Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » Help DetroitYes! I need some open doors! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello DetroitYes

We Michiganders have begun to thaw. With that in mind, I want to start scheduling my book signing events. If anyone has any connections that you’re willing to share, please steer me in that direction. I certainly will appreciate all the help I can get.

Motown Girl Sister Golden Hair was released late in the year of 2008. With the economy’s plummet and the frozen ground, I decided to wait for spring to promote my latest release.

My books are self-published, which I have learned the hard way that self-publishing puts an automatic “door slam in your face” from the big-gun bookstores.

A very fine publishing house offered to publish Motown Girl Sister Golden Hair, and also expressed a desire to re-publishing book # 1- Shadows And Scars. I refused their offer because they wanted to chop my books to pieces, by editing things out of my books that were very important to me, and I will not allow that. Not to mention, my books are a series, and subjects from the previous books eventually connect in each new book. I have gotten an awful lot of support from those that have read the books, and I am committed to the success of the series.

I have chosen a different self-publishing house for book # 2 - Motown Girl Sister Golden Hair. This book is listed on the buyback program with my publisher. Which means, my publisher will buy back any unsold books from a bookstore.

However, I do not have any avenues to begin, and I thought I’d ask the folks from DetroitYes.

I am already committed to be at Lincoln Memorial University for the Mountain Heritage Literary Festival during the dates of June 10th 2009 through June 28th 2009. After and before those dates I am available for book signing events. I can order my books myself, or the vendor may do so. Any leads would certainly be appreciated. Anyone can reach me through my official author’s Web site of www.johnniesuebridges.com

Thank you, DetroitYes folks, and God Bless!
Johnnie Sue Bridges

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Read Between the Lines Books in Milford.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2334
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just some ideas in Detroit:

1. John K. King Books
2. Detroit Public Libraries
3. The Russell Bazaar
4. The new Welcome/Tourism Center on Woodward
5. Spring festivals and art fairs

Ombili
Username: Ombili

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could try the Motown Writers Literay Network for more support and information. http://www.motownwriters.homes tead.com

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk to Cary Loren ("Destroy All Monsters") over The Book Beat in Oak Park. http://www.thebookbeat.com/

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a bunch, East_detroit, Sean_of_detroit,Ombili and Kathleen

Your suggestions are very much appreciated.

The Historical Society in Kentucky has accepted my books as a true account and has placed them in the museum. That is quite the honor, especially when you had no clue that you even belonged to any traceable roots whatsoever. There is a historian there that has traced my lineage back to perhaps the first soldier to die in the Revolutionary War. I just got that news today and it is very exciting. She is still not positive on that, but it looks as though it is a matter that has been recorded in the American Revolution historical documents. Samuel Crowley was his name. :-)
Thank you all again.
God Bless
Johnnie Sue

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 586
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I happened to be at an event at the Bookbeat when someone asked Cary Loren about finding a publisher for his writings. Cary strongly suggested that the writer put their work online so they could get the honest opinion of those who read it rather than the ego stroking opinions of friends and family who are naturally supportive.

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Read Between the Lines in Milford went out of business... Is it back???

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.