Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » George's Bronx Bar « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alexander72
Username: Alexander72

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has been said,"If you have never been barred from the Bronx bar,you didn't belong" Like if you remember the sixty's...has been said,"If you have never been barred from the Bronx bar,you didn't belong" Like if you remember the sixty's.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 570
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bronx Bar deserves a thread. Greetings to Charlene (sp?)
I'll start with a positive remark on the jukebox, which is a good one.
I once wrote a short story that included that fine establishment. A more accomplished writer could pen a novel about the bar and its patrons.

Marshall
Username: Marshall

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived for a while at 633 Prentis in the late 60's and early 70's - and the Bronx was the place to be. I remember the jukebox and the pool table well!

The Fifth Estate was located accross the street next to what was the Ho Ho Inn at the time.

(Message edited by marshall on February 26, 2009)

Bobl

Post Number: 571
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marsall:
I lived at 683 Prentis, before moving to Forest Arms, around that time. The Ho Ho Inn was the place to be after the bars closed! They stayed open until 4:00 AM.
Do you remember Tabu? I wonder how that person's story ended.

Marshall
Username: Marshall

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Bobl!

Oh Yeah do I remember Tabu. For a while he lived in the basement of 633 too. Wow, I haven't heard that name in a loooong time!

There was also a wannabe Hell's Angel named Loser who for a time livedin the basement apartment accross from me. Our door was off the alley behind the Ho Ho and there were 2 basement apartments. Ours was in front closer to Prentis.

(Message edited by marshall on February 26, 2009)

Bobl

Post Number: 572
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wannabe H.A. later found that news of his colors had spread. Had to make a quick exit.
Tabu's behavior grew increasingly bizzare, but was still in the area years later.
I worked at Henry's Drugs, at the corner of Third and Forest.
The Bronx was the first bar that I frequented, using fake ID. Those were interesting times!

(Message edited by Bobl on February 26, 2009)

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I frequented the Bronx in the early seventies when I first returned to Detroit from my Peace Corps days. I met a lot of friends who are friends to this day. George was a classic bar owner short squat and balding.

He was skin flint on mixed drinks. A shot was a measured to the line shot, so no regular ordered his watery mixed drinks, just bought pitchers of cheap beer. I was always surprised he never figured out the basics of making money on spirits.

The pool table was a popular place in the back. Lay your quarter down to hold your turn.

I also remember Tabu too, quite a character, intelligent but explosive. I remember someone made fun of his wig once putting it his own head. Tabu had to be pulled off him or he would have been dead or hospitalized. He might have been a transvestite, but he was no one to mess with.

"Ah, those were the days."

Bobl

Post Number: 573
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L: I got along with Tabu well. Sold some makeup to him at the drugstore from time to time. In conversation, I mentioned that I liked French Impressionist art. He later brought in a print of "Luncheon Of The Boating Party" and gave a detailed explanation of who each character represented. Apparently, Renoir included many of his acquaintances in that piece.
Tabu preferred that genre to what he called the "Post Industrialist Expressionism" that many Cass Corridor artists were creating then.
Now, back to the Bronx Bar......

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2901
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We lived next door at 4470 Second in 1968-70. Oddly, I never went into the Bronx Bar, but I sure remember the patrons coming out after 2 am and rolling over the the HoHo, from whence they issued about 4:30 AM with much ado, and many door slams.

Alexander72
Username: Alexander72

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I first saw him ...in the J.C. Bar ,I thought he was just an ugly woman with a deep voice ....Sub gum won ton was my choice after closing the Bronx....Indian Joe was living in the basement apartment in 71. I lived in the R%osemary 656.
text/plaintabu
CPUInfo.txt (0.1 k)

Bobl

Post Number: 575
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G: Well, the few times I "rolled over" to the HO Ho from Bronx I never once slammed a door. Walked home.
Did anyone hear the story of the night a live chicken got loose and ran amok throughout the Ho Ho dining area?
Thinking of visiting the Bronx this weekend and having a beer well poured by Charlene.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 738
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Charlene:
"How ya doin today Charlene?"
"I feel like shit, honey, what did you expect?"

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we are straying around the neighborhood... Some time after HoHo's went out of business some locals, a bunch of my corridorite friends from the Fifth Estate / anarchos / artist / bohemians decided to form a counter-culture type social club. So I joined with what became the Grinning Duck Club and go the lease on the Ho Ho. It was great place but a few of the anarchos got a bug in their rears about "landlord" exploitation and the club had to move. So off it went to infamous former Willis Show bar, a dank box by comparison.

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Bronx!

Bobl

Post Number: 582
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any interest in having a "welcome to the revival of Forest Arms" party at the Bronx, when the restoration begins in earnest?
When a burned shell of a piece of Detroit architecture is restored rather than bulldozed, I believe that some celebratory drinks (well poured by Charlene) are in order!

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I first saw the title of this thread, I figured that it couldn't be talking about the Bronx bar we frequented in the Corridor back in the 70's. I haven't looked it up for years and assumed it had closed. Me and some other buds who lived down on Prentis went there all the time. Only thing is that during those heavy drinking days, I have only foggy memories of it now. The place I really remembered was the old Circa 1890 (not the remodeled one). That's the place where I remembered the juke box (with the Boblo boat pic in it) and the more unusual records (including the German song "Lili Marleen" - the old Marlene Dietrich classic that some guy played every time we went in, and "Never On Sunday" being sung in Greek). Anyway, glad to know some of the old haunts are still around.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 926
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bronx of today has no resemblance to the bronx of yesteryear, other than the building. The clientele are hipsters, the room way too dark and the drinks are all 'martinis'. I'm not surprised if the hipsters order their beer in 'martini' glasses. I go in periodically, and it just doesn't ring of a neighborhood joint anymore. That's okay if they're doing well and present another option to the downtown scene. George, like him or not, was a real character. We ofen spoke away from the Bronx. He indicated he was ready to sell the Bronx on a number of occasions. I knew better and assumed they'd carry him out of there in a box. They did. One night I was hitting downtown joints with friends. I got a call from a neighborhood friend. She said, 'they took George out of there'. Just as we'd speculated. RIP George,

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot for the life of me figure out why, in this age of D.U.I. hysteria, there are so few neighborhood bars. It seems to me that every corner would have one. Also the death of the hotel lounge vexes me. You're at your house,and there's a bar there(or was there 20 years ago)you don't have to drive, and there were Eagle snacks. People do not want bars or restaurants in their neighborhoods. I'd be happy if a guy opened a bar/rest.right next door to me.

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of young "hipsters" there (mostly from the neighborhood though, I think), but I've never seen anyone drink a martini at the Bronx, and I would be shocked if I did.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 806
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bronx is a great place. I love how dark it is it reminds me of the neighborhood bars in my home town. I love the misunderstanding of what a hipster is, its just one of those words that old/uncool people throw around as a group they don't like because of their perceived coolness. I have never seen a martini at the Bronx, and it is largely a neighborhood joint, most of the people I have met there live or have lived near by. I have never seen a hipster with a martini either. A total lack of understanding and something people can aim their hate at. Places were great before... yuppies, scene kids, hipsters, emo trash, etc showed up. LOL.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 950
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you should mention it, the term 'hipster' as I used it, was thrown out at me as a description of certain age people by 20 and 30 year olds. My friends and I had not really used the term until we heard 20 and 30 year olds using it themselves to describe their peers.

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to the Bronx at least a dozen times and have never observed anything fancier than beer or shots consumed. The beer is cheap!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.