Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Cleaners and Dyers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In historical accounts of Detroits gangster and labor history, Cleaners and Dyers are often mentioned. Does anyone who visits this site have any memories of them? Were they predominately industrial cleaners that cleaned work uniforms and towels-cloths much like Cintas and other modern laundry companies? Ive came across several buildings, cant remember the exact locations, one was around 14th and Myrtle or thereabouts, that could have been laundries. Do any of you know where some cleaners and dyers were located?t

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5338
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://markgribben.com/?page_i d=31

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there was the infamous Cleaners and Dyers Wars during the 20's involving The Purple Gang.

I suspect Jjaba could be helpful on this thread.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cleaners

The 1928 Detroit City Directory listings for Cleaners and Dyers begins here and continues on the next couple of pages under the heading of "Clothes Pressers, Cleaners and Repairers".

Terryh

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive read the Malefactor page lilpup thanks...thanks Mikeg....The Purple Gang book has a chapter devoted to the Cleaners and Dyers war.. I come across articles every now and again in the microfilm room of the DPD...

Terryh

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to click on the pdf format to get a clear pic...they were scattered all over the city..wonder which locations were involved played a role in the cleaners and dyers war..there is a building around Martin Luther King and 14th? If I remember correctly that may have been a cleaner and dyers...thanks again for the links...

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mikeg: I followed the links a little, but I'm very interested in the collection from which you pulled that decades-old Polk Directory. Is there a catalog or searchable data base? Any info is much appreciated.

Mikeg

Post Number: 2246
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1928 Detroit Polk Directory is searchable from here. It is included in the University of Michigan Library's Digital General Collection, which consists of 28,378 volumes of books from the University of Michigan collection, scanned for preservation purposes.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loeren Estleman has a bit of history on the Cleaners and Dyers Wars in his novel Whiskey River. One of his Novels of Detroit.

Pretty sure this is the right title.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2410
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, great link, thanks for posting it.

I wonder if the Charles Jacoby mentioned in the article was related to the Jacoby family that ran the resturant.

(Message edited by gnome on February 24, 2009)

Mikeg

Post Number: 2247
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder if the Charles Jacoby mentioned in the article was related to the Jacoby family that ran the resturant.

There appears to be no connection between this Charles Jacoby and the founder of Jacoby's Biergarten. Jacoby's was begun in 1904 by Albert Jacoby, who was a native of Luxemburg.

According to US Census records, Charles C. Jacoby was born in Budapest, Hungary in 1899. He spoke German and came to the USA in 1900. In 1919 he married Ida (Bernstein?), who was born in Poland, emigrated in 1904 and was also 20 yrs old at the time of their marriage. In 1930, Charles' occupation is listed as a "Manager - Cleaners & Dyers" and the family lived at 2981 Cortland Ave. with their son Bernard (9 yrs.) and daughter Shirley (4 yrs.).

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 413
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More "Purple Gang" news...Paul Kavieff, author of the Arcadia Publishing title "Detroit's Infamous Purple Gang" will be at the Dossin Museum on March 3 from 6-8 p.m.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ronaldj, Estleman's novel was indeed titled "Whiskey River".

It was his first of several historical fiction novels about Detroit. I recommend them all to anyone who enjoys reading about Detroit's past.

Another good series of Estleman's is the Amos Walker Mysteries, all set in Detroit, in the present days.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was this Ida (Bernstein?) related to the Bernstein Brothers, i.e. Abe, Joey, Ray, and Isadore? I've read they had three sisters(one of whom, I believe was named Ida) as well.

Terryh

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly from the Kavieff book chapter on the cleaners and dyers war, Jacoby was a Bernstein brother n law.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.