Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » George Clooney filming at DTW today « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Marianewtothed
Username: Marianewtothed

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know about the taping of a movie called Up In The Air at Metro Airport? I hear they're filming today; George Clooney is in town...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3713
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going by the plot summary, it sounds like Metro is going to be featured quite a bit in the film...

Plot summary for Up in the Air (2009)

A professional who specializes in "career transition counseling" (a euphemism for firing people) looks to accomplish his two main goals in life: to accumulate 1 million frequent flier miles, and to land a job at a mysterious management company called MythTech.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt11 93138/

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was at Noble Fish they were looking for Japanese men for extras

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed a posting on Craigslist saying that they were looking to rent a convertible for filming.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's going to be filming most of it at Lambert Airport (where they filmed part of "The Lucky Ones") in St. Louis. They were casting extras last month.

[quote]Clooney will play a constantly traveling, unapologetic corporate downsizer. Variety reports that as the Clooney character's life falls apart, he is on a mission to collect 1 million frequent flyer miles. The movie is based on a novel of the same name by Walter Kirn.[/quote]

http://www.stltoday.com/stltod ay/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscit ycounty/story/58AE1B19D99EB9AD 86257528004FD5A1?OpenDocument

[quote]Some filming will also be done in Miami and Las Vegas, but the bulk of shooting will be in St. Louis. [/quote]
No mention of Detroit, though.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot to add:

[quote]J. Kim Tucci of the St. Louis Film Office estimates the movie could have an economic impact of up to $50 million for the region.[/quote]

http://www.stltoday.com/stltod ay/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscit ycounty/story/58AE1B19D99EB9AD 86257528004FD5A1?OpenDocument

Even if most of the filming is in St. Louis, this movie should be good for Detroit, too.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 488
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure they're using the empty terminal. I heard they still have the counters there and they wouldn't have to worry about anyone but extras.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't George Clooney supposed to come to Detroit in the near future to film a sequal to "Out of Sight"?

I could have sworn that I read last year where Elmore Leonard was working with the director's to write a script for the movie, which was to be shot, at least partially in the D.

On a side note, I've also heard that Clooney likes Detroit because we treated him well in the past and he also likes an underdog. Detroit is truely an underdog.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.