Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Soupy Sales « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im a former Detroiter living in Utah....yesterday afternoon I was channel surfing and what did I find? Soupy Sales....what a treat. I guess they must be syndicating his LA based show. I grew up with Soupy on Channel 7 in Detroit...ran home most days to have lunch with him and his gang. The show I saw yesterday wss on an obscure indy station in the SLC area. I laughed at his nonsensical comedy bits with White Fang, Black Tooth and Pookie. Not sure if this is running in Detroit, but what a thrill to see him.

Rsmack
Username: Rsmack

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember how there was always knock at the door and he would answer and some sort of silly nonsense would go on. Well once on his birthday the crew hired a woman to knock on the door nude. WOW he didn't know what to do just speechless. This was live TV too. Of course this only came out years after he was off the air.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember my Soupy Sales TV moments to this day

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soupy words of wisdom

"Ignore your teeth and they will go away"
so boys and girls brush your teeth.

That is the only one I remember, not that it helped my teeth. Anyone have any more?

I had my birthday mentioned by Willy the Worm, used to live in the trailer on his lunch table. Of course he mangled the Polish last name but it was close enough.

and eat the crust on the bread!

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be true to your teeth or they'll be false to you

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on a previous post there is a pic of the nude lady knocking on the door.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 965
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The syndicated New Soupy Sales Show aired in Detroit on WXON TV20 in 1979. They taped 13 weeks of shows featuring Soupy and Clyde Adler, the original White Fang and Black Tooth.

You can read about the famous naked lady and see the clip on my website.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ naked_soupy.htm

The original White Fang and Black Tooth puppets, along with other Soupy memorabilia from my collection, will be on display at the Detroit Historical Museum, beginning March 14. The show runs thru the Summer and also features memorabilia and photos from Bill Bonds, Bill Kennedy, John Kelly and Marilyn Turner, Emery King and Amyre Makupson.
http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/main/dhm/upcoming_exhibits_ details.aspx?ID=24

Switchmanjim
Username: Switchmanjim

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ed, that clip is just too funny. Tears.

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up about the exhibit at the DHM ... I bet a lot of Motown boomers will want to see that.

I can't believe you've got the original puppets from Soupy's show!

Chiclette
Username: Chiclette

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad that my ex-Grandfather inlaw "Captain Jolly" is not in this. He was a wonderful man. He wrote a book about his life to give to each family member to have & I'll pass it down to his Great Grandchildren with the kindest of words. He passed away in Arizona when my children were still young so they don't remember him.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3727
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question???

Can anyone here still do the Soupy Shuffle?

One of my 66-year-old friends can still do it like when she was a teenager!

Gotta love Soupy!

Thanks Ed!

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Him and Joe Gentile did well on radio.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie, I can still do the Soupy Shuffle! Woo hoo!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3730
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Right Dodger! Way to go! - I never was coordinated enough to learn it in the first place! Two left feet here...

Ed_golick

Post Number: 966
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chiclette,
Captain Jolly has not been forgotten.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ toby_david.htm

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hugs to you, Ed_golick.

Alexander72
Username: Alexander72

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in New Jersey ,I watched soop every day.There was one segment he did ,that no one I talk to in Detroit seems to remember.The guy was a private eye. The skit was called "The misadventures of Phylo Kevetch" .Who remembers? WAS THE BANANA CREAM JOKE TRUE ?
text/plainbanana cream
CPUInfo.txt (0.1 k)
text/plainsoup
CPUInfo.txt (0.1 k)

Chiclette

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Ed he didn't make the list on the Detroit Historical Society. He did a lot for children.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chiclette--his son (a middle school math teacher of mine) is a good man, too.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 967
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexander,
The Philo Kvetch sketches were created for the mid 60s syndicated show in NYC.

Here's the lowdown on the risque jokes. Soupy swears up and down that it never happened, but truth be told, it did. When his show was live, and seen only in Detroit, a lot of dirty stuff was snuck in. When he left Detroit and became national he couldn't do that kind of material anymore.

Chiclette,
Toby David, by far, did more for the children of Detroit than any other TV personality. Gerry David told me that every Saturday, after visiting the terminally ill leukemia patients at Bons Secours , his dad would come home, go to his den and close the door for about an hour. One day Gerry decided to find out what dad was doing in the den after his hospital visits. He was crying for the dying children and needed that hour to wind down.

The Detroit Historical Society has limited space and room for only one kid show guy in the exhibit, and Soupy won out.

Chiclette

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was sweet Ed, I have tears in my eyes thinking back of him & his wife Ginny.
Good people.
Thank you.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milt Supman was/is a cool guy.

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I went to a show with Soupy Sales in Southgate many years ago. He did his nightclub act which was very funny. At the very end, he mentioned White Fang, Blacktooth and the others and the place went wild. We left with tears in our eyes from laughter.
As a kid in the mid 50's I ran home to have lunch with him almost every day.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was about 5 years old, I went to kindergarten at the Avondale Elementary school in Inkster. My mother was in charge of some kind of function for the school and she contacted Soupy at Channel 7 to see his availability to make an appearance. HE SAID YES!!! Don't have any idea what kind of money they paid, but here's the best part. He wanted the check up front so we went to his house. I remember walking in (it was a duplex or some kind of multifamily on Schaeffer (spelling?)
He and his wife and baby were there.....we stayed for 10 minutes and they couldn't have been nicer. On the day of his appearance at the school my mom met him and took him to the teacher's lounge. In that room.......Soupy Sales taught me the Soupy Shuffle....yep, right there in that room....a private lesson. I don't remember much else other than how cordial he was to everyone.......what an experience.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 971
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Local kids show hosts weren't paid much by their employers. They made more by doing personal appearances. For example, WWJ paid Milky the Clown 50 bucks a week. The exception to the rule was Soupy. His starting salary at WXYZ was 200 bucks a week. When he left Detroit in 1960 his paycheck had jumped to $100,000 a year

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.