Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Old Third Street Saloon? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed lights on in the old Third Street Saloon (which closed a couple years ago) on several occasions, and the "for sale" signs are no longer up. Is anyone aware of something happening in this space? It would be fantastic to have a business here again.

Boy do I miss that half-off pizza!

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tuesday nights were the best!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i liked thursday nights with brad hales and the short-lived back patio.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Lou? Spider-web tatoos? Raspy voice...

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3562
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started drinking there in 1989. God I loved that place. I used to think it was there forever, but I checked old records and couldn't find mention of it before, say, 1985.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best pizza in the D, My dog Farns was welcome there, and they let me and my kid play pool even though it was a bar.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly the lights you saw were probably scrappers removing the copper or metal left inside. I noticed three places on Cass and the surrounding area this weekend that were being stripped recently.

If you're talking about the place across from the liquor store I believe that was one of them.

Original63
Username: Original63

Post Number: 494
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly the lights you saw were probably scrappers removing the copper or metal left inside. I noticed three places on Cass and the surrounding area this weekend that were being stripped recently.

Damm somebody call the cops, that place was not in bad shape at all. Tax issues closed it down not structural problems. No pipes could alter rehab plans for the ole girl.

Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...try calling them and see what happens. Every time I call and say "hey I got one in the act" they just laugh, or I get some smart ass who's all like...

"Copper pipes, yeah because we have time between all the murders and rapes to get right on that"

The police in this town still fail to realize that scrapping IS THE BIGGEST problem Detroit has to deal with outside of political corruption.

Good luck guys

Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like when we found these Mofo's @ FB21...

http://vimeo.com/2638036

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, Big_baby_jebus; anyone who suggests that we "call the cops" about such a thing has never actually lived in Detroit.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 993
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well they caught some people at the Arnold Home. Probably only because it was a news crew who called though. Don't want to look bad in the media, you know.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 555
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P; '...anyone who suggests that we "call the cops" about such a thing has never actually lived in Detroit..."
And that is a major problem. A friend grew frustrated after calling the cops several days in a row about scrappers in his neighborhood. Finally, he confronted two guys with a shopping cart full of aluminum gutters, copper, and a piece of porch cover across the street, pulled out his Glock, and they ran like rats. Now, he had no idea what to do with the stolen stuff, but felt good about making a momentary statement to the thieves. Of course, later someone else "claimed" the booty.
Step One in reclaiming Detroit:
Stop Crime, period.

Birdie

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hope it's not scrappers...

the lights have been on only sporadically, though, and only over the past three weeks or so.

also, the for sale sign is down...maybe it has sold?

Bobl

Post Number: 558
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The part of that building facing Forest was once a laundromat. Would a combination laundromat/bar/pool hall/game room work there?

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize until reading this thread, but I really miss Third Street Saloon. I used to spend a lot of Wednesday nights there with friends and family for the open stage jazz nights, mostly full of young WSU music students. I had one downright magical evening there.

Alexander72
Username: Alexander72

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came to Detroit ,from N.Y.C. in 1968...In 1971 I got lost and found the Bronx bar. I met this guy named John Konarjewsky. He asked me if I'd ever been to the J.C. bar.The next day I tried the J.C. It was run by Jerry and Ginger ,who lived at 664 Prentis . Beer was 25 cents .So was wine . They had no liquor license.They couldn't get it because they were too close to the church across the street.My first day there I met about 20 people who are all my best friends still today. We are spread out now all over the country but ,the Dally in the alley is our reunion.I remember sitting there one day when a Mustang drove thru the front door. The J.C. lasted till about 1976 give or take 2 years ( dOPE SMOKING HIPPY). In the mean time ,over on Cass ,next door to the now Cass cafe,was the Song Shop Saloon. (around 1980 D.S.H.)It was purchased by Pat and Dave Briggs. This joint was real small and Packed every night. Bobby McDonald used to play there nightly along with every no-name band and who ever felt like playing. It lasted a couple years.Pat and Dave got booted out of there and were out of business for about 1 year Before they resurected the J.C. bar ...Third Street Saloon. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
text/plainJ.C.Bar
CPUInfo.txt (0.1 k)

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's being remodeled and opening up as Third Street again. Should be open in May or June. The inside is all wood and looks awesome! I'm excited. I miss Third Street too.

Birdie

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jhartmich, you just made my day! i can't wait. summer will be even better with third street open!

Bobl

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexander72: Did you ever get into the DelRio Bar, half a block up Third Street then?
Older down and outers would play "Those Were The Days" by Mary Hopkins on the jukebox ceaselessly. Beer was a quarter, Bugler tobacco 11 cents, the stories were free.

Alexander72

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobl,
The laundromat stood alone next door to third street and was orig. a drive thru car wash .The bar owned the building .The city of Detroit tore it down by mistake.My understanding was that the bar was compensated for the error.
Yeah, I remember the Del Rio. There was a BIG guy behind the bar .I don't remember his name. I do however remember his weapon of choice. It was a prominatly displayed baseball bat. If you could see over the bar, you could get served in that joint. In fact ,half the people I met ,back in those days were kids ,15 and up. The same in the old J.C. bar .Along with the Bronx ,T^hey were the three friendliest bars in town . Bobl...Do you remember Georges bronx bar when the floor was covered with peanut shells?
text/plaindel rio
CPUInfo.txt (0.1 k)

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news! I hope someone tracks down the woman who used to make the pizzas and bring her back too!

Alexander72

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iris Elliot...she would go back there in a heartbeat. I know ,cause she said so. Maybe the new owners will get in touch with her.It was all about Iris' Pizza.
text/plainiris pizza
CPUInfo.txt (0.1 k)

Bobl

Post Number: 574
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A: "Do you remember Georges bronx bar when the floor was covered with peanut shells?"
No, but I was there in the 1968-1970 period. Maybe I just don't remember. Peanut shells on the floor do remind me of the original Tap Room, though.

Django

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iris was her name, thank you Alex. I was trying to remember. I would kill for one of her pizzas right now. Artichoke hearts, garlic and bacon, cooked extra crispy. MMMmmmmmmmmmmm.

Alexander72

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOnono Django......Ham,Pineapple&Basil
text/plainIris at her best
CPUInfo.txt (0.1 k)

Django

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, wish I would have known they had basil, nice touch on the Hawaiian.

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt they will need Iris. The new owners are having a Taco Truck (actually Cuban food) with a pass-thru window. Kind of a neat idea. There is no kitchen in the renovation. The bathrooms are where the kitchen use to be.

Birdie

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TACO TRUCK?!?!?!?!?!

i wish it was may or june right now.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh, i never thought the pizza there was any good

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3584
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the burgers. They were even better than at the (dear departed) Ramp Room.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 682
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big_baby_jebus - wouldn't it have been great to have a trash bag full of water balloons handy when that happened?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.