Discuss Detroit » Archives - March 2009 » How do you get old yearbooks, from dps schools? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know alot of people who want their class yearbook,but there is no publisher,or no place to order them. I do have my own yearbook,but i would like yearbooks from a few years prior and a few years after i graduated.I went to Cody High.I looked on ebay and they had some real old ones from the 60's. i have a friend who wants one from 1976 Highland Park high school also.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/b urton/mi_det_gene.htm

The Burton collection.
The above website states that they have many, but not all, Detroit HS yearbooks.

Opps, I misread your post. It looks like your looking to get a yearbook(s) and not just look at them.

(Message edited by rjk on February 27, 2009)

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 716
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ebay!

English
Username: English

Post Number: 472
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd contact your old high school or alumni association (if the high school has closed down).

My little sister took my high school yearbook to school with her while I was away for college. I haven't seen it since shortly after I graduated. But eh... most of my high school classmates are on Facebook, so it's not as if I'm lacking contact with folks!

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 973
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you tried contacting the schools??? They usually have surplus copies of old school yearbooks.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6703
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found mine (1972) on sale at the local public library a few years back for a couple of bucks.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 974
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Since when?"

Daddeeo,
In the past 33 years, every Detroit Public High School I've worked at has had a storage room or closet full of multiple copies of old yearbooks, generally from the 60s onward. Whether they choose to make the effort to go thru the books, search for specific years and make them available to the public is up to the specific school. They will usually sell surplus copies for a small donation to the school's alumni fund.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 503
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THat's good to hear. Is that where they hold the current school books that kids need?

Daddeeo

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be a school board member.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 176
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen some old yearbooks at John King Books

Showstoppa
Username: Showstoppa

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also went to Cody High, and I would love to see Cody back in the 60's

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cody is still open,and I haven't contacted them. Some yearbooks from Cody are on Ebay,but they had them from 1963,1964, and 1968.

I have my yearbook from my class period,but I'd love to have other years,because i knew people who came out before me and after me.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 975
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladia,
If you decide to contact Cody for old yearbooks, ask to speak to the yearbook teacher, rather than just asking the secretary that answers the phone.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was one of the editors of the "Navigator" yearbook at Denby H.S. in 1967. We took student, staff and alumni orders, and a few extra copies were ordered for the school library and the "Navigator" office, but that was it...NO extras were stashed away to my knowledge. We had very few yearbooks from previous years on our shelves in the office. I don't know how long Denby had yearbooks, but I doubt that in '67 there were more than a dozen years on the shelf. There are companies that advertise to buy your old yearbooks...they are primarily looking for high school portrait and activity photos of people who are now celebrities. You may do some online searching for "buying yearbooks", etc. I know the books with Jerry Hodak, Wally Cox and Wayne Dyer were not on file in the Navigator office...someone probably stole them and sold them. If anyone needs scans of '65-'67 "Navigator" pages, I'd be glad to oblige as my time permits.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6190
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And to think... after all these years, I finally figured out what the name of my high school year book name "Cairngorm" really is... a mountain range in Scotland...

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Rjk, This is a nice link. Thank you! :-)
http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/b urton/mi_det_gene.htm
Johnnie Sue

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.