Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » New bookie's to open in wasteland behind Fox etc? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any info on this? Drove by today and it looked like the one building in the area that was being rehabbed now sports a Bookie's sign.

Chiclette
Username: Chiclette

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the late 70's bookies was a punk bar on 6 mile.

Lowereast
Username: Lowereast

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Bookies should be opening soon. I am not sure of the exact date, but the new place will have three levels (including a roof top deck) and full menu. I cant wait to have it back...but I'll miss the old Book Tower location.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're looking at being open next weekend. It's absolutely amazing inside, stone bars, 3 levels, a rooftop deck that is as large as their last location. Plus a full menu of all sorts of yummy things.
Also, while it is surrounded by parking lots, it is not in a wasteland. There are 4 awesome bars within a fe blocks (Cliff Bell's, Park Bar, Centaur and Town Pump).

It's last location only had Big City and Nick's Gaslight nearby.

It'll be the same Bookies but just bigger and better.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So which building is Bookies going into?

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 532
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one...

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.c om/2009/01/thorn-in-ilitchs-si de.html

Lowereast
Username: Lowereast

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie, thanks for the opening information! I cant wait!! That end of downtown is sure turning into a great cluster of bars :-)

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 570
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chiclette, there's no connection between the two Bookies. The original burned down years ago and is a vacant lot. Did you go there?

Chiclette

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I did Dannyv. Then we would go to the "old" Clutch cargos in downtown Detroit near the old Hudson building. You?

Dannyv

Post Number: 572
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to see the Romantics, John Cale, XTC, Lene Lovich, the Contortions, maybe others at Bookie's. I don't think I ever went to Clutch Cargo's until it moved to Pontiac. I was an eastsider at the time and spent more time with friends at Lili's. Sludgedaddy was a fixture there.

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

XTC?!?!?!?!?!? i can't even begin to imagine the glory of seeing XTC live, especially since Partridge supposedly stopped touring because of stage fright.

Sounds awesome. i'm jealous.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Cocaine must be selling well for a renovation such as that.

Chiclette

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember anyone I saw there. I just remember there was this bondage place next to it & this guy kept trying to get me to come in & being 21 or 22 I was scared.
Wasn't bookies near Menjos?
I remember the old Clutch Cargos (It was a dive but very big) & this new unknown guy by the name of Billy Idol appeared & they booed him. He was too Hollywood for a raunchy punk bar. Some girl from an England Newspaper was there & snapped a photo of me sitting in the bathroom sink putting on my lipstick. I wish I had that photo. Oh the fun of our youth.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Emuaaron! XTC is one of my all-time favorite bands. Of course I was in diapers when they quit touring, so I have no regrets, but much respect to Dannyv!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Leland_Palmer, for the info and photos. It's been a while since I've been over there (it's near where I usually park for Tigers games). Will check it out soon.

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bookies and Menjos on 6 mile were seperated by a parking lot....Menjos is still there and I think it was the early 80's that Bookies turned into a drag bar named the Pink Flamingo...I went there for a few shows, great interior space in that building

Dannyv

Post Number: 573
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EMUaaron and Waymooreland, The XTC Bookie's show was in support of the Drums And Wires album. The performance was excellent and they had some sort of lightshow of parallel black and white horizontal bars going on.

For the Black Sea album, they toured in support of the Police at the Masonic Auditorium. I've often wondered about Andy Partridge's stage fright because when the Police did an encore, Andy Partridge came out on stage, applied shaving cream to Sting's face and shaved it, all done while they were performing. I understand the Dukes of Stratosphear recordings are being re-released soon.

Dannyv

Post Number: 574
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I imagine the punksters saw Billy Idol as a pop star opportunist who dumped his former band, Generation X, to go out on his own.

A pretty girl trussed up is still a pretty girl.

Chiclette

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pink Flamingo thats a drag bar that I went to was in Pontiac.

Chiclette

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv, if I had a little winking dudette I would send one your way.

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pink Flamingo is still in Pontiac. However Bookies in Detroit on 6 mile was indeed purchased back in the 80's and turned into a drag bar called tThe Pink Flamigo

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 950
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the building that housed bookies was originally frank gagen's supper club. in the early seventies in was gagen's which was a drag club. 1978 is when it became bookies. it burned down in the late 80's.

http://www.bookiesclub870.com/ history.html

Dannyv

Post Number: 576
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes the imagination is better than the reality, in fact, most of the time, Chiclette.

Chiclette

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a Great flash back Rsa, thank you!
mmmmm Iggy, love him.

Chiclette

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<wink>

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my older brother found out I went to Bookies with my girlfriends I thought he was going to kill me! We followed some guys there we met at Lili's. We thought we were pretty cool hanging out at Lili's and all but when we saw the crowd at Bookies it was a real eye opening!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.