will now finally get its due.
The renderings for Capitol Park are very cool and that area will definitley be awesome in the next couple years.

There are about just over 100 employees at United Way and THAW is also in that building...I'm not sure what they're going to do actually.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 697
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

renderings?

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with French, were are the renderings?

Stromberg2

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Comerica "give" them their current building?

Gistok

Post Number: 6173
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, I believe that you are correct. That building was used as a training center for Comerica as late as the 1970's.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully an outside company buying an old building in downtown with plans doe snot turn into another Book Building. We don't need another closed building in downtown.

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There will will be luxury condo in the david stot building in capitol park...hopefully the consider Ritz Carlton hotel & residence as a potential tenant. Could be a luxury area downtown, in rival of Westin Book Cadillac Hotel & Residence. Renovate and restore capitol park and surrounding buildings ....it could be a designation spot for tourist?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3808
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Until the economy picks up, the only thing I'm worried about is the survival of Michigan (and especially Metro Detroit), let along dream projects.

If downtown can't even lure a McDonalds, what makes you think it could lure a Ritz-Carlton or Crowne Plaza?

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In another thread I bitterly complained about the DEGC and asked what they have done other than streetscaping and demolition, and was reprimanded with "Book Cadillac" and "Fort Shelby". Well, let me take a step back from my bitterness and try to be fairer with it.

The DEGC "knows", I think, that residence is what drives a city, but for some reason they turn to demolition often. They need people living in buildings. Luxury condos are great, but affordable apartments are what are needed, especially for a successful Harmonie Park OR Capitol Park. The decades of attempts to make Harmonie Park into an arts district would be helped by filling in the surface parking lots with four or five floor apartment buildings, and a residential conversion all the same for Capitol Park.

If the DEGC really got its minds cooking it would propose something bold for the CBD to increase residence. What if living within 375, 75, and The Lodge without a car resulted in a free transit pass for all busses, the People Mover, and the potential future streetcar? What if they lured Honey Bee to open a branch in the CBD to foster the desirability of carlessness there? What if the closed Avis location was replaced with Zipcar, with discounts for those living in the CBD? At the same time, move the paint around on most of the downtown streets to add lanes for bikes. If people could live downtown without needing a car, it would become possible to rehab the old buildings without requiring a garage for each. This would be the only hope for many buildings.

That's a tangent. I don't hate the DEGC, but they have a strong demolition mindset and I wouldn't be surprised if they went after the Farwell building to become a gravel lot after the busses move out.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good points about residency in downtown, Hunchentoot. The practice of wanting to convert these old buildings into luxury condos needs to stop. How many good people are being priced out of these developments because the developer wants the units sold as high-end condos?

I know that developers try to recoup their costs by charging what they charge, but having a college student or a recent college grad living in a unit in a previous vacant building and paying $600 a month seems to me to be much more desireable than just letting the building sit vacant.

The mentality that downtown Detroit or even the riverfront HAS TO command expensive rents is self-defeating. We're not NYC, LA, DC, or Chicago. Having people fill vacant buildings downtown and and having people walk downtown streets, creating an environment of commerce and safety, is more valuable IMO than charging a lawyer $2000 a month for a condo.

Practicality and feasibility should be the mantra of building owners and developers who want to develop vacant buildings in Detroit. The economy should also be an indicator towards what should be done regarding residential development in Detroit. So far, what has been going on doesn't seem to be working that well. It's way passed the time to start looking at Detroit a little differently.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.